2001 Northstar - Head Gaskets blown or not?? I'm stumped!! - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 2001 Northstar - Head Gaskets blown or not?? I'm stumped!! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I was mistaken about being interchangable front to rear. 0301 tob 0308 codes identify which cylinder is misfiring, 300 just ...
    jimsbox is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 DHS

Re: 2001 Northstar - Head Gaskets blown or not?? I'm stumped!!

I was mistaken about being interchangable front to rear. 0301 tob 0308 codes identify which cylinder is misfiring, 300 just means a misfire

hms200 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DHS / 2001 Eldorado ESC

I don't get a 0301 or 0308...just 0300. You mean one code would indicate left bank and the other would indicate right bank? I'm not aware of any way with my built in to get other data, such as anything down to a specific cylinder number?

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

One code can indicate which CYLINDER is misfiring, i.e. 0301, 0302, 0303.....

Coil packs and plugs have been mentioned. You've replaced the plugs recently, yes? If so, I'd take it to a big chain auto parts store and see if you can get a definitive answer on the misfire, so you can replace the packs. IMHO, though, I'd replace both and be done with it

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Your onboard diagnostics will only give you a P0300 code. AutoZone's scanner will point to the offending cylinder P0301, P0302 .P0303, P0304 etc.

I am pretty sure your ignition cassettes are interchangeable. I think the only difference is the color.

Have your codes pulled by AZ and then swap cassettes and have then read again. If the misfire follows the cassette, you've found your problem.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

the cassettes are not interchangeable due to their shape but the ICM inside them is interchangeable between cassettes ... although usually the ICM is fine and the problem lies in the coils

and getting the specific P030x code is about the only time that you would need to get a scan done at autozone, o'riely, etc
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

I have two brand new DELPHI coil/ICM cassettes for a 2002 Northstar engine sitting on the bench as I type. They are identical except for color. The ICM's are the same GM P/N.

If you check the orientation of each cassette you'll see that they're identical. I'll upload pictures of the two side-by-side if necessary. Otherwise look at the thumbnails in RockAuto and or the diagrams in GMPartsGiant.

FWIW, I picked these two up in '09 when RockAuto blew them out at $108 apiece.

Sub - they are different GM part numbers

1104076 - left/front/grey
    1104075 - right/rear/black

the only difference could be the color but that wouldn't make sense... there's got to be some internal difference
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

I could be wrong Chris, but I swear that the only difference is the color. That's probably the reason for the different part numbers.

Sub,
    You must have a parts store in your garage.

Ok well - this is all very interesting dialog, because I do really want to replace the coil packs - cost having been only reason I've resisted so far.

Rock Auto current price is $178 (right/black) and $188 (Left/Gray) + shipping - typical 5% discount. This is for the DELPHI (OEM) /w module.

AutoZone only carries their house brand (Duralast), plus only the Gray (L) one - and they do not specific for Left or Right (just color Gray) - $193

O'Reilly Auto only carries the Left/Gray only in DELPHI (and they do specific 1 per vehicle, so they are saying Right side only I assume) - $329. They also have L/R in BWD...$194 (R-Gray) and $212 (L-Gray)

Expensive buggers!!

Quote Originally Posted by hms200 View Post
    Ok well - this is all very interesting dialog, because I do really want to replace the coil packs - cost having been only reason I've resisted so far.

Rock Auto current price is $178 (right/black) and $188 (Left/Gray) + shipping - typical 5% discount. This is for the DELPHI (OEM) /w module.

AutoZone only carries their house brand (Duralast), plus only the Gray (L) one - and they do not specific for Left or Right (just color Gray) - $193

O'Reilly Auto only carries the Left/Gray only in DELPHI (and they do specific 1 per vehicle, so they are saying Right side only I assume) - $329. They also have L/R in BWD...$194 (R-Gray) and $212 (L-Gray)

Expensive buggers!!
    Correction on the O'Reilly BWD colors...intended to say it's Left/Gray & Right/Black...the standard GM color scheme.

If I do bite the bullet and replace then I do believe I'll go with Rock Auto Delphi.

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    Sub - they are different GM part numbers

1104076 - left/front/grey
    1104075 - right/rear/black

the only difference could be the color but that wouldn't make sense... there's got to be some internal difference
    There is a 2001 SLS two blocks from here that is running two black cassettes right now, and over the years there have been pictures of 2000+ Northstar engines with a black cassette on the left (2-4-6-8) bank.

Hmm...and as I said in last post, AutoZone only sells one part (the gray one)...assuming qty 2 required per vehicle I guess.

Oh wait...just checked AZ site again and the note says "Front/Gray".

Quote Originally Posted by hms200 View Post
    Hmm...and as I said in last post, AutoZone only sells one part (the gray one)...assuming qty 2 required per vehicle I guess.

Oh wait...just checked AZ site again and the note says "Front/Gray".
    Any junkyards in the area ?? Northstar coil cassettes are a dime a dozen at a DIY pick-a-part.

Ok - all seriousness aside - I discovered what the true difference is...

The color coding between the two is special GM instructional design. It's purpose is to help us all better understand which direction the engine goes back in after dropping it to make the mandatory H/G block repairs.

yeah i guess the color difference would explain the part number difference
    just doesn't make sense as to why the color difference then

oh well

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.