Removing EGR on northstar
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Removing EGR on northstar in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; The EGR sits right behind the TB with plug going into the top, the black looking can right? Well i ...
    drewb612 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Removing EGR on northstar

The EGR sits right behind the TB with plug going into the top, the black looking can right? Well i took the two bolts off on it and i cant seem to figure out how to remove it, i need to clean it so this is important, any tips?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Re: Removing EGR on northstar

You might have to tap it sideways with a wooden tool to persuade it to break loose.

would a hammer work, could i break it?

growe3 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1993 STS and 2004 DTS

It is just sticking to the gasket. Careful tapping with a rubber mallet or a piece of wood to cushion a hammer will loosen it. Use care to avoid bending the metal rod that protrudes from it, on the inside.

-George

Anthony Cipriano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by drewb612
    The EGR sits right behind the TB with plug going into the top, the black looking can right? Well i took the two bolts off on it and i cant seem to figure out how to remove it, i need to clean it so this is important, any tips?

Did you take the bolts out completely or just the two nuts off? There are two stud headed bolts holding the EGR valve on. There are then other brackets and/or a shield that is help on to the stud headed bolts by two nuts. You have to remove the two nuts first, then remove the shield and/or brackets and then remove the two bolts. The hexes for the bolts are obvious once the shield is removed.

It sounds like you haven't removed the bolts yet, just the nuts. You shouldn't have to do anything forceful to remove the EGR once the fasteners holding it on are removed. Don't hit it with a hammer or anything to loosen it. Find out what's holding it.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

If I remember correctly one side of it has a nut on it. The other side is a stud. The nut on top of the stud holds the fuel line. After that nut is removed you then need to remove the stud. Then it should lift off.
    Never mind. We posted at the same time. Listen to Anthony Cipriano.

this is my project for monday, thanks!

growe3 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1993 STS and 2004 DTS

You don't note what year car you are working on, but I think the Northstars are all about the same as per the EGR Valve.

Try looking at the image I have from the 1993 manual. The link below will go to my web storage site.

Northstar EGR Image and Notes

-George

ill take a look, thanks

well i see the last bolt holding it on, but the fuel line thing is in the way and i cant get it off, any tips?

A little gentle persuasion worked for me. There is a little flex in the fuel line. Just push it over a bit. As I recall it only took a 1/4" or so. You may have to loosen a fuel line mount.

Wolfpath2004 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V (Silver)

Ranger is right. i just moved the fuel line over a bit. then you should be able to get to the stud.

I just had my SS fuel rail installed. I'm afraid the next time won't be so easy.

haymaker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    I just had my SS fuel rail installed. I'm afraid the next time won't be so easy.
    It is a lot more work to remove the EGR after the SS recall installation. The little bit of give that was in the old plastic fuel rail to lift the retaining plate off the EGR stud-bolt is no longer there with the SS rail.
    I again, removed and cleaned my EGR two weeks ago. This time after the SS fuel rail installation. I needed to remove the new SS fuel rail to remove the inside EGR retaining stud- bolt. I tried to just remove the SS retaining bolts at the intake and pull the front (closest to the EGR) side up just enough to removed the remaining EGR stud-bolt but by that time the entire SS fuel rail was removed. It takes three times as long to remove the EGR as before when the old plastic fuel rail was on the engine.
    One good thing I found was that the new rail comes off and installs a lot easier than the old plastic rail with all itís retainers. Too bad they didnít drop the SS retaining plate down 5/16Ē at the EGR and replace the stud-bolt with a standard bolt and washer. That would have made the EGR removal easier than before.

Quote Originally Posted by haymaker
    It is a lot more work to remove the EGR after the SS recall installation. The little bit of give that was in the old plastic fuel rail to lift the retaining plate off the EGR stud-bolt is no longer there with the SS rail.
    I again, removed and cleaned my EGR two weeks ago. This time after the SS fuel rail installation. I needed to remove the new SS fuel rail to remove the inside EGR retaining stud- bolt. I tried to just remove the SS retaining bolts at the intake and pull the front (closest to the EGR) side up just enough to removed the remaining EGR stud-bolt but by that time the entire SS fuel rail was removed. It takes three times as long to remove the EGR as before when the old plastic fuel rail was on the engine.
    One good thing I found was that the new rail comes off and installs a lot easier than the old plastic rail with all itís retainers. Too bad they didnít drop the SS retaining plate down 5/16Ē at the EGR and replace the stud-bolt with a standard bolt and washer. That would have made the EGR removal easier than before.
    Hmm, sounds like a little modification is in order the next time I have to remove the EGR. In all reality though, I may never need to do it again. I did mine last summer (03) with about 75K on the car and it was no worse than light soot, so I probably will not touch it again til it acts up or throws a code.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.