Better Mileage out of LD8 Northstar
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Better Mileage out of LD8 Northstar in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Not too long ago I bought a 97 SLS off of my uncle after my previous car (99 Intrepid) died. ...
    Country200711 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac SLS, 1991 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Question Better Mileage out of LD8 Northstar

Not too long ago I bought a 97 SLS off of my uncle after my previous car (99 Intrepid) died. That being said I went from a car that gets 26mpg/highway & 22 or 23 mpg/city to my large barge (which I love) that gets 23mpg/highway & 18mpg/city. So what I'm wanting to know is any useful information on how to get better fuel mileage out of an LD8 Northstar.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: Better Mileage out of LD8 Northstar

That's the price you pay to drive a large, comfortable luxury sedan. You should be able to get 26 on straight highway driving (long road trips). Might check to see that your FPR is not leaking (see the Tech Tips section). Other than that, your mileage sounds about normal and about the only thing you can do that MIGHT improve it is to place an egg between your foot and the accelerator and try not to break it.
    94CaddyConcours likes this.

Cool Re: Better Mileage out of LD8 Northstar

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Other than that, your mileage sounds about normal and about the only thing you can do that MIGHT improve it is to place an egg between your foot and the accelerator and try not to break it.
    Hahaha, I'm 21 with a Northstar V8 that egg wouldn't make it for 3seconds lol.
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

I understand completely. Been there.

Funny thing is right now I'm wanting to get gas mileage any way I can, but in the end I plan on hot rodding the car.... 21yo we want it all LOL

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

You're gonna cry when you find out there's absolutely no "hot-rodding" to be done on a 1997 SLS. What you see is what you have.......mufflers will make it noisier, but the entire exhaust system ahead of them is the problem, and when you get under the car you'll see why. No MAFs, no throttlebodies, no injectors, no magic air filters, it already has a perfect CAI.........and so on.

You have the highway package: a 275 hp engine coupled to a 3.11:1 final drive. No other gears available.

mhamilton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 XJ8-L, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(

I'd follow Ranger's advice, I get a minimum of 26 mpg highway with my LD8. Regularly see 27-28 mpg highway, have gotten as good as 30 mpg. I don't think the roller cams in my 2000 are contributing that big a difference, but if I get silly with the gas the mpg quickly drops to the low 20s.

Yeah, I find that "Instant MPG" display to be handy, when I can do highway driving I get from 26-30mpg. But the accelerator is killer, I've watched it go from 26mpg to ooh about 14 or 15mpg... not that the drastic change has anything to do with my shoe size or age, of course. But as far as hot rodding a Northstar, I've found one company that has it down to an art, even been featured in Hot Rod Magazine. Cadillac Hot Rod Fabricators.
    They ain't cheap by any means, but they know how to modify a Cadi.

.............the Northstars they modify can be used in Fiero kit cars and sand rails, NOT FWD Seville and Deville platforms.

CHRFAB has been discussed in here for years - they do some great work, but unfortunately it doesn't help us FWD drivers.

Well there goes that idea... but if I ever get to build a dune buggy like I want to, I have a wild idea in mind. (Partly because my father knows someone who did it). Well I guess my Northstar will have "to do". However I have found out that I can get 26-28mph at 75mph, takes some feathery peddle work but it's possible. However, I don't even wanna think about the mileage the one time I had it over 100mph ........ Good thing my father isn't on this forum

Rocket88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Pontiac GXP

Damn, I wish I had gas mileage like you get! Add 3.71's to your engine and watch the mileage drop down to 22-23...

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS Performance Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post
    Damn, I wish I had gas mileage like you get!
    Add 3.71's to your engine and watch the mileage drop down to 22-23...
    Thats about what I get...21 to 23...depending on how heavy my right foot is.

Jim

The 2000-2003 STS, ETC and DTS, with the 3.71:1 final drive, will get 22.5 to 24.5 mpg highway on 87 octane. Perhaps 0.1 mpg more with 91/93.

The same year group SLS, ELC, and Deville Base/DHS, having a 3.11:1 final drive, will get about 24.5 to 27.5 with the same gas.

These are LONG TERM highway averages which depend on load, weather, ambient temperatures, tire inflation, and wind speeds; city driving will just about cut those figures ^^^ in half.

Magic potions may vary those mileages by .03%, but they increase the price of a tank of gas by 25%. Do the math.

I wind up doing a lot of city driving, but between the city and a feathery right foot (most of the time lol) I'm averaging about 21mpg overall. But if I could do mostly highway miles I could get that up to about 24-25 overall. I just use the instant MPG setting and do me best to keep the instant in the upper 20's, along with using 93octane. But with the way the motor runs, feathering that peddle take a LOT of restraint.

STSS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '03 STS 122K, '01 STS 161K - 3/3/11

I'm happy when I'm getting 18 long term average.

I've seen 16 long term ave before.... I have no clue why though Damn Backroads!
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.