98 model- HG or maybe WP?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 98 model- HG or maybe WP? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; So the 98 model that my mom has been driving finnaly really had a problem today. It has had an ...
    Some Car Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville 118K 98 Seville 128K

98 model- HG or maybe WP?

So the 98 model that my mom has been driving finnaly really had a problem today. It has had an anitfreeze smell every so often for awhile, so we put it on light duty, a one mile trek for her to get to work.

It has had about three water pumps in the past year. All seem to leak pretty quick. I wasn't around for those jobs, some shop did them.

Today it got hot on the interstate. Got pressed into service since the other Caddy was down, didn;t think about it being a risk.

I let it cool down some and then went to put the coolant we carry in the car on in to get home. Thing is, it really wasn't low at all. Even after we got home, I let it fully cool down, and it wasn't low. Maybe even too full.

So, does this sound like maybe a junk WP? Not a leaker this tiem, just a bad impeller? I don't have a pressure pump, but I guess I could try and find one while I'm in town. I don't see any coolant that had leaked, excpet for when I took the cap off while still fairly hot.

I really hate that this is a VERY nice car all around. Just has a crappy oil burning and coolant eating engine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 98 model- HG or maybe WP?

There is absolutely no reason why you should have had to replace the water pump three times in one year. Where the hell are you getting these things? The pump is good unless it's leaking. Do a search for "purge Line" and check to be sure it is clear. Don't over fill the surge tank. Half full is the correct level. Rent a block test kit or buy one from Napa and test the air in the surge tank to see if there is any exhaust gases in the coolant AFTER you check the above mentioned and they prove not to be the problem.

As far as oil consumption goes, mom is driving that engine to sedately. Someone needs to beat on it once in a while. Read up on oil consumption in the Technical Archives at the top left of the page.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

The problems Caddy has are similar to the problems many car companies are having.

Sticking rings always was a problem causing oil consumption.

Water pump failures...3 in a year? Are they GM? Something wrong here.

One thing I blame the car companies for is not making people realize they have to change coolant before year 5.

Head Gasket failures. Increased with changes in design and materials but old cars often had HG failure before 100K, often before 50K.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Quote Originally Posted by Some Car Guy View Post
    So the 98 model that my mom has been driving finnaly really had a problem today. It has had an anitfreeze smell every so often for awhile, so we put it on light duty, a one mile trek for her to get to work.

It has had about three water pumps in the past year. All seem to leak pretty quick. I wasn't around for those jobs, some shop did them.

Today it got hot on the interstate. Got pressed into service since the other Caddy was down, didn;t think about it being a risk.

I let it cool down some and then went to put the coolant we carry in the car on in to get home. Thing is, it really wasn't low at all. Even after we got home, I let it fully cool down, and it wasn't low. Maybe even too full.

So, does this sound like maybe a junk WP? Not a leaker this tiem, just a bad impeller? I don't have a pressure pump, but I guess I could try and find one while I'm in town. I don't see any coolant that had leaked, excpet for when I took the cap off while still fairly hot.

I really hate that this is a VERY nice car all around. Just has a crappy oil burning and coolant eating engine.

Sounds like the purge line is clogged. The system may need to be flushed if it has not been. Has a lot of stop leak been added?

Replace the pressure cap if it hasn't been done recently. That you can replace yourself.

The car with the low oil has been ran hard, it is simply a crappy Cady. In fact, a few weeks ago, I took it out and did several 2nd gear blasts. Yet here we are, low again.

Have no idea where the 3 WP's came from.

Coolant spews out the purge line within seconds of start up.

Found out that a pressure test was done on the car last month at a local shop, no leaks found.

Was busy today, so didn't get to Napa or the other pro type independent parts house. The two chain stores don't have a test kit for the coolant.

Starting to think it may be a sticking thermostat. Sure acts like it, took car out for over 30 minutes, ran it HARD and it stayed cool. Stopped and idled for 5 minutes one place, took off and gauge crept up. Floored it, like I have done with stuck stat vehicles in the past to shake them loose, and it cooled right down. Did that two other times. Same result on the way home.

Coolant spews out the purge line within seconds of start up.
    Purge line or overflow vent line? Two different lines here. Purge line empties into the surge tank. Overflow vent line empties overboard onto the ground.

Purge line. Much easier to unhook it than to risk tearing it off the tube or breaking the tube.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Make sure the thermostat is installed correctly.

Would it have been taken off to change the WP?

OK, purge line SHOULD flow coolant at start up. That's good and a clogged line can be ruled out.
    Would it have been taken off to change the WP?
    It does not have to be removed, but that is not to say that someone didn't replace it (backwards).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.