Northstar Swaps - What years are interchangeable and the differences - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar Swaps - What years are interchangeable and the differences in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I'd like to start by saying you guys have provided some great info in what motor are able to be ...
    4THGENCAMAROGUY is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Sebring Silver STS

Re: Northstar Swaps - What years are interchangeable and the differences

I'd like to start by saying you guys have provided some great info in what motor are able to be interchanged with others.

But I have a simple question.

In the first post it says 2000-2003 are interchangeable. Last week I bought an 01 STS that was ran low on oil and spun a bearing...didn't blow a HG surprisingly. Anywho. I called a local yard and they have an 03 but the guy said 03 isn't able to be used on an 01. He said the comp lists 03 by itself and isnt interchangeable with others.

Just want your guy's input as to wether I should get this motor or not.

THANKS

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

This tag is the VIN derivative of the original car the engine was in. The number will also include L37 for the VIN 9 and LD8 for the VIN Y.

The tag on the front of the right cam cover is a build and sequence number only - no engine information there.

aac123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville DTS

For future reference I would like to know if a 2005 VIN 9 motor will work in a 2001 VIN 9?
    If so what modifications? I seen where it said an 04 would work but what about the 05?

Black Beauty DTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac DTS

The '04 and '05 Northstar engines are essentially the same, so if the '04 will work then the '05 should work as well. However, you may have to swap the PCM also, because I believe the timing and fueling parameters are slightly different between the 2005+ and the 2000-04 VIN 9 engines.

What about swapping an 04 engine into an 02 body?

Will there be any issues with the 04 tranny in the 02 body?

teledynamics is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 92 Fleetwood (FWD), 2002 Deville

Cool 4.6 from 2004 deville to 2002 deville?

My 2002 DeVille has over 260,000 miles and now the dreaded head gasket problem has arrived. I have available a 2004 DeVille engine with only 80,000 on it at an attractive price. Both engines are 4.6L but it is about 120 miles from here so even looking at is is a probelm. I have seen pictures of it and it looks clean. My question is does anyone know if this is a drop-in swap or should I expect problems with the electronics? I,m not looking foreward to doing this job but it will be considerably less expensive than inserting the studs, (or timeserts) with the added benefit of less wear on the engine and a few extra parts also.

teledynamics is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 92 Fleetwood (FWD), 2002 Deville

Sorry but this will be a duplicate post, I posted under general before I found this thread. Swap 4.6 from 2004 deville "Y" to 2002 deville"Y"?
    My 2002 DeVille has over 260,000 miles and now the dreaded head gasket problem has arrived. I have available a 2004 DeVille engine with only 80,000 on it at an attractive price. Both engines are 4.6L but it is about 120 miles from here so even looking at is is a probelm. I have seen pictures of it and it looks clean. My question is does anyone know if this is a drop-in swap or should I expect problems with the electronics? I read the sticky about the knock sensors, can they just be tied together as one or just connect one of them?, and would it be necessary to swap the pcm as well? Also there is mention above that the 2004 has changed the AIR from vacum to electronic control, just swap out the valves? Any help will be greatly appreciate, especially before I make the commitment to purchase this and make the drive to get it. I,m not looking foreward to doing this job but it will be considerably less expensive than inserting the studs, (or timeserts) with the added benefit of less wear, an updated engine, and a few extra parts also. Thanx

Re: 4.6 from 2004 deville to 2002 deville?

2000-2004 - any 00-03 will bolt into an 04 body, or any 04 engine will bolt into a 00-03 body but you will need to change camshaft covers, ignition coils, knock sensors (drill & tap a hole for the 2nd knock sensor for a 00-03 engine to go into a 2004 body), and keep the oil filter mount with the engine it came off of. You may need to drill and tap a hole on the L.H. cylinder head for the coil ground strap, if you're installing the 00-03 engine in the 04 body.

Not sure about the AIR and the knock sensors, but the 2004 also uses a significantly different ignition coil setup than the 2002, so that begs the question as to whether the ignition controls are also different ?

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Re: 4.6 from 2004 deville to 2002 deville?

He's going the other direction - '04 engine into '02 body

Robgar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville, 2002 DTS and SLS

AJ, good information,I'm learning a lot, just the only thing I don't see is what is the major difference between let say a 2000 Vin Y and a 2000 Vin 9, what are the major differences, or is it just the ECM, can I put a DTS engine into a base Deville with non or little modifications?

Different cams, different tune, different PCM transmission calibrations, different final drive ratios.

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Different cams, different tune, different PCM transmission calibrations, different final drive ratios.
    Subs on target
    The 2 Intake cams (GM has the same specs on the exhaust cams, but they have different part numbers - Hmm) The Gear swap on the Caddy's (Aurora's came with 3 choices all on the same cams and the GXP had VIN Y with 3.71's) The PCM calibration needs to match the gear ratio.

Robgar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville, 2002 DTS and SLS

So if I have A Vin 9, and have engine, trans, and PCM from a Vin Y, all will work? So Block wise, both blocks are the same for both VINs?

Caddy-EaRL is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS 184,000 miles, 91 chevy truck 380,000 miles
    Fwiw, our service writers 99 vin y blew head gaskets, and we had a re sealed 2000 vin 9 sitting there. We installed it and it runs perfectly for over a year now with no modifications whosever.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.