Anyone know what size allthread for cradle drop?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Anyone know what size allthread for cradle drop? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I am going to be dropping my cradle to swap out engine and do some work on the transmission of ...
    jimsbox is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 DHS

Anyone know what size allthread for cradle drop?

I am going to be dropping my cradle to swap out engine and do some work on the transmission of my 2000 DHS in 2 or 3 weeks. I have seen comments that the easiest way to reinstall the cradle is to use all thread rods to pull it up and then replace them one at a time with the bolts. Does anyone know what size of metric allthread rods to get and how long they should be? I don't know where to find metric all thread rods here in Kansas City, any suggestions or would one of you have a set you used and would be willing to rent or sell?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Anyone know what size allthread for cradle drop?

Hardware store would probably have what you need. I'd just pull one bolt and take it along to match it up. I would guess 12" - 18" should do it. Remember, you can always shorten them if they are too long, but you can't lengthen them.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by jimsbox View Post
    I am going to be dropping my cradle to swap out engine and do some work on the transmission of my 2000 DHS in 2 or 3 weeks. I have seen comments that the easiest way to reinstall the cradle is to use all thread rods to pull it up and then replace them one at a time with the bolts. Does anyone know what size of metric allthread rods to get and how long they should be? I don't know where to find metric all thread rods here in Kansas City, any suggestions or would one of you have a set you used and would be willing to rent or sell?
    Sounds crazy to me - use the bolts - no need for studs - your cradle will be on floor jacks, right? Use them to raise the cradle. Or gradually lower the engine hoist until you're in the right area, then thread those suckers right in.

I have read about people that gradually partially lowered their cradle with these threaded rods for access to the transaxle or rear O2 sensor or motor mount or something like that, but I never felt the need or saw the advantage to that; I have always just used jackstands and floor jacks and common sense anytime I needed to lower/rock/shift the cradle. I did use the engine hoist to lift the body off the cradle when doing my HG project.

Thanks Tateos,

I thought there might be a problem with the angle of the body when trying to start the bolts and assumed that was why some use all thread rods. I have lowered the cradle as you said with jacks and jacj stands but never completely dropped it. I will try it your way, sounds like a lot less wrenching anyway!

Take caare,

Jim

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Those bolts are pretty long, as you know, and they pass through a large hole in the mount...again, as you know. That means the cradle and the cradle mounting location do not need to be in perfect registration - you just need to be in the right general area and you can orient the bolt so they will begin to thread in. You will probably have the cradle a little raised, and so the body will be at a slight angle, but you should have the body down pretty close to all the way when you're getting to the bolting in part of the job.

Thanks again Tateos, you guys make life so much easier for us. Always nice to not have to reinvent the wheel.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The allthread is used to lower it enough to do some work without dropping the entire drivetrain, like lowering the drivers side enough to remove the trans side cover to R & R the TCC solenoid or enough to get the rear cam cover off.

Gotcha, I was completely misunderstanding why the rods would be used. Thats one less thing for me to spend money on!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.