maybe not HG?????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, maybe not HG????? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Ive have posted a few post about my deville on here....well recently i had brought a used engine with a ...
    abplilbrandon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 deville

maybe not HG?????

Ive have posted a few post about my deville on here....well recently i had brought a used engine with a warranty that was not suppose to overheat.....and after i got it installed the car was still overheating...I thought it was the HG on this one and i was ready to drive back to the place and return it but i figured i would try to Gasket test that i rented from autozone. I did the test (Followed the directions) and the liquid didnt turn yellow as a matter of fact it didnt turn colors at all....... well my question is how accurate are these things? i think i am going to take it to dealer so that if it is the head gasket i can take that paper down to the company i brought the engine from to return it...But if it isnt the gasket i dnt wanna drive all the way to the place i brought the engine from and then they look at it and see it isnt the headgasket..... w

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Water Pump Housing Hot in second

used the block tester again today and still the liquid didnt change any colors at all but my water pump housing seems to be getting super hot within like 1 minute of starting the car....is that normal????? Nothing else around the engine is hot until the car runs for about 10 mins

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: maybe not HG?????

The test kits are pretty accurate, but if you added coolant just before the test it can give a false negative. Let it overheat a few times and then do the test again.

i think i am going to take it to dealer so that if it is the head gasket i can take that paper down to the company i brought the engine from to return it.
    That might come in handy should they decide to contest your findings.

I merged your two threads. Please don't start multiple threads for the same problem. People can't keep tract of what is going on and you'll get nowhere fast.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Surge line, pressure cap, water pump drive, and a long shot, clogged radiator.

What was said about fresh coolant is 100% correct. Is it losing coolant without a leak?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Water Pump Housing Hot in second

Quote Originally Posted by abplilbrandon View Post
    but my water pump housing seems to be getting super hot within like 1 minute of starting the car....is that normal?
    Perfectly normal - the water pump, crossover, block, and heater circuit are the only parts that heat up until the entire circuit is hot enough to begin opening the thermostat to allow coolant to flow to the radiator. In cool or cold weather very little coolant flows through the radiator - your heater circuit does a great job of cooling the coolant................

I dont see any leaks i was looking around for it and i didnt see anything although i do seem to see some in places around the hood i am not sure if it was there from the shop though.... i just had it towed to a caddy shop.

mnalep is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Aurora

Quote Originally Posted by abplilbrandon View Post
    i figured i would try to Gasket test that i rented from autozone. I did the test (Followed the directions) and the liquid didnt turn yellow as a matter of fact it didnt turn colors at all....... well my question is how accurate are these things? w
    I just went though a long period of testing my head gasket using the blue liquid from Autozone. The stuff from Autozone barely changed color after several minutes of trying.

Then I bought the blue block test fluid from NAPA, and it changed from blue to green in under 15 seconds - indicating head gasket leak. In my opinon - the stuff from Autozone is not accurate.

Yet another AZ product failure.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The chemical liquid in the Lisle #75500 tester changes in a hurry - we ran some lawnmower exhaust into a washtub and used the tester with a hand vacuum pump to sniff it - no doubt about it - yellow.

www.sjdiscounttools.com/lis75500.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.