chance to buy a N*.....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, chance to buy a N*..... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; This guy I work with has a NorthStar for sale.... kinda.... he said it is a 1996...he thinks.... not sure ...
    Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

chance to buy a N*.....

This guy I work with has a NorthStar for sale.... kinda....

he said it is a 1996...he thinks.... not sure what type, but thinks it is the 275hp version...

Here is the deal, this is the story he got from the kid:

it was a brand new engine, the kid got it for his tech school, built it (had ot be assembled) they got them fired up and ran for a little it, then it was disassembled.....and that's it...

... he said the enigne is complete, the crack is int he block, but the pistons and everythign are out... bascially it would need a simple rebuild kit, and then be rebuilt.... as far as I know, it is basically a new engine, never blown or anything like that, with no wear on it....

... he wants $200, I may be able to talk him down some....

The thing is, it isn't practical... it owuldn't go in any of my cars.... I suppose next year I *could* find a wrecked Eldo ETC or SeVille STS with a bad engine, do a rebuild and swap it in there... have myself a sweet car for (kinda cheap) but I really want a tuck as a next vehichle... not another car (3 already).... or I could rebuild it, then sell it off... I dunno, the guy wants to get rid of it, and he just wanted to let me know about it....

... is this even practical at all? I have helped my father rebuild a Ford 302, I suppose I could do it myself and it would be a learning experience... but on a mint NorthStar?

Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Re: chance to buy a N*.....

i would get a list of N* parts and do an inventory before you go any further. also, how sure are you that the internals are in that good of condition? look at the crank to see if it is egged shaped or anything, inspect all parts for obvious wear. if it is in decent shape, the 200 dollars is not bad at all...considering you know how to rebuild such an engine.

majax is offline 32V Northstar

you cant really go wrong for $200.

foo
    foo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Yea if you don't want it, ill take it as long as it has the heads and all that with it
    I want to rebuild mine but I'd rather not have the car down for so long while I do it so if I could pick one up for $200 and start rebuilding it and then just swap it into the car when i'm done that would be ideal :>

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

I could use the crank and bearings...

caddyshack24 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

i'd definatly pick that up if i had the cash. I somewhere on the forum their isnt really anything to reman. all i know sorry. also, tech school they were learning with it. hard telling what wasnt lubed or set right. but 200$ is still worth it for me when you consider a new engine costs slightly over 5k

the engine is complete... heads, cams, everything... the heads are not on the engine though... basically it needs a rebuild.... I suppose I could part it out if it came down to it... but i know if i had the enigne, and rebuilt it (would be cheap too, just need a basic rebuild kit) then I would be very, very tempted to find a car with a bad enigne and buy it... which would be more money....

I have the money.... maybe it is something i will consider, the guy said he will bring pics in next time we work together...

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

The worst part of basket jobs is the small parts that get lost or misplaced. Some can be very difficult to replace. The ideal situation would be to have the sick takeout motor to rob parts from.

foo

Well like i said, if you don't end up buying it, please let me know. I'll have $200 very quickly plus whatever it costs to ship it here if i have to scrape it off the ground :>
    I don't care if some parts are missing as it's going to be rebuilt with different cams and different pistons/rods and stuff anyway. (probaly set up for supercharger or twin turbo use). Drop it in a 70's or 80's camaro or TA and you get lots of power (of course it won't be mounted transverse in those).....probaly electric water pump and some other small mods.........i've been looking for a project like that to do but all the used northstars are $1500+. If the transmission came with it that would be nice too but not necessary

(ok i read this again, what i'm doing is rebuilding my 99 with some better stuff so a 'new' northstar i buy will be rebuilt to go in my STS and then the one from the sts will get rebuild to go into a project car) .. makes sense now heh

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I know of a 2001 northstar (12k) for sale for $600, and a y2k "parts engine" with a spun rod bearing for $50... the parts engine is in pieces I'm told, but mostly everything is there. Let me know if you guys want his information... it's located in Grand rapids, MI.

foo

Sure i'll take info on both...... I have to check if a 2001 and 2000 engine will work in my 99 since they made some small internal changes. Send over the info please

CadiJeff is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1981 CoupeDeville, 2 1990 Eldorados, 1994ETC ,1992STS

did you mean the there is a crack in the block or the crank is in the block

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Guess he sold them last night... my bad

I have been thinking about this more....

$200 seems like a very fair price... so I was thinking, instead of the 425 or 500 buildup (which probably woudln't have gone how i would like it to) I could do the N*

The plan woudl be to take my time and do it right... I would do it in my basement, buy an engine stand, and the needed tools etc.... then, this coming Spring, I would be on the hunt for an Elderado (preferably an ETC, and maybe '93-'95 to keep the cost down) that had a bad engine, but in nice shape.... now that the cars are getting olde,r I have seen them with bad engines (headgaskets) so I could get a nice shape car for chepa, then put my newly built engine in, and bang, I have a nice, car I always wanted, daily driver...

My question is... I am a very good mechanical person.... but as far as rebuilding a whole engine, the only thing I have done was help my father rebuild a Ford 302....

So how hard would the NorthStar be to rebuild? according to the guy, the crank is already in the block, mostly everything else that needs to be done... I woudl buy a rebuild kit, and a factory manual on rebuild it (factory service manual?)

Is this something I could tackle? I would have the whole winter to do it, the step-by-step book, and of course, these forums.... in the world of things, rebuidling an engine isn't a difficult process.... but is the NorthStar just a bad engine to try and rebuild... and being that this will be my first solo build?

I was also thinking about taking the heads to the family friend that has the machine shop... do a simple job on them... maybe a port and polish, or shave them down slightly etc.... bring the power up.... since it is most likely the 275hp version, it wont have the high-revving top end, but it will have the low end torque... either way, with the work I woudl like to do, and the car, it should be a whole new, and pleasing experience over the 1993 4.9 as far as performance....

So the question is... is this a remotly possible idea? the fact that by next Spring/Summer, I could have a sweet car that I always wanted, and then store the '93 away for awhile (leaving the Olds as the knock-around, winter, anything dirty car etc... would be nice... plus, knowing that I built the enigne myself, woudl defintly make me happy.... but the NorthStar is a complex engine... moreso then a 302... so I don't want ot get in over my head on things.... I need peoples opinions....

Quote Originally Posted by CadiJeff
    did you mean the there is a crack in the block or the crank is in the block
    the crank is in the block... sorry for the spelling error.... the pistons are out and need to be put in etc.... I suppose if the crank is in, the mains are all in and tightend down as well... that helps....

*if* I decided to do this, I know I will need to invest in a good torque wrench (don't even have one) and a ring compressor..... and the enigne stand obviosuly... plus my normal tools i have... not sure what else I would need....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.