2nd Design "Cartridge" Rear Main Seal
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 2nd Design "Cartridge" Rear Main Seal in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; The service bulleting on the rear main seal states engines up to 2/29/96 build date have an 8mm depth pocket ...
    KHE
    KHE is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2nd Design "Cartridge" Rear Main Seal

The service bulleting on the rear main seal states engines up to 2/29/96 build date have an 8mm depth pocket for the rear mail seal and the engines produced from 3/1/96 on have an approximate depth of 15mm for the seal to sit in. I measured my '97 block and it was 13mm. I'm assuming that is close enough to 15mm and that even though the engine has a lip seal, the cartridge seal will work. Correct? I'm assuming a 1997 engine block would have been built after 3/1/96.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Re: 2nd Design "Cartridge" Rear Main Seal

Correct

KHE
    KHE is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by tateos View Post
    Correct
    That's what I thought but I do not want to have to do this job again...

the new design is thicker - would not fit. Also, it definitely requires a special tool - I bought it direct from SPX - paid almost $300. You can frequently find them on e-bay nowadays for about $20-30

cl1986 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, 94 SLS got crushed

Ive got the tool i paid $30 for it and didnt need it on my 94

If you want it for that price let me know

Joe

Right - '94 takes the old school lip seal - that one they said required a special tool also, but it was one of those special tools that you really didn't absolutely need - you could devise something else that would work. The second design seal really does require that special tool, and it's different from the tool for the 1st design seal. I'm not sure which tool you have, but if you have the correct one for your '94 block, it will not work on the new design seal on a '97 block The new seals are 2 pieces - one piece presses into the block, the other presses onto the crankshaft output flange - different from anything I have ever seen before.

This is the tool you need - I found this for someone else recently - he bought it for a great deal - 10% of what I paid for mine, just to use it for 30-40 seconds:

http://cgi.ebay.com/KENT-MOORE-J-459...item5ad6dbfecc

on the 94 there was no designing involved, it simply pushes in with your fingers or light tap of screwdriver

bigds01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1994 Seville SLS

I bought j-45930a for my 94. I was going to resell it on ebay anyway after we were done, although it sounds like we didn't need it.

I really do need guidance on how to drop just the tranny. ANy help will be rewarded with basically me saying thanks.

The reason I assume it is the rear main seal is that the car leaks like a sieve only when the engine is running. Based upon everything else I have read, the oil pan or half seals don't leak as much oil as we were seeing.

you have to have a jig to hold the engine in place while lowering the rest of the cradle.

You could fab one up, but shops have a specific hoist to do this. Id imagine you have to pull the hood, hold the engine by its appropriate spot, unhook the electrical to the trans.

I had enought problems seperating the engine from the trans when the whole cradle was out. I couldnt imagine doing it while in vehicle yet. Remove the starter for sure.

I would just follow the service manuals directions if this is the way you want to do it.

If it were me id drop everything then hoist the engine off. You not really saving any time by dangling the engine in the car when thats what you want to work on anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by cl1986 View Post
    you have to have a jig to hold the engine in place while lowering the rest of the cradle.

You could fab one up, but shops have a specific hoist to do this. Id imagine you have to pull the hood, hold the engine by its appropriate spot, unhook the electrical to the trans.

I had enought problems seperating the engine from the trans when the whole cradle was out. I couldnt imagine doing it while in vehicle yet. Remove the starter for sure.

I would just follow the service manuals directions if this is the way you want to do it.

If it were me id drop everything then hoist the engine off. You not really saving any time by dangling the engine in the car when thats what you want to work on anyway.
    I couldn't have said it better myself - perfectly put!

Quote Originally Posted by cl1986 View Post

I couldn't have said it better myself - perfectly put!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.