Question: Is it possible to drill and tap a hole for the torque strut on a 96 north*?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Question: Is it possible to drill and tap a hole for the torque strut on a 96 north*? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I'm looking at trying to install a 1996 northstar in my 99 STS. Is it possible to drill and tap ...
    miwise is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Seville STS

Question: Is it possible to drill and tap a hole for the torque strut on a 96 north*?

I'm looking at trying to install a 1996 northstar in my 99 STS. Is it possible to drill and tap the extra holes required for the torque strut on the passenger side wheel well? I'm talking about the changes made in 1998. I'm thinking its not possible but has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Question: Is it possible to drill and tap a hole for the torque strut on a 96 nor

I don't want to do anything that will compromise the integrity of the engine. If its safe to do though I would like to find a way to use the engine.

Re: Question: Is it possible to drill and tap a hole for the torque strut on a 96 nor

My next idea. To see if its possible to make a 96 engine into a 98 type with the extra holes for the torque strut on the front of the engine by swapping the lower ends. I have an extra lower end from an engine that seized up (my original engine) and am thinking that it may work without having to tap anything. This would allow me to mount the 96 into my 99 sts without tapping anything. I won't have to disconnect anything (except maybe the main bolts). Only draw back: I have to reseal the lower girdle. That plus take the heads to a reputable machine shop in Lafayette plus Jakes studs. I should have the equivalent of my original engine. On my way home now so I should be able to analyse my original engine when I get there.

smooththg6969 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville SLS( parts) ,98 sts

I think the timing chain cover is different. And I don't believe there's any material to drill and tap behind the cover on the pre 98 blocks. I have a 96 block in my 99 Seville. what i actually did was I grinded some material away on the aluminum bracket where it touches the cover I removed enough to bolt the bracket to the block with out it touching the cover I know its sound s shade tree but I was in a bind and needed my car.Also the hole you are refering to is for the front (left?) engine mount not the torque strut.

Correct. Right next to timing cover. I've been studying the designs. I'm wondering if I can use the lower engine girdle that has my hole already there? How are these blocks cast? In seperate pieces or as a unit then split?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The block/cylinder liner unit is one piece, the lower block half/main bearing cap/ stud girdle is another, and the oil pan is a third - all 3 bolt together to form a very rigid assembly. The machining to accomplish this must be quite something to watch.

If you're trying to restrict or damp engine twist due to torque at high throttle openings, you want the damper/strut/dogbone as far away from the center of (torque) effort as possible, hence the dogbones out on the heads on earlier models: it's a LOT easier to restrict motion when the damper is way out in radius from the center of effort. You can mess with 1/2" to 3/4" up around the heads, but you're fooling with only 1/8" to 1/4" of motion down low.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Actually I'm talking about the extra motor mount that bolts to the engine next to the timing cover. Introduced in 1998 with the redesign of the seville line. I've been looking at both engines and am pretty sure it's possible to convert a 96-97 engine into a 98 -99 engine by swapping heads and the girdle. That way I don't have to mess with crank and rods/pistons.

Update on existing engine: developed a knock so I believe one of rods is comin loose

Update on

You must be talking about something I am not aware of. The only "Torque Strut" I am aware of is what we usually call the "Dog Bone". That is what my home made ones replaced.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Huh...be careful what you wish for! I have them on my '97 and they seem to only last about 2 years. Not sure if is the way I drive or the rubber bushing is just cooked by the engine heat (as is always cracking on the engine side). Probably the failure is a combination of the two but is still frustrating every 2 years $50 on dog bones. By the way, has anybody tried to press the bushing in/out on these things as I saved few of the older dog bones with one good bushing? The other thing is that every time I buy new ones I spend some time to buff the aluminum to a nice shine and is just work for nothing as the don’t last.

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/online/P...exID=6K0000101
    See number 19 on the diagram. That's the mount I'm referring to. I've heard it called several things including a torque strut. 98 northstars were redesigned to accommodate this in the seville. Jake has a post about differences bw model years in this forum. To me when analyzing a 96 and a 99 side by side it looks like I could bolt my 99 girdle on the 96 to accommodate this. I have a 96 I was able to do compression reading on but it seems after doing compression reading it was very uneven. Here's the results:
    Cyl 2-4-6-8 was 30-60-80-120
    Cyl 1-3-5-7 was 210-210-210-175

Bad block I believe so I'm still searching for a good deal on a block

That is an engine mount bracket, a torque strut (or dog bone) looks like this:

This is the driver side (longer one), the right side one looks exactly the same only the arm is less than half the length.

Ah. Mine didn't have that. The dog bone that is

See number 19 on the diagram. That's the mount I'm referring to.
    That is a motor mount "bracket", not a torque strut as shown above.

The N* equipped Cadillacs with dog bones are: ‘93-’97 Seville, ‘93-’02 Eldorado, the ‘92-’93 Allante and ‘94-’99 Deville, thus a '99 Seville will not have them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.