fuel rail
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, fuel rail in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; hey everyone, im new to the forum, i just cleaned the phelonic spacers on my 1996 STS by reading some ...
    tekfx19 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Angry fuel rail

hey everyone, im new to the forum, i just cleaned the phelonic spacers on my 1996 STS by reading some archived stuff about the 94 northstar.(i hope theyre the same) Anyways, i took off the intake manifold and as well as the throttle body, i gave everything a good cleaning. i could have used a spoon to clean the junk out of the tb. After i put everything back.... BIG PROBLEM. I went to turn on the engine, and theres a microscopic hole in the hard plastic hose, that is located to the right of the fuel pressure regulator, which is leaking gas shooting it straight into the air! The hose is the one that is connected to to the fuel pressure regulator and the injector directly to the right of it. I have been searching for posts but cant find anything. i need to replace the hose but its really(extremely) hard to take off. Do i need to replace the entire fuel rail? or just that part? if so what is that part called? can i just wrap it up and drive the car? I think im screwwed. btw i also took of my maf screen, even tho i cant drive the friggin car yet to see if there is any difference.

1996 sts 102k

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: fuel rail

You should be able to just fix the hose........ Most likely you will need to cut the hose......

You will not be able to just wrap it up, since the the fuel pressure regulator maintains pressures in excess of 50psi.......

To fix it, you will need to take out the fuse to the fuel pump, and crank the engine a few times to release the fuel pressure, and then just replace the hose.......

Dont heed my words and start at it now, someone else will need to chime in and either correct me/confirm me.......

Also, Welcome to the forums!!!!

AKPsiMC03 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    does anyone make, or are there any metal fuel rails that will fit a northstar?

Ive had bad experience with plastic hoses being used as fuel lines before.

Besides, metal fuel rails would look sweet under there.

Plastic is not good for fuel lines, except that it wont corrode........ I dont know if anyone makes metal lines, but i bet someone does...... Start googling!!!!

i appreciate all your help. i think im gonna do that thing elwesso said to do. i called up pepboys and they said its a dealer item, so i gotta wait to tomorrow to do anything. does anyone know what that thing is called? an injector hose? injector cable? anyways i just hope its not gonna be to much to replace, i still havent gotten it off the car yet, im trying my best not to cut it but if it comes down to it ill get my sword out and slice the damn thing open.

2dfx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by AKPsiMC03
    does anyone make, or are there any metal fuel rails that will fit a northstar?

Ive had bad experience with plastic hoses being used as fuel lines before.

Besides, metal fuel rails would look sweet under there.
    Ya I know how to get metal fuel rails =

it's called stick with the 4.9. Damn North* fools, switch out the 4.9 and there ya go. You even get more low-end power, and a water pump that ain't connected to the camshaft too! I see nothing but benefits!

BTW - It's not a 'hose' it's a 'vacuum line'. And maybe the reason it was so hard to get off was because the fuel system was pressurized! Try depressurizing it first, then try to twist the line off. It's not threaded so twisting should get it loose!

It should just be called a fuel line......

Tink is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by tekfx19
    i appreciate all your help. i think im gonna do that thing elwesso said to do. i called up pepboys and they said its a dealer item, so i gotta wait to tomorrow to do anything. does anyone know what that thing is called? an injector hose? injector cable? anyways i just hope its not gonna be to much to replace, i still havent gotten it off the car yet, im trying my best not to cut it but if it comes down to it ill get my sword out and slice the damn thing open.

So how did it work out? Where you able to change out the section that was bad? How'd you do it.

YEs the story has a happy ending....that same day i went to pep boys and bought some fuel line hose, for like 5 bucks and then i took some cutters and guestimated the length i needed to cut to make it fit right(about an inch and a half) then i took off the fuel rail from the intake manifold....but left it attached to the 2 metal fuel lines cuz i didnt know how to get them off....so i didnt want to risk anything. I had enough room work with it though....then i very forcefully cut off the plastic section between the injectors that was broken and put the new hose on and clamped it, the hard part after making everything nice and tight with the hose was getting the damn injectors and fuel rail and throttlebody and intake manifold all sitting properly back where it was....putting that stuff back took about 6 hours. then after praying for about 15 minutes i started the car, and it struggled as fuel was going back into the rail and pressurizing again...and i looked and NO MORE LEAK! i drove it for a couple of days without the caddy plastic engine cover on it to make sure but i never had a problem with it since then...and the only noticable change with the car after this happend (which i dont know whether this has anything to do with or not) is the gas milage went down a gallon or so from 16.5 to 15.3, which i think was because i was getting on it alot afterwords to test it under hard pressure.......OTHER THAN THAT IT DRIVES BEAUTIFUL AGAIN....total cost of fuel rail fix approx: 5$ and about 11 hours of labor.

ps while i had all the stuff off, i cleaned the inside of the tb and the egr valve as well...

pps i am getting magnaflow mufflers on the car because the muffler guy said they were better than dynomax... can anyone attest to this on a 96 sts??? i already have the k&n cone so he said they would compliment each other increasing gas mileage and loudness etc....

cadfan is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by tekfx19
    YEs the story has a happy ending....that same day i went to pep boys and bought some fuel line hose, for like 5 bucks and then i took some cutters and guestimated the length i needed to cut to make it fit right(about an inch and a half) then i took off the fuel rail from the intake manifold....but left it attached to the 2 metal fuel lines cuz i didnt know how to get them off....so i didnt want to risk anything. I had enough room work with it though....then i very forcefully cut off the plastic section between the injectors that was broken and put the new hose on and clamped it, the hard part after making everything nice and tight with the hose was getting the damn injectors and fuel rail and throttlebody and intake manifold all sitting properly back where it was....putting that stuff back took about 6 hours. then after praying for about 15 minutes i started the car, and it struggled as fuel was going back into the rail and pressurizing again...and i looked and NO MORE LEAK! i drove it for a couple of days without the caddy plastic engine cover on it to make sure but i never had a problem with it since then...and the only noticable change with the car after this happend (which i dont know whether this has anything to do with or not) is the gas milage went down a gallon or so from 16.5 to 15.3, which i think was because i was getting on it alot afterwords to test it under hard pressure.......OTHER THAN THAT IT DRIVES BEAUTIFUL AGAIN....total cost of fuel rail fix approx: 5$ and about 11 hours of labor.

ps while i had all the stuff off, i cleaned the inside of the tb and the egr valve as well...

pps i am getting magnaflow mufflers on the car because the muffler guy said they were better than dynomax... can anyone attest to this on a 96 sts??? i already have the k&n cone so he said they would compliment each other increasing gas mileage and loudness etc....
    This is not an uncommon fix seen in shops done by owners. One problem, why we se them in the shop- with the pressure folwing through the hose, what did you use to keep the hose on the fuel injectors? and what hose did you use. Looking at the price- Im guessing regular fuel line. Thats good for low pressure fuel systems, but with the preesures run now adays, Ive seen hose hjave problems w/ expansion and blow. Fuel on engine, engine on fire. Make sure you keep an eye on the hoses for signs of failure. Really the only good fix is the oem part. I know its $$$ but...

Or you can go to pepboys and get fuel injection hose..... More expensive, but it can handle up to 100psi..... And is probably just as good as OEM......

4T-80E is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    All this talk about about PEP BOYS is rather unsettling.

I've seen northstar fuel rails develop pinholes on the hard plactic portion and it isn't uncommon. The only fix is to replace the fuel rail.

By patching the rail w/regular fuel hose you have just turned your car into a 4500lb molatov cocktail- even a used fuel rail is better than what ya got.

I apologize in advance for the tone of this reply, but jees, just to save a few bucks your putting your life and the well being of your passengers in the hands of a $5 piece of hose. The PEP BOYS are shaking their heads................

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.