How do I changes coolant hose
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, How do I changes coolant hose in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I had a coolant hose begin leaking, but the only way I could get it off was to cut it ...
    tgs2101 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

How do I changes coolant hose

I had a coolant hose begin leaking, but the only way I could get it off was to cut it off. I have no idea how to put the new one on.

I have a 1996 STS. The hose I'm having trouble with is below and behind the air intake. The hose is a green high temp silicon hose. The problem I am having is the clearance that I have to work with, and is only about 1/2 inch between the two pipes.

I can't find out how to properly change this hose in any manual; I really don't want to be taking alot of stuff apart.

If anyone has any input to this situation, I would be grateful if you shared it.

Thanks,

tgs2101

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: How do I changes coolant hose

Quite simply, you have to remove what's in the way.

Exclamation Re: How do I changes coolant hose

Well, if I have to start taking stuff apart, I would like to do it efficiently.

The area I am working can not be seen really, and getting my hands in there is difficult enough. I just kinda stuffed the camera down in at different angles and came out with this shot. So, I attached a photo of where the hose is supposed to go between the two pipes.

The pipe with the red threads looks like it can be twisted out with a box wrench, if I can get to it. The distance between the pipes are about 1/4 inch.

Another possibility is to raise the car, and follow that back pipe to see if it can be loosened or taken out until I can fit the hose on.

Comments?

I thought my mini van was hard to work on.

Thanks all.

Tgs2101
    Attached Images

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I had to search a bit to find the connection on my car that you are talking about. Boy is it ever buried. I don't think I would mess with that nipple with the red threads. That stuff must be a thread sealer and is bound to give you trouble later. See where the other long pipe goes to. Maybe it can be flexed out of the way enough to get the hose on. Soap the pipes with dish detergent so you can slide the hose easily on the longer pipe then align it and slide it over the shorter one. THat's the best idea I can come up with. Best of luck.

I thought that I would share this with others, how I figured out this issue with the two green silicon coolant hoses.

The two coolant tubes that run from behind the engine have two green hoses. They are tucked up under the air intake, are held in place by two brackets on the backside of the engine. I removed the top bolts of each one of these brackets, which have 7mm heads. I then bent the brackets downwards, as the bottom bolts seem impossible to get to.

Once I bent the brackets downward, the tubes could be moved around enough to put the new hoses on. I used the red 4 ply hose for this, as the green silicon was pretty expensive. The green are rated at about 700 degrees, the red about 400.

I then bent the brackets back up as much as I could. I choose not to put the top 7mm bolts back in because I didn't want to take hours to do so. Anyone replacing these hoses will understand what I mean.

Hopefully this helps someone else.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by tgs2101
    I thought that I would share this with others, how I figured out this issue with the two green silicon coolant hoses.

The two coolant tubes that run from behind the engine have two green hoses. They are tucked up under the air intake, are held in place by two brackets on the backside of the engine. I removed the top bolts of each one of these brackets, which have 7mm heads. I then bent the brackets downwards, as the bottom bolts seem impossible to get to.

Once I bent the brackets downward, the tubes could be moved around enough to put the new hoses on. I used the red 4 ply hose for this, as the green silicon was pretty expensive. The green are rated at about 700 degrees, the red about 400.

I then bent the brackets back up as much as I could. I choose not to put the top 7mm bolts back in because I didn't want to take hours to do so. Anyone replacing these hoses will understand what I mean.

Hopefully this helps someone else.

See the convoluted metal pipe just above the coolant hose you replaced...???

That is the EGR exhaust gas delivery pipe. It carries exhaust gas to the EGR system... It gets very very hot. It is immediately beside the coolant hose you replaced. There was green silicone hose in that location for a reason... Because the silicon hose (as you noted) is good for a much higher temperature. High temp hose is needed to live directly beside the EGR pipe. The low temp hose you used will fail quickly. I would recommend getting the correct silicone hose and using that. Now that you have figured out how to change it easily it should be quick and dirty.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.