Northstar Swaps - What years are interchangeable and the differences - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar Swaps - What years are interchangeable and the differences in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a fully assembled car with a 99 block with 2000 heads on it put in a 2000 seville. ...
    jimstoicovy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville SLS

Re: Northstar Swaps - What years are interchangeable and the differences

I have a fully assembled car with a 99 block with 2000 heads on it put in a 2000 seville. The only difference seems to be the Crankshaft Position sensors. Is there a way to hook the 2000 harness up to 99 Sensors? 99 Sensors have 2 Leads While 2000 harness has 3.

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by jimstoicovy View Post
    I have a fully assembled car with a 99 block with 2000 heads on it put in a 2000 seville. The only difference seems to be the Crankshaft Position sensors. Is there a way to hook the 2000 harness up to 99 Sensors? 99 Sensors have 2 Leads While 2000 harness has 3.
    You can not run 2000+ heads on a 99 block. Did you compare the head gaskets?

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by jimstoicovy View Post
    Yeah, that ^^^ - not to mention that the ignition systems are totally different - the pre-2000 uses a different crank trigger wheel for starters......and the engine and transmission PCM programs are different.

Have you accounted for the differences in VIN 9 and VIN Y engines as far as horsepower, engine controls, and final (transmission) drive ratios ?

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

AJ Either you are smarter than the guys at Federal Mogul who gave the 93-99 and the 2000+ head gaskets the same part number, or you're losing it -

Head gaskets are the same. Externally the blocks are virtually identical. Crank sensor angle and diameter are different -

The 99 has different a different reluctor wheel cast into the crank, with staight cuts. 2000+ have the angled cuts -

You can bolt 2000 + heads on a '99 block any day of the week - but you will have issues with the head bolts.... my studs will work for this; but there will be the issue of the CKP's and if the '99 crank was used, that will be a problem.

The whole point of this interchangability thread was to keep thing straight and easy to understand; what can be swapped into where - so that people don't get confused. We're talking without extensive modifications - without re-wiring, re-pinning, and re-programming-

PaleAle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville, 01 SLS, 00 STS, 04 C5 Convert 67 Stang Convert

If you need to put an engine into a 98 or 99 Seville body, you HAVE to have a block that has the new style timing cover and bolt hole below it- so it has to be a '98 or '99 block (some late '97s may have had this). All of these Sevilles have the liquid cooled alternator so you pretty much need the whole engine to be a 98 or 99 because of the bolt hole in the LH head.
    Is it possible to just drill and tap this block hole and change the timing cover ? I'm trying to put an older style crate motor in a 99 SLS
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 97EldoCoupe View Post
    AJ Either you are smarter than the guys at Federal Mogul who gave the 93-99 and the 2000+ head gaskets the same part number, or you're losing it -

Head gaskets are the same. Externally the blocks are virtually identical. Crank sensor angle and diameter are different -

The 99 has different a different reluctor wheel cast into the crank, with staight cuts. 2000+ have the angled cuts -

You can bolt 2000 + heads on a '99 block any day of the week - but you will have issues with the head bolts.... my studs will work for this; but there will be the issue of the CKP's and if the '99 crank was used, that will be a problem.

The whole point of this interchangability thread was to keep thing straight and easy to understand; what can be swapped into where - so that people don't get confused. We're talking without extensive modifications - without re-wiring, re-pinning, and re-programming-
    99 head set
    Victor HS54356A
    FEL-PRO HS26150PT-1
    EngineTech GM281HS-B

2000 Head Set
    Victor HS54356B
    FEL-PRO HS2615PT-2
    EngineTech GM281HS-C

The front of the heads are shaped different and the oil passages are also

Quote Originally Posted by jgracik View Post
    Is it possible to just drill and tap this block hole and change the timing cover ? I'm trying to put an older style crate motor in a 99 SLS
    Thanks!
    what year engine

I'm not sure other than pre 98, because of the missing hole and old style cover. I'll print out the beginning of this thread and get a better ID tomorrow. It was a loose crate engine, supposedly new and never in a car on Craigslist. I was told 96 but I'll compare it to the list of differences and make sure.

My balancer uses a 24mm socket and I have no slots in the intake so I assume it's a 95. It does have a threaded hole between 3 & 5 under the intake, maybe that's for something else. There are no numbers on either side of the block face under the head unless they are behind the timing cover.
    So I assume the best fit is 93-95. Can you splice wires and use the earlier knock sensor if you put it in a 96-97car? And finally, if so, can you drill the block and head to use in 98-99? I have a 99 SLS with 220,000 miles on it and blown head gaskets. I thought this might make more sense than doing the gaskets on a car with that many miles, maybe not.
    Even if I don't go this route, and re sell it, I would want the next owner to be very clear on what it is and what's involved.
    Thanks!

Anyone know if I can do this?
    Thanks.

andy396ss is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Pontiac Bonneville GXP

2006 FWD Northstar's had a few changes and I will post the updates[/QUOTE]

I've been unable to find you post with the updates to the 2006 FWD Northstar's. Did you ever get around to posting? I'm specifically interested in what the differences are between a 2005 LD8 and a 2006-2010. Thanks!

From what I've been able to find to date, the throttle body went to "by-wire" in 06 and the fuel injector system went to a returnless system. Anything else? What about the cams, head castings, pistons?

Just thought I'd post AJxtcman's reply here in the sticky for future folks:

The 06+ runs 1 crank sensor located near the starter
    the 06+ runs a 58 tooth reluctor ring on the crank

the older ones run a 24X

IXSLR8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Will 300 HP cams from a 2000 on up Northstar fit a 1999 and earlier head?

No they won't

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.