how I fixed my p0410, p0420, p01860, and p0741 codes and made my DHS a convertible
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 4 Post By coryloveslarry
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, how I fixed my p0410, p0420, p01860, and p0741 codes and made my DHS a convertible in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; hi friends. long time lurker, first time poster (i think). anyhow, i wanted to share how i fixed these codes ...
    coryloveslarry is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DHS

how I fixed my p0410, p0420, p01860, and p0741 codes and made my DHS a convertible

hi friends. long time lurker, first time poster (i think). anyhow, i wanted to share how i fixed these codes (actually the tranny codes i just got to stay "not ready" so i could pass inspection).

**disclaimer: i don't care about this car. we have mandated 0BDII-present scanner inspections in my state so i just wanted to get this to pass inspection and nothing more. i did...with the help of this forum. so, thanks.

first, i'll start with the p0410: secondary air injection valve. this is an easy part to replace, in fact, i replaced mine from a dude's 2002 DHS he was parting. in fact, i pulled the primary off the car as well--they are identical, maybe just similar, but there is no visual difference. for safety's sake, i used the secondary but both worked. you can test yours by blowing (with suction) into the big outlet and see if air comes out the nipple. wow, that's kinda sexual. anyhow, a tad bit of air should make it through. if not, the diaphragm in your valve is bad and needs to be replaced.

i also had a p0410 back in the day and had obviously hit something and broke the bottom of the air pump off. i actually just glued the bottom part back on and voila.

p0420: this is a dreaded code because it suggests the catalyst is under efficiency. the ONLY real fix for this is an OEM cat. DO NOT buy oxygen sensors. they won't fix this (thanks, ranger).

the "fake" fix for this is an 02 simulator, which I learned the hard way after buying a cheapy magnaflow cat (the SES light popped back on within 10 minutes of driving). awesome. so, i ordered an 02 simulator from a place online -- it was 20 bucks and took about 10 minutes to install. yipee.

**note, i drive like a grandma and still get 19/25, so i really haven't noticed much of a drop or gain in mpg

so, then i was down to the dreaded p1860 and p0741 codes. unfortunately, i did not feel like dropping my front x-member to fix this problem, nor do i care about the loss of mpg. so, i drove my car in 3rd for a day and my SES light stayed off. 3rd gear isn't even bad on the highway--it was better than my TH400 i had in my turbo lexus sc.

pulled into the inspection station with no SES/CEL and passed with 1 bank "not ready." yay.

funny enough, i pulled out of the inspection station, romped on my car, and...

the light popped right back on! that's fine with me, though. so, like any responsible person would do, i went and bought a 12 pack and cut the top off with a pneumatic grinding wheel...i mean, it was supposed to be 80 the next day and i really wanted a convertible.

i don't want to hijack this post with my stupid antics, so if anyone's interested, i'll start another thread for my convertible conversion.

thanks to you all who provide this community with valuable information. deffo saved me a lot of money.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2j7wPOxqLHQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2j7wPOxqLHQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

cheers.
    cory
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: how I fixed my p0410, p0420, p01860, and p0741 codes and made my DHS a convertibl

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j7wPOxqLHQ[/YOUTUBE]

94CaddyConcours is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1994 CADILLAC DEVILLE CONCOURS, 350ZR

Re: how I fixed my p0410, p0420, p01860, and p0741 codes and made my DHS a convertibl

More pictures!!!!

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

Might as well and go all the way. Cut the whole top off and get the true convertible feel.

94CaddyConcours is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1994 CADILLAC DEVILLE CONCOURS, 350ZR

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Might as well and go all the way. Cut the whole top off and get the true convertible feel.
    Don't push it

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

I couldn't bring myself to do that to a 50 dollar KIA, let alone a Deville that still runs and drives ad looks pretty clean.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I've wanted to do that to several cars. It's too bad the doors are framed in or you could make a real convertible (one that doesn't convert).

I cut the rest off. Currently reinforcing the chassis.

Making a top for it too. Fiberglass and metal and fingers crossed, etc.
    Attached Images
    coaster, coaster, RedG49 and 1 others like this.

dexec is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi. I have a 2001 DTS with a p0420. I saw your thread about how you were able to get rid of the code by using an o2 Simulator. My question is, what type of o2 Simulator do I use? Where does it go on the exhaust(pre-cat, Post-cat) or where? Not mechanically inclined. I plan on having my mechanic install it. Tried searching the forums, but can't find much about it.

Thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.