Ignition quirks with built Northstar
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Ignition quirks with built Northstar in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Frequently at idle and occasionally under load below 2000 RPM, my Northstar will have what I call an "ignition dropout". ...
    Will's Fiero is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT with built flat-tappet Northstar

Ignition quirks with built Northstar

Frequently at idle and occasionally under load below 2000 RPM, my Northstar will have what I call an "ignition dropout".

The tach will drop instantly by several hundred (up to 500) RPM. This does not represent an actual change in engine RPM, as the engine continues to spin. It appears to represent a momentary loss of signal to the tach. If this happens under load, the car jerks unpleasantly. About 50% of the time this happens at idle, the engine stalls. The stall saver routine in the ECM catches it the other 50%, but this results in an idle surge. I have never known it to happen above 2000 RPM.

I'm going to be troubleshooting the ignition power circuit over the weekend.

Is this a symptom of a common failure mode in Northstars? Ignition module? Coil(s)? Crank sensors?

The engine is bolted up to a 5 speed transmission and installed in an '87 Pontiac Fiero. I did the wiring myself and am confident in it, although the car has been off the road for a while as I built the new engine for it.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Ignition quirks with built Northstar

What year engine is this and are you running it with the OEM ECM/PCM or an aftermarket stand-alone system ?? Crank/cam sensor failures happen, but in the overall scheme of things are not common. You're in a modification area that few owners here have ventured into - your best bet is a Fiero-building member - AJXTCMAN - or CHRFAB. By your own admission the engine is a hodge-podge of several years of parts - difficult to even take a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) at the problem(s).

Will's Fiero is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT with built flat-tappet Northstar

Re: Ignition quirks with built Northstar

Ooops... I guess it would help to know that I have a '95 computer. Obviously I have a coil pack ignition and appropriate crank/block selection to go along with that or it wouldn't run at all.

The rest of the part selection is irrelevant.

It ran well and did not have this problem when I last had the swap running in '04. Something has degraded in that time. I'm going to troubleshoot my own wiring.

I was just wondering if "ignition drops" with symptoms as described were an indicator of a common failure mode on Northstars.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.