Head Gasket Repair
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Head Gasket Repair in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; First of all allow me to introduce myself, my name is Erik im 20 years old and im in love ...
    eghernandez2007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville

Head Gasket Repair

First of all allow me to introduce myself, my name is Erik im 20 years old and im in love with Cadillacs.A few months ago i bought a 1997 deville with a blown head gasket for $700. A tech i know who has never had a comeback from timeserting engines ( has time-serted numerous northstars for his own family) helped me out. Anyways today i finally finished everything, since we had the engine out i replaced almost all the seals. So after im done with everything i start it up but i notice the temperature rises pretty fast. Im very concerned about it so my question to you guys is basically what happens as far as coolant temperature and all that other good stuff, there is no SES light. Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: Head Gasket Repair

I'm not following the question.

Sorry let me clarify, after the inserts are put in and the repair is done. When i start the car the coolant temperature jumps up a lil too fast for me, is that normal?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Not sure whether you have a gauge or a digital bar readout.............

The thermostat is set to begin at 188 and be fully open at 206. Fans run in slow with any HVAC function that calls for the A/C compressor to run, including defrost. If A/C is not set, then the fans are controlled by the coolant temp sensor only and will come on in SLOW at 224 degrees and FAST at 236.

Initial warmup should be fast - the gauge/bars should get to that 12:00/center bar quickly - the system is set up that way. BUT then the gauge/bars should stay steady unless you're in heavy traffic.

Coolant level should be halfway up in the tank, cold - no higher than that. Another check is the purge line - that small hose which runs from the upper side of the coolant reservoir to the water pump housing nipple (actually a hollow bolt). The purge line constantly pisses a stream of coolant from the water pump discharge to the reservoir in order to purge the coolant of air and gasses in order to prevent corrosion and water pump cavitation from air bubbles. With the engine cold, remove the tank cap and the tank end of the purge line. Hold the end of the purge line in the tank neck. Have an assistant start the engine and check that a stream of coolant flows from the purge line.

After a few days of level checks the coolant level should stabilize at halfway up in the tank, cold.

Thanks for the response sub, the dash is a digital one but it doesnt have a bar. I have to go by the actual number the IPC says, when it i seen it quickly jumped to about 210 i shut the car off. This was my first major job so im very nervous.

210 is normal operating temperature. I think it will get to about 240 before it will start sending messages.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    210 is normal operating temperature. I think it will get to about 240 before it will start sending messages.
    But at the rate of speed in which the temp was rising i think it wouldve passed 240

Skiller. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

Take it for a drive and get it up to operating temperature if all repairs are done. It's hard to say there's a problem if you haven't tested it yet.

I guess im just paranoid with all the doom and gloom stories i read on here about the HGs

cl1986 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, 94 SLS got crushed

n* temps rise fast, works awesome in winter time, quickest car to warm up that i know off

Quote Originally Posted by cl1986 View Post
    n* temps rise fast, works awesome in winter time, quickest car to warm up that i know off
    Too fast if you ask me lol

Skiller. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by eghernandez2007 View Post
    I guess im just paranoid with all the doom and gloom stories i read on here about the HGs
    You just had it repaired?! Go enjoy the car!

Quote Originally Posted by Skiller. View Post
    You just had it repaired?! Go enjoy the car!
    Hopefully i will

The temp should not rise THAT fast. How long does it take to reach 210? Is the purge line clear?

To tell you the truth im not sure and i didnt even bother to check, it was 5 o clock i was ready to go home but i just wanted to make sure it started

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.