How much coolant
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, How much coolant in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Just got finished putting a engine in my car a 2000 dts.I wanted to know if I was putting enough ...
    1996p71 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

How much coolant

Just got finished putting a engine in my car a 2000 dts.I wanted to know if I was putting enough coolant in the system and if I was doing it right.I started off with 2 gallons of antifreeze is that enough I noticed the coolant capacity is 10.1 qts which means I need another quart.what's the correct fill procedure cap on or off?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: How much coolant

Fill it to the halfway point in the surge tank. Start the engine and rev to 3 - 4K a few times to purge any air in the system. Top off as necessary. Rev it again and check it. Once it has stabilized, cap it up before it reaches operating temp and overflows. Check it again after the nest 2 or 3 drives in case it still needs a little top off.

You never get all the coolant out of it when you drain it. That's why the discrepancy.

Well when I was revving it up the coolant level didn't go anywhere it just sat there.I also put the heat on and didn't feel anything.When I am revving it up is the cap supposed to be on or off?about how long does it take to fill the system and about how many gallons?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The coolant reservoir is extremely low-flow. You'll never see coolant "moving" in there except for the flow from the purge line (NOT the overflow line, if any.). If that does not emit a steady flow of coolant (remove it and hold the end in the tank neck), it's clogged somewhere, maybe all the way back at the hollow bolt/nipple at the water pump housing.

I believe the entire system holds right at 3 gallons if the whole thing was drained dry.

Well when I was revving it up the coolant level didn't go anywhere it just sat there.
    Then it's probably full.
    about how long does it take to fill the system
    As long as it takes to pour in coolant, rev the engine a few times and top it off.

well today i went and filled it up with another half gallon which makes 2 1/2 gallons.The heat started working and all and the funny thing was when i filled it up cold this morning there was nothing in there.Do the caddys only suck in coolant once the car is off because when its running it just sits the lower radiator to water pump hose never got hot just the upper hose.Ive never had a car that was this difficult to fill i figured maybe because the engine was dry.Another thing i let it run for about a half hour and the needle started moving pass the middle then i cut the heat on and it returned im puzzled

and whats this purge line and overflow line is that the thing coming out the reservoir

Depending on your cooling system configuration there is/are one/two hoses coming off the coolant reservoir: If one hose comes off the neck area and drops down toward the pavement that's an overflow line. If another hose comes off the upper side area of the reservoir jar itself and runs under the engine beauty cover to a bolt nipple at the water pump housing, that's a purge line: It is designed to pass off air and gasses from the coolant into the normal airspace in the reservoir. It's the mechanism which insures that the coolant contains no air bubbles, thereby increasing heat transfer and lowering water pump cavitation. As posted, the proper coolant level is halfway up in the reservoir, COLD. Don't attempt to adjust coolant level with the engine hot - screw that cap on and leave it alone until the engine is cold.

Do the caddys only suck in coolant once the car is off
    No. It fills as you fill the surge tank, but the drier it is, the harder it is to purge all the air. Last time I did a coolant change on mine it took 3 drives to finally stabilize it. Not sure where the air hides or how it does not get purged right away (sometimes it does).

and why does my lower hose to water pump stay cold

and forgot to add the heat is hot as hell it doesnt overheat or nothing the hose just stays cold

Under what conditions does the lower radiator hose stay "cold" ? Idling in the driveway is one thing - after a 10 mile highway run is another.

MOST of the coolant flow, during initial warmup and driveaway, is through the heater core. That core is a very efficient miniature radiator, and with heat and temperature set at, say 75 degrees, the heater will literally do most of the engine cooling in cool/cold weather. It takes time to heat up the whole engine - that's a big chunk of metal - and the thermostat doesn't even begin to open until the coolant hits 188 degrees - that's HOT - and it's not fully open until 206 degrees which is 6 degrees below boiling at atmospheric pressure; stick your finger in a pan of boiling water - that's about how hot your coolant normally runs. You would be amazed at just how little coolant really circulates through a Northstar radiator.

..........and remember; if you have the HVAC set to AUTO or A/C ON then the heater passes off even more heat because that incoming air is COLD and the blend doors open toward more heat to compensate.

well it happens while idling i havent took it on the highway yet so i dont know didnt know youre in maryland submariner im in bmore but is this like a thermostat issue and can it do any damage

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Did you add 2 gallons of antifreeze, full strength? Or was it already diluted 50%?

We hope he's using a 50/50 coolant to distilled water mixture.

The first time you shut down and the system cooled and the reservoir was empty is perfectly normal - just maintain the coolant (50/50 mix) at halfway up in the reservoir, cold - after one or two checks it will stay there for years with no attention.

Take the car out and drive it. You'll never determine a thing with it sitting at idle for extended periods, and that's not doing the engine or cat any good, either.

Your temp gauge should sit at about 12:00, and if you get stuck in traffic it will edge toward 1:00 and fans will go to SLOW (if you have no A/C function set, in which case fans run in SLOW all the time). If your fans are running in the driveway at idle (an A/C function is set) the engine will never heat up from a cold start.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.