3 out of 3: Intake Plenum
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 3 out of 3: Intake Plenum in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; For anyone out there that is wondering what percentage of 00-05 Northstars have a torn intake plenum, for me at ...
    bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

3 out of 3: Intake Plenum

For anyone out there that is wondering what percentage of 00-05 Northstars have a torn intake plenum, for me at least it's 100 percent. We have 3 Devilles in my household, 2 2001's and 1 2002. Last year I bought the second 2001 with a bad plenum. Within 2 weeks of changing it, the other 2001 lit up the SES light with the P0171 and 174 codes. Another torn plenum. I bought the 2002 for my wife this past September with 47k miles on it. I thought I would be off the hook with a plenum for a while. Now the 2002 has never been as good on gas as the 2001's, and had a slight miss at idle. The other day the SES light came on, good old 171 & 174. Just got done installing the plenum tonight, took 1 hr 15 minutes. Had a nice big hole in the bottom. Runs as it should. Hopefully the mileage will be come up a bit now. I'm still 2 out of 3 with the mode actuators, I'm waiting for it to go on the other 2001.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

Re: 3 out of 3: Intake Plenum

that reminds me, i have an extra plenum i can sell. brand new in the box, didnt arrive until i got rid of my DTS

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

At 7 yrs/85K mine is still good, but I fully expect it to go some day soon. How much do you want for it?

johnny kannapo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado

Why are these intakes going bad?

jimsbox is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 DHS

Yes, how common is this failure?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by jimsbox View Post
    Yes, how common is this failure?
    Synthetic rubber, heat, vibration, different rates of expansion between the plastic composite intake manifold and the aluminum throttlebody/water crossover casting, time, and oil and fuel vapor attack.

They all seem to split in the lower part of the bulge (bellows) so my guess is that's the place most subject to collecting moisture and acids from the PCV function - when the engine cools it pools there and the disintegration of the synthetic rubber begins.

For the model 2000,1,2,3,4 Northstar I'll bet it's a 100% failure, BUT time/mileage dependent.

It's probably a good thing that you can't see what's sitting in the bottom of the runner log in the intake manifold........................see that long flat part in this shot of an upside-down manifold ? That's where all the air begins its run up and around the tuned runner for each cylinder.

FWIW, This would be a perfect time to do a thorough TB cleaning - but the inside of the manifold is impossible, so don't even try.

Here's the plenum slipped on the manifold snout............

johnny kannapo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado

Good explanation.

So the clamped TB coupling is the part that fails?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny kannapo View Post
    Good explanation. So the clamped TB coupling is the part that fails?
    Yep - here you go................

Sub, my DHS has 280,000 miles and the plenum has not failed yet. I am wondering, your opinion, replace now before I install the intake manifold or wait and see. Also, while I am at it, any tricks in mating the engine to the trans in the cradle, it was a pain in the nether regions separating the old ones. I am thinking of greasing the torque converter nub and the locator dowels but I am installing it alone with a shop crane.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Jim,
    Not to answer for Sub, but it is amazing that you made it 10 yrs and 280K without replacing the plenum duct. If I had to guess, I'd have to say it's days are numbered. Not expensive or difficult, but since you already have the manifold off, I'd replace it now.

Thanks Ranger. That is pretty much the way I am leaning.

Yepper, yepper..............

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i would advise the same as Ranger, since it takes a bit of labor to get in there to replace the plenum (and the plenum is only about $35, list price) there's no reason to not do it, really

interestingly, i was just talking to one of my techs who was working on an '04 SRX w/ the N* engine and was asking for a plenum
    i questioned him as to why those crack and he didn't give nearly as good of an answer as Sub just did
    what was weird to me was that we've never done one of those plenums before for the longitudinally mounted N*'s before
    i guess they may have improved on the pooling of 'stuff' inside there
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    i would advise the same as Ranger, since it takes a bit of labor to get in there to replace the plenum (and the plenum is only about $35, list price) there's no reason to not do it, really

interestingly, i was just talking to one of my techs who was working on an '04 SRX w/ the N* engine and was asking for a plenum
    i questioned him as to why those crack and he didn't give nearly as good of an answer as Sub just did
    what was weird to me was that we've never done one of those plenums before for the longitudinally mounted N*'s before
    i guess they may have improved on the pooling of 'stuff' inside there
    When the Cross-Over is done it can damage the Plenum Boot. Also if you don't loosen the clamp and just run the throttle body bolts back down after changing the cross-over gsk's you can twist the boot and it will fail.

The next time you see a customer with a bad boot look at the history and 75% or more of the time the Corss-Over was changed with in the last 12 months. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.