Now my deville is overheating !?!?!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Now my deville is overheating !?!?! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; In the past few 1-2 weeks my car has been leaking coolant. Today on the way back home my car ...
    Wicho is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Now my deville is overheating !?!?!

In the past few 1-2 weeks my car has been leaking coolant. Today on the way back home my car overheated. I had the a/c on and the moitor was telling me to turn off the a/c and idle the car. I let the car cool down and checked the coolant level. It was pretty low so I filled her up again. I then started the car and let her idel for about 10 minutes to see if it would heat up again, it went up to 240 so I shut her down. Can it be a leaky hose or a broken hose. I plan on taking it to the caddy dealership and have it checked out and have the o2 sensor replaced. Any help would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Now my deville is overheating !?!?!

Forgot to mention one thing. The other day I went around the back of the car to the exhaust and noticed some fluid in the exhaust pipe. I stuck my finger in the exhaust and got some of the liquid on my finger. I am not sure if it was gasoline but it sure smelled like it. Anyone care to enlighten me on this ? Thanks

Up to what temperature can the N* operate ? I just took a spin around the block and it went up to 240, 250 after I had it parked to see if the fan would turn on which it did. I am dieing to take it to the dealership to get it checked but I don't want to fry it on the way. Please post any info a.s.a.p thanks

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The Northstar (assuming that's what you have. You didn't say.) will go into the limp home mode at about 265 degrees and supposedly not harm the engine. After you filled the coolant, did it go down again? The liquid in the exhaust could be condensation although there usually isn'tt a lot in warmer weather. It might also be coolant if the head gasket is bad. On the other hand, the overheating could be as simple as a slipping water pump drive belt. I would be a little concerned about the low coolant. It had to go somewhere.

The coolant has been going down for a week or so. I have been told to buy some coolant pellets but haven't been able to find them. How would I check for bad head gasket ? I do have a bad o2 sensor and was told it could also be unburned fuel This is my daily driver and I need to fix this a.s.a.p. I am going outside right now to check if I see any loose belts. Take into consideration this is my first car (Im 18) and am sort of familiar with engines. Anything else I can look for ? Thanks so much

Eldyfig is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)

Go to a caddy dealer/ service center for the pellets. They are only about $2-$3 for a pack of 5.

didn't find any loose belts or anything that looked out of the ordinary.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Did you check the water pump drive belt at the rear of the engine?? There is a completely separate belt for the water pump on a Northstar.

Find a cooling system pressure tester (rent/borrow/buy) and pump up the cooling system while it is cold and look for the leak. Most leaks only happen when the system is hot and the engine running when the system self pressurizes....then it doesn't leak when the system cools off and the pressure dissapears.

You cannot be looking very hard for the coolant supplement...!!! The BarsLeaks "golden seal" powder is in every Walmart that I have ever looked for it as well as most ACO stores and any decent autoparts store. Then there is always a GM dealer for the GM coolant supplement pellets. Available anywhere almost.

Chrisfor172 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Could it be the radiator has a leak? the same thing happened to my 94 seville sls. Has 90000 miles. I got a new radiator put in and it's been bone dry since. I had to keep adding fluid and constantly watching the fluid level, but my car never overheated. Now it seems to run a bit cooler with the new radiator. I also changed the thermostat a year ago, from the temperature going a bit high around 230. Now it never goes above 220. Even with the a/c on it hovers around 215.

Belive me bbob, I went and looked for it at walmart again, even asked the guys that work in that sention of the store and they said they have never seen that stuff there. I have even gone to auto zone and a local auto discount and haven't found the stuff. Myabe hard to belive but it's true. I have gone all over my area looking for the stuff. I'll try and snoop around more in my engine after I get home from school. Thanks for the help guys, extra thanks to bbob, always finds a way to reply in my senseless posts

foo
    foo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

In most walmarts, it's next to the antifreeze.

tsandel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Seville STS

My STS is also over heating. I noticed after about a 100 miles of a 200 mile trip that it was running a little hotter then normal and on the return trip it seeme to be fine. Saturday I took it to the store when I was making the 5 mile drive back home alarms started going off and the monitor displayed low coolant, idle motor, shut off motor. So pulled off on the side of the road popped the hood and let it motor cool down and after checking the coolant level which I found to also very low and it was all filled up (suppose to be filled) at the last oil change less then 3,000 miles ago. After getting the car home I started looking for leaks couldn't find any and the belt for the water pump seems to be find. Yesterday I dumped coolant in to it and let is run until it was up to temp and then watched it keep rising. Also the radiator hose is cold and I'm wondering if the thermosta is not working. Any input or suggestions will be appricated.

tarczan is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Same thing happened with my 98 Aurora. After several hours of highway driving or sitting in traffic, smell antifreeze, and noticed leak under engine. Is this head gasket?

Quote Originally Posted by tsandel
    Also the radiator hose is cold and I'm wondering if the thermosta is not working.
    If the car is up to temp and the lower radiator hose is not warming up, the thermostat is definately suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by tarczan
    Same thing happened with my 98 Aurora. After several hours of highway driving or sitting in traffic, smell antifreeze, and noticed leak under engine. Is this head gasket?
    If you have an external leak, check the engine and radiator over real good to see where it may be coming from (hoses, around the clamps, water pump, end tanks of radiator). A head gasket leak would cause the antifreeze to leak internally.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.