2001 Northstar - Head Gaskets blown or not?? I'm stumped!! - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 2001 Northstar - Head Gaskets blown or not?? I'm stumped!! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; As far as engines go, your Deville manual should do the trick. They have the same engines. Yes, there where ...
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 2001 Northstar - Head Gaskets blown or not?? I'm stumped!!

As far as engines go, your Deville manual should do the trick. They have the same engines. Yes, there where changes and upgrades made in 2000. The rest of the Eldo got no changes once it was slated for extinction.

hms200 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DHS / 2001 Eldorado ESC

Yep...agree Ranger...thx. Major mechanical changes over the last 5-6 years I believe were traction control, extra HP, and new tranny. I think nothing mechanical changed in final 02 model year as well if I recall, other than a special collector option model offered with cosmetic option package.

If I stumble upon an Eldo set for the right price then I'll snag it for future repair value. Otherwise, the 00 Deville set + Alldata should have me covered for the HG project.

I picked up a nice (never used) 2-ton cherry picker (Sunex Model # 5218) on Friday off Craigslist for a great price, less than Harbor Freight best price and a much better unit I believe. A local water meter sales/repair/certification company had bought it for warehouse lifting of huge meters but it wouldn't work for them...so they dumped it cheap. A nice catch...and timely. So, one step closer to going the cradle drop route if need be...but to do so I'll still have to determine how/IF I can block up the raised front after lifting it with hoist so I can then remove hoist for pulling out the cradle from front. Only space I'll have for pulling out the cradle from under car is from the front (not enough space on sides). the unibody sides will support the front end lifted load (minus cradle) if weight properly distributed?

HMS

the unibody sides will support the front end lifted load (minus cradle) if weight properly distributed?
    I believe so.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

I had a bunch of 4x4"s from a construction project when we did the first one, I used pieces stacked up to support the body high enough to take the cradle out on jacks with the tires still on.

Thx zonie...that's exactly what I speculated would have to be done and was exactly my plan if jack stands will not work.

I just completed a trial lowering of the front cradle to test things out. Lowered front cradle about 2" and that provided about 1" extra access at firewall. I can lower a bit further I believe with no danger...nothing is in a bind thus far. I detached all hard lines that were bolted to cradle before the trial...lowered front of cradle down onto two jack stands...worked fine. Of course I completed a fair amount of the top end disassembly as well before the attempt...including the bones, cooling fans, radiator and more. I guess you can say my project is officially underway...just haven't committed yet to in-car or cradle drop. I have my hoist ready though if I opt for a drop.

HMS

Hi all...

Here's my latest update...

I snagged a set of Factory (OEM) Shop Manuals last night on eBay for a pretty good price - 2002 Eldorado, so I'll be well set with that info plus my Alldata access for my specific vehicle.

Project is now underway, finally. I have NOT yet committed fully on in-car vs. cradle drop...but I now have option to go either way since I now have a 2-ton cherry picker.

For the benefit of those that come after me on the blown HG's/HB's issue, I will provide below info. Maybe some will have less questions, concerns or worries on options as I've had up to this point.

Trial Effort to make Northstar Head Gasket / Head Bolt Repair with engine IN-CAR. It can be done...proof is out there. Question remaing is, CAN I DO IT?

WHY? I have no vehicle lift and only limited space. I do however now have a 2-ton hoist and a plan with insight on how to execute a cradle drop without a lift if in-car approach doesn't work for me.

1. Initial limited disassembly of top, including cooling fans, radiator, radiator tank, battery, air filter box, intake air plenum, both bones and other initial access items.
    2. Did NOT remove or disconnect A/C Condenser or A/C system (not yet anyway)...condenser DOES seperate just fine from radiator if you figure out the trick (lift condenser up and back from radiator after removing a few bolts).
    3. Jacked up vehicle from front cradle beam.
    4. Placed jack stands under chassis on both sides, directly behind front wheels and BEHIND rear cradle (not ON cradle), jack stand height of 2nd notch from bottom setting (may vary depending on your stands).
    5. Lowered vehicle onto the jack stands and tested stability.
    6. Placed jack stands under front outer sides of cradle and raised to within ~1" of current cradle height, for safety.
    7. Raised jack from front cradle to point of firm upper pressure on cradle, but NOT lifted off the jack stands behind front wheels.
    8. Carefully inspected entire cradle area from underneath AND above and disconnected any hose straps and other attached items that would obstruct movement or be damaged by same. Only a few things were found that needed this (from underneath...most will flex or move on/with cradle.
    9. Removed front cradle bolts (one on each side).
    10. Lowered cradle onto the jack stands, thus lowering cradle about an inch.
    11. Once again I carefully inspected intire cradle area, from below AND from the top...found NO obstructions or anything in a bind. Everything was either moving with cradle, flexing naturally (rubber hoses, wiring, etc) or was clear altogether.
    12. Jacked up cradle off the front jack stands and then lowered the stands further. For mine that was to the bottom setting.
    13. Lowered cradle back down onto the jack stands and carefully inspected entire cradle area yet a 3rd time.
    14. Measured all clearances. Cradle in front has been lowered 5", clearance from firewall HVAC cover to back valve cover is now 3 1/2", front clearance still very good due to prior fans and radiator removal. Side access (both) are now more obstructed due to being lower. So, rear access is now very good and that is/was the primary area of concern for in-car effort.
    15. Plan now is to swivel the cradle height up/down from this point, between 0"-5" lowered, as needed for project access.

Will keep everybody posted on forward progress from this point. Will now proceed to complete my top end disassembly, moving inward toward the heads, and see how that goes...so far so good.

I suspect that once top end disassembly is complete then there actually will be very little extra effort remaining for dropping entire cradle, if that may become necessary. But, if I can avoid that easily enough then I will have saved a lot of extra effort (maybe) though, so I'm approaching this with a "let's see" attitude, fully prepared to drop it if/when necessary...but will try first to prove in-car with minimal busted knuckles. Holding no false expectations here gents...if I must drop it, then so be it. I just wanna give the "old school" method a whirl first...call me stubborn...call me a rebel. ) The cradle engineering is actually very slick I now see...no wonder you've all (most) have said, "drop it". If I had a car lift then I'd not be giving it even a second thought at this point.

HMS

wantboost is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS 3.6L:HID HEADLIGHT/FOGS:LED INTERIOR/PLATE/TRIANGLE:

can u check cylinder temps with a temp gun?

Quote Originally Posted by wantboost View Post
    can u check cylinder temps with a temp gun?
    Fow what reason...to validate blown gaskets? Already confirmed it, have dropped engine cradle already and pulled both heads. Two failed head bolts on one bank and one failed on the other bank. Will be serting all 20 head bolts when I get back onto the project. Heads looked great...pistons also...just those pesky ol head bolts stripping out. Caddy dealer did NOT sert the block when they had recently rebuilt lower block...shame on them!

Do have a question guys...I cannot for the life of me get the spacers off on either side of block...the raised spacers on each side of head/block to hold it in place. Evidently the dealer tech must have used glued em in so something. Any suggestions gents? Do I dare try and drill/sert those threads with the inserts in place? Haven't measured yet to see if drill bit would even be long enough...doesn't sound safe to me though even if it is. ???

HMS

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS

spacers? you mean the hollow dowel pins to align the heads? if so, they are pressed in. easy to ruin them taking them out. you cannot drill thru them if you plan on serting the block. gotta come out.

Yep...that's what I was trying to describe...didn't know the correct name. So I'll need to manhandle them out for serting and then get new replacements? Do the new ones go right in with a hammer and wood block or how exactly? So they are called "dowel pins"...two per head...four total for engine? Any suggestions for removal? They are as tight as can be!!

HMS

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

dealer probably didn't remove the heads when they did the reseal... that's another grand added onto the job at least (i would think)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Don't know...they "claimed" that, while they couldn't confirm it after the fact, the nature of job would have commanded head removal...and I tend to agree. They replaced all eight pistons, among others things, associated with head slap repair. Didn't you confirm for me rippy from parts list I sent you way back when that head gaskets was on that list?

So, anybody know sure fire way to remove the two stuck dowel pins (if that's what they are called) on each side and how new ones are best installed?

HMS

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

The head alignment pins are hollow... install a tight fitting bolt inside the pin. ... clamp vise grips on the pin... put a wrench on the bolt head... carefully turn the pin using both the vice grips and wrench until it can be removed.

Speedygman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NorthStar 32 Vicky/ 58 CHEVY BROOKWOOD 348, 1983 Manta RX7

Take a 5/8 x 11 Tap, cut threads inside hollow dowel about even with top of block, insert 5/8 threaded rod, use a stack of sockets around the rod, washer nut, tighten nut until it pulls hollow dowel out, or stick a bolt that will just fit inside hollow dowel, pinch dowel with vice grips and pull out.

If that does not work, insert the threaded rod into the dowel and tack weld it to the dowel. Put a piece of pipe over it with the washer and nut and then turn the nut, thus pulling the dowel. No need to replace the dowel. Jake's stud kit comes with 4 studs that have a raised shank to replace the dowels.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.