Northstar Swaps - What years are interchangeable and the differences - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar Swaps - What years are interchangeable and the differences in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I think it might depend on which 1999 motor you have. Is it a L37 or a LD8? The L37 ...
    andy396ss is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Pontiac Bonneville GXP

Re: Northstar Swaps - What years are interchangeable and the differences

I think it might depend on which 1999 motor you have. Is it a L37 or a LD8? The L37 motors have a higher compression ratio than the LD8s. I'm not sure if that comes from a different piston or a different shaped combustion chamber in the head. If it's a different piston there could be valve clearance issues if the max lift on the 300HP cam is higher. Compare the two cams side by side and measure the lobe height. If the total lift is about the same and the only difference is duration than they'll probably "fit". If I had to guess the extra horse power comes from more max. lift on the cam.

andy396ss is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Pontiac Bonneville GXP

...or you could just go with what AJxtcman says...

jdpetersdoc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Seville STS, 2000 Eldorado ESC

is there any way to turn a 00 LD8 into a 00 L37?

Will's Fiero is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT with built flat-tappet Northstar

Swap to the L37 intake cams and PCM. I'm not sure if the L37 and LD8 valvesprings are different on the roller cam engines...

csason is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have read through the thread, and I can understand most of it.. but I still don't think I have it clear.

I have a 2000 DHS with a blown motor, it is just worn out, today was it's last.

I have located a 98 engine, supposedly out of a STS..or maybe an SLS. I will know more in the morning.

Is this impossible ? The engine has low miles, and the price is right.

I sure do appreciate any replies and assistance !!

----------

Instead of editing the last post, let me ask this..

What year of engines might make a suitable replacement engine for a 2000 DHS ?

Thanks !!

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by csason View Post
    I have read through the thread, and I can understand most of it.. but I still don't think I have it clear.

I have a 2000 DHS with a blown motor, it is just worn out, today was it's last.

I have located a 98 engine, supposedly out of a STS..or maybe an SLS. I will know more in the morning.

Is this impossible ? The engine has low miles, and the price is right.

I sure do appreciate any replies and assistance !!

----------

Instead of editing the last post, let me ask this..

What year of engines might make a suitable replacement engine for a 2000 DHS ?

Thanks !!
    You have to read the first post about interchangeability.

Quote Originally Posted by 97EldoCoupe View Post
    1993-1999 and 2000+. You CANNOT under any circumstances bolt a 2000+ engine into a 99 or older body or vice-versa. It simply does not work. Too many differences, too many sensors changed and the holes to mount them. Many people have tried, and gone through all of the work to bolt it in and realize that 1) some things don't bolt up correctly, 2) the wiring won't connect and 3) it won't run.

2000-2003 will swap without any problems at all, just make sure you have the correct exhaust manifolds for your application bolted on.

2000-2004 - any 00-03 will bolt into an 04 body, or any 04 engine will bolt into a 00-03 body but you will need to change camshaft covers, ignition coils, knock sensors (drill & tap a hole for the 2nd knock sensor for a 00-03 engine to go into a 2004 body), and keep the oil filter mount with the engine it came off of. You may need to drill and tap a hole on the L.H. cylinder head for the coil ground strap, if you're installing the 00-03 engine in the 04 body.
    This states that the 93-99 and 00+ will NOT interchange. You have options to get a 00-03 VIN Y engine, or a 04 if you could tweak a bit as stated above.

Your DHS has a VIN Y (LD8) Northstar. You need to follow and get a 00-03 VIN Y (LD8) engine (from base models or SLS). VIN 9 (L37) (from ETC, STS and DTS) will bring unwanted results.
    csason and csason like this.

csason is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thank YOU very much maeng9981 !!

Got it, late day.. blown engine.. bah

Quote Originally Posted by maeng9981 View Post
    You have to read the first post about interchangeability.

This states that the 93-99 and 00+ will NOT interchange. You have options to get a 00-03 VIN Y engine, or a 04 if you could tweak a bit as stated above.

Your DHS has a VIN Y (LD8) Northstar. You need to follow and get a 00-03 VIN Y (LD8) engine (from base models or SLS). VIN 9 (L37) (from ETC, STS and DTS) will bring unwanted results.

Cortezc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado ETC

hi jake, did you ever put the casting #'s and interchange list together? I looked on your site but found no links so I assume not done yet...
    i am trying to identify a northstar by numbers on the engine...I have a crate engine from the factory that is supposed to be 2000...but the invoice that came with it was in error and the invoice I ended up with only had a hand written number (88894249 "Y") as my id: of course there are a lot of numbers on the block and several tags with barcodes...I need to sell the engine or find something to put it in as my original project that I intended is no longer an option...I have a guy who would like to buy it for a 2005 sedan deville but we are not sure it it will fit...

if you could help or steer me in the right direction i will be very grateful...
    thanks, cort

----------

i happen to have a 2000 4.6 still on the factory pallet that I received it on...brand new (except for sitting in my shop 5 years)
    if interested call cort at 805 481-7551; will sell it for $3700
    cort...cecate@pacbell.net

Quote Originally Posted by Cortezc View Post
    hi jake, did you ever put the casting #'s and interchange list together? I looked on your site but found no links so I assume not done yet...
    i am trying to identify a northstar by numbers on the engine...I have a crate engine from the factory that is supposed to be 2000...but the invoice that came with it was in error and the invoice I ended up with only had a hand written number (88894249 "Y") as my id: of course there are a lot of numbers on the block and several tags with barcodes...I need to sell the engine or find something to put it in as my original project that I intended is no longer an option...I have a guy who would like to buy it for a 2005 sedan deville but we are not sure it it will fit...

if you could help or steer me in the right direction i will be very grateful...
    thanks, cort

----------

i happen to have a 2000 4.6 still on the factory pallet that I received it on...brand new (except for sitting in my shop 5 years)
    if interested call cort at 805 481-7551; will sell it for $3700
    cort...cecate@pacbell.net
    What is the BCC code on the engine. It should be a 3 leter code on a sticker

Lma ... DSCN0276.jpg
    other images are in the parts for sale that I posted yesterday (3/21/12) i will look for url and edit...
    Specifically, will the 2000 engine (LMA above and below) work in a 2005 sedan deville???

there are several images in this ad that show numbers and letters (only a couple of letters---LMA on two stickers...)
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadill...te-engine.html

Specifically, will the 2000 engine (LMA above) work in a 2005 sedan deville???

thanks tons for any info...cort

i have a 2000 engine (brand new crate engine as shipped from factory) and I have posted pic's and other info a few replies down the thread here;
    sounds to me like this is what you need...It is also posted in the for sale category...

Cort, cecate@pacbell.net

Justardnck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Seville SLS

I know this is not the correct thread for this but maybe somebody here can help me. Does anybody know the year and body model compatibility for a transaxle in a 2004 Seville SLS?

onebad66 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 deville, 93 deville, 98 seville

Hi I need a motor for my deville deelegance found a junkyard with a motor marked 74000 miles but not in car and no other info how do i tell year , y or 9 are there #'s on block and how do i read them.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

There should be a VIN tag on the engine somewhere, look for the 8th digit in the VIN, and that will tell you. I believe there should be a julian date in the vicinity of the VIN too, but don't quote me on that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.