Clevite brand bearings
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Clevite brand bearings in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Has anyone used Clevite brand main bearings? Rockauto has a set of main bearings for the Northstar for about $59.00. ...
    KHE
    KHE is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Clevite brand bearings

Has anyone used Clevite brand main bearings? Rockauto has a set of main bearings for the Northstar for about $59.00. Braisington's (gmotors.com) price for the set of 5 main bearings is around $160.00.

Brasington's price for the GM rod bearings was very close to Rockauto's price so I am going to buy my rod bearings from them.

Clevite's website states the bearings meet or exceed OEM specs. I wonder why the huge difference in price?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Clevite brand bearings

Clevite has been making engine bearings and babbitt metal since before I was born. I use their products in my marine Olds455 conversions. Their mains should be perfectly fine. No idea why the large price disparity. Not sure if Federal Mogul makes Northstar bearing inserts..........

Brasington Cadillac (Gainesville, FL) is now merged into Palm Chevrolet/Cadillac, NE Gainesville.

The Northstar crank uses radiused journal shoulders, so make sure your rebuilder knows how to grind for any undersized bearing inserts. The GM manual recommends NOT grinding the crank, rather - replace it.

KHE

That's what I thought - Clevite has been in business for a long time - who knows, they may even make the bearings for GM. I can't see spending another $100.00 for GM bearings in this case.

The crank is fine - no need for grinding. I'll be using standard size main bearings.

Prelube the bearings with a mixture of 30W oil and assembly lube.

Because you have disassembled the entire engine, before you install/start it make up a rig to pump engine oil through the entire system using the oil pressure sending unit port on the filter adapter.

KHE

The shop manual states to unplug the power to the ignition control module and crank the engine for 30 seconds to prime the system. Wouldn't that accomplish the same thing as pumping oil through the port in the oil filter adapter?

Yes, but I'm old-school antsy about rolling over an engine with no oil in the system. If I were to do that there would be no spark plugs in the engine - no compression = less load on the new bearings until oil pressure comes up.

I will soon start the Olds 455 engine in my boat that's been laid up since November, using the exact procedure you describe - BUT the engine was fogged and laid up with oil in the system, so no problem rolling it over until pressure comes up - then I hit the choke and off we go.

KHE

Cranking it without the plugs for 30 seconds sounds like a good idea to me - I'll do that when before I fire it up the first time.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

When I did my HG project, I followed the FSM suggestion to simply crank with the ignition disabled - I did 3 10 second spurts, with a brief rest period between crankings...with the plugs in. Be prepared for some elevated valvetrain noise the first few minutes - it seems to take a little while to get everything pumped up and lubed up on the top end of these engines. I suppose Sub's suggestion might help quiet things down sooner - old farts do come up with good ideas sometimes!

We can't do it with a Northstar, but many engines which use distributors let you pull the distributor and stick a 5/16" or 3/8" socket with long extension on the oil pump drive (the oil pump is driven off the lower end of the distributor cam gear) and use a drill to pre-lube the entire engine to 60 psi. Every Olds 455 I build is ready to run at first rollover.

You can accomplish the same end result with a Northstar by making a pressure kit which attaches to the oil pressure sending unit (sensor) port.

KHE

I think I am going to buy Sealed Power main bearings. Sealed Power is a trademark of Federal Mogul and Federal Mogul makes a ton of parts for GM. I wouldn't be surprised if FM was the OEM supplier of the bearings. Rockauto has the set for about $61.00.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

I wouldn't be surprised if there is only one company in the US that actually makes all the bearings for the Northstar - Clevite - Sealed Power - GM - probably, they are the same

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

As far as I'm concerned Clevite makes about the best bearings available. I've used them exclusively in all the engine builds I've done over the years.
    Ownership:
    91 Brougham d'Elegance 350
    02 Deville DTS
    01 Deville DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    We can't do it with a Northstar, but many engines which use distributors let you pull the distributor and stick a 5/16" or 3/8" socket with long extension on the oil pump drive (the oil pump is driven off the lower end of the distributor cam gear) and use a drill to pre-lube the entire engine to 60 psi. Every Olds 455 I build is ready to run at first rollover.
    I ran this procedure on my 4.9 HG repair before first crank and is what I've done on all my engine builds...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.