96 Deville high idle.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 96 Deville high idle. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi everyone. I need some help here. I got the car is idling high. I was able to shut the ...
    skeet83951 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Deville

96 Deville high idle.

Hi everyone. I need some help here. I got the car is idling high. I was able to shut the engine off, start it up and it would run at 625 650 RPM. Now it seems like when the temparture goes down to 35 degress the idle goes up and wont come down.
    I have replaced the IAC the TPS andcleaned out ever inch of the thottle body by soaking it in cleaner for 2 days and blowing it out with compressed air. Checked every stinking square inch of the top end of the motor for air leaks. I have checked all the eletrical plugs for dirt and moisture. I have had this thing apart 6 times in the last two weeks. I have now dumped over 300 dollars into just parts alone. I spent 4 hours Friday staring into the engine compart not doing anything, just staring trying to figure this thing out. I have spent numberous hours search these threads and forums.
    I cleared all the codes about 1 1/2 months ago, I regularly check to see if any codes pop up. Nothing, not so much as a peep from any codes come up.

What the hell could this be, is it eletrical, computer, or a devil mouse living in the engine.

Anybody with suggestions, solutions, recommendation. I cant afford to take it to the dealership (hence all the money has gone into part alone).

Thanks for any helpp you can give

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 96 deville high idle.

Depending on temperature the normal cold start sequence is: 1200 rpm for maybe 30 seconds to a minute and a half, 900 or so rpm for another minute or so, then to 650. Entirely possible that, in extreme cold, the IAT may hold fast idle for a while longer.

How much different is your hot idle ?

(Just saw your identical post up in Deville - - - )

skeet83951 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Deville

Sorry for the double post. I went back to find the first post, could find it thinking it didn't go through. I am not sure about the hot Idle spped but, the car is at operating temp. It still running different speeds. once at 200 degrees or even dead cold, the speed is around 1300 jumps from that to 1800 down to 1500 up to 2025. Its really all overthe place. Again I replaced all the obvisiuos parts checked for air leaks. Strange I just cant pinpoint the problem. I drove all day yesterday, temp outside was 40 degrees and no problem. once the dark come and it gets colder, it starts acting up. Like as if the cold may becauseits denser air, causes the idle problem

magistrate_apeman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville Base

Ever discover the problem? I'm going thru the exact same rotten ordeal...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.