I am swapping my engine for one of Jake's, how hard to rebuild tranny myself?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, I am swapping my engine for one of Jake's, how hard to rebuild tranny myself? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; 2000 DHS, 280,000 miles tranny and engine never opened up, daily driver, approx 800-1000 miles per week. I am going ...
    jimsbox is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 DHS

I am swapping my engine for one of Jake's, how hard to rebuild tranny myself?

2000 DHS, 280,000 miles tranny and engine never opened up, daily driver, approx 800-1000 miles per week.

I am going to swap out my engine for one of Jake's and think it might be worthwhile to overhaul or have overhauled my transmission. I have pulled engines on MGB's and pretty much everything but worked on transmissions at one time or another. What do you think, is it reasonable or stupid?

Thanks in advance, don't spare my feelings.

Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: I am swapping my engine for one of Jake's, how hard to rebuild tranny myself?

280,000 miles tranny and engine never opened up

The 4T80E is pretty reliable, but that is a LOT of miles on it. It's a gamble either way.

Re: I am swapping my engine for one of Jake's, how hard to rebuild tranny myself?

Yes, it drives fine, gets the p0741 error but yesterday drove it from Kansas City to Ames IA and back (27mpg going up with tail wind and 23 to 24 back with headwind) This is a pretty typical trip for me once or twice a week. I am just doing this stuff because of the mileage and I don't trust Aamco and don't know any of the other rebuilders around here to do the tranny. Jake is a no brainer, do you know anyone like him doing trannies? I am going to redo the front suspension, steering etc also while the carrier is out of the car.

Jim

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

there are tons of vehicles in junkyards. how about getting a used tranny for less than $1k. should be easy to find a low mileage unit. go from 280k to 70k?

Stoveguyy,

Thats not a bad idea, I hadn't considered it. I have had excellent luck with this engine and tranny but I am going to keep that idea in mind for now.

Thanks.

Jim

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

If you've never built a trans I'd have to advise against it. Getting a lower mile used one would be a better option. I'm usually not in favor of used parts but I'd make an exception for the trans .

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I think I'd lean towards a junkyard tranny as well.

cl1986 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, 94 SLS got crushed

I just tore my 4T80 down for scrap......i dont recommed rebuilding this one if its your first one......

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

With that many miles I would think you will find wear on a lit of hard parts that are not normally changed. Buying just one or two of them could raise the price past a used one.

It sounds like you have not built a trans before. Not terribly difficult but sometimes you get bit by wear that only an experienced installer knows about. Surf around some trans sites and see if you can find a tutorial to rebuild it.

I am leaning more towards getting a rebuilt one. I don't know anyone that has had a good experience with Aamco or Cottman. Does anyone know someone that has a very good reputation for rebuilding 4t80e's? I would consider having one shipped to me.

I am also picking up a copy of gm's 3.5 hr 4t80e training cd as well as a guy on ebay has a bunch of notes and some scanned material from when he was rebuilding trannies. He has excellent feedback. I respect the advice I am getting and so I am going to make sure I don;t get in over my head. I have been an electronics tech most of my adult life and work on electro mechanical devices so I am pretty adept, but rightly spoken I have never seen the inside of an automatic transmission.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

2k deville, trans 76k miles, $500. local parts yard. just looked it up. computers are great at finding parts.

Was that local to kansas city? I have been searching craigs list and not found anything yet. I am also keeping an eye on ebay. How did you find that one? I haven't done much with junk yards since long before they stopped being called junk yards and became "automotive recyclers" lol. Seriously, is there any kind of site that networks these yards so you can do a search within an area? I am also looking into rebuilt, low mileage used, or maybe attempting to rebuild myself, can always go the scrap yard route if it doesn't work out. Still keeping options open.

By the way Stoveguyy and everyone else, thanks for your suggestions, I really appreciate it.

cl1986 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, 94 SLS got crushed

car-part.com i believe

cl1986,

COOL SITE! That makes searching for a yard tranny much more realistic. I am not so interested in going cheap as making sure I get a quality product into my car, hence why I am considering rebuilding myself, but a low mileage factory built tranny is an attractive alternative now that I have a reasonable way to research them.

Thanks again everybody. What do you think of my reading up before deciding whether to attempt rebuild? Am I on a naive fool's errand? I am used to doing fine work using technical manuals and can take my time. Additionally, my wife works for one of the biggest auto parts box stores and typically I can get my parts for 1/3 to half off retail.

Bottom line I just want a tranny that will go another trouble free 200,000 miles but without getting raped by GM.

Have a good one all.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by jimsbox View Post
    cl1986,

COOL SITE! That makes searching for a yard tranny much more realistic. I am not so interested in going cheap as making sure I get a quality product into my car, hence why I am considering rebuilding myself, but a low mileage factory built tranny is an attractive alternative now that I have a reasonable way to research them.

Thanks again everybody. What do you think of my reading up before deciding whether to attempt rebuild? Am I on a naive fool's errand? I am used to doing fine work using technical manuals and can take my time. Additionally, my wife works for one of the biggest auto parts box stores and typically I can get my parts for 1/3 to half off retail.

Bottom line I just want a tranny that will go another trouble free 200,000 miles but without getting raped by GM.

Have a good one all.
    Doesn't sound to me like GM raped you the first time around

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.