2001 Northstar - Head Gaskets blown or not?? I'm stumped!! - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 2001 Northstar - Head Gaskets blown or not?? I'm stumped!! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Goeteze was the OEM head gasket supplier for the Northstar, a division of Federal Mogul (which also makes Fel-Pro). Victor ...
    97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

Re: 2001 Northstar - Head Gaskets blown or not?? I'm stumped!!

Goeteze was the OEM head gasket supplier for the Northstar, a division of Federal Mogul (which also makes Fel-Pro). Victor Reinz (a division of Dana) made many of the other gaskets and seals.

I talked to GM of Canada to get the HG's from GM without the bolts in the kit, but they would not do that- instead they just wanted to discount the gasket & bolt sets. Still, Chris @ Rippy would still beat GM of Canada's pricing by a long shot, even with my discounts.

Fel-Pro has been a bit sloppy with their quality control. I wish they'd be more careful with packaging.

hms200 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DHS / 2001 Eldorado ESC

Chris is the same Rippy that has made some replies here? Is ther a website or contact info for him? I have an online source for OEM parts, including the HG sets /w HBs...but I haven't shopped around enough yet to really get sense of how good their price is. In past they have had pretty darn good prices on true GM dealer only items and so-so on GM branded items that are also sold outside of dealers...like AC Delco as an example. I've always been very pleased with Fel-Pro, but I was advised within this or another forum by several to definitely go OEM on these HGs...so I'm listening to that advice. Fel-Pro has gotten sloppy on all packaging?

HMS

Hey also...

Can anybody suggest best source for the factory shop manuals and any idea on what a great deal price might be for the full 3 volumn set?

HMS

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by hms200 View Post
    Chris is the same Rippy that has made some replies here? Is ther a website or contact info for him?
    Chris posts under the screen name RippyPartsDept he's the parts Guru at Rippy Cadillac here in Wilmington, NC. Make sure that you mention this forum to get the discount.

1-800-747-7922 or email him at parts@rippyautomotive.com

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

Can anybody suggest best source for the factory shop manuals and any idea on what a great deal price might be for the full 3 volumn set?
    Ebay is normally the best deal on the Helms FSM.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

http://helminc.com to get the brand new FSM direct from Helm
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Hey also...Can anybody suggest best source for the factory shop manuals and any idea on what a great deal price might be for the full 3 volumn set? HMS
    See Chris's (RippyParts) post, and a new Helm set is, what, $135 - $150 ? eBay has used recent manuals all the time, but get a picture and firm price - usually $35 - $90 or so.

Take a look at www.alldatadiy.com. Then you get all the recalls, Technical Service Bulletins, Diagnostic Trouble Codes, and labor rate info, too.

Thx guys...

I just sent Chris an email for parts quote and I'll check tips on FSM sources. I did see a full 3 vol set on ebay yesterday for ~$120 I believe it was and a 2 vol set (minus wiring) in Amazon for ~$135 I think it was.

As for Alldata, I'm already subscribed for my 2000 Deville and have been looking it over for tips and diagrams on the Northstar. I believe identical engine for 2000 Deville and 2001 Eldorado, but there may be some differences between models for other connecting components, cradle, etc...yes?

HMS

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Maybe some hoses, air ducting, intake airboxes, pipe routing, but the engine/transmission are basically the same.

Thx submariner...I went ahead and subscribed this vehicle thru 2016 earlier today. So no need remains to wonder what's different. My Deville is still covered thru 6/2014 also.

HMS

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Thx guys...

I just sent Chris an email for parts quote and I'll check tips on FSM sources. I did see a full 3 vol set on ebay yesterday for ~$120 I believe it was and a 2 vol set (minus wiring) in Amazon for ~$135 I think it was.
    A brand new set from Helm Inc. is $135. Use that as a guide. Those Ebay prices are high.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    A brand new set from Helm Inc. is $135. Use that as a guide. Those Ebay prices are high.
    Yep...very high! I see a 3-vol set on eBay for $130 and I saw the new Helm price direct from them (and also via Amazon) for $135.

Just snagged a factory set (used) off eBay tonight for my 2000 Deville for only $20 + $9.95 shipping...so it is possible to get them cheap if patient. The 2000 Deville set will probably have much info I need, along with what's provided thru Alldata...but I'm keeping my eye out also for specific 2001 Eldo set.

HMS

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

I got a 98 set for my 97 and the mechanical part is the same. There are probably electrical differences but for doing HG's you are fine.

Agree...I believe the mechanics are identical between the 2000 Deville and the 2001 Eldorado are very-very close. Engine removal between the two models would obviously be quite different, but mechanics of the engine itself I'd expect to be almost the same, if not exact. Example of engine differences...the 2000 Deville has water cooled alternator...2001 went back to fan cooled. Not sure what other subtle differences there may be...but I think they would be in fact, subtle.

I'll keep watching and snag an Eldo set if one happens along at the right price. 99 seemed to be a break year, at least for the Northstar...so 2000-2002 Eldo should be my targets I think. Agree? Maybe just 2000-2001 since I think there were some significant changes made with final model year, at least for the ETC...but mine is the ESC.

HMS

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.