Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1995 eldorado need help identifying black wire

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  mike93 
#1 ·
Hi everyone just trying to find out whats the black wire under the battery terminal that goes in throught the intake manifold cover and down because i have been having problems starting the car but that black wire is loose and once i push it into where it plugs in the car starts with no problem just trying to figure out what is that wire called please help thanks

#3 ·
yeah it's a ground which goes between the side of the cover that says northstar i think it goes down to the starter it looks like a coil you can just pull it out and put it back in but when it's not in all the way the car doesn't wanna start but when you push it back into the coil or whatever you wanna call it then it starts with no problem

#4 ·
Confusing - your signature says you have a 1993 Deville. I'll bet you have a 4.9, not a Northstar.

Someone else with the correct engine ???

If it is a Northstar, as your last post says, then there is no starter ground - the whole engine/body is the ground. I'll bet that cable is the red (positive battery cable to the starter) cable which is covered by a plastic flex shield. Look inside the jacket. If the cable inside IS red then the nut on the starter solenoid is either missing or loose and you need to remove the intake manifold to tighten it.

#5 ·
Ther are three wires that go under the 'cover'; a fat red lead that goes straight to the battery (starter power) and a smaller violet lead for the starter solinoid.The only other wire that goes under the plenum is the lead for the knock sensor, and I believe it's blue, but it should have no effect on starting.
That said, the violet and blue lead are wrapped in a BLACK loom. The starter (red) power lead is also (by itself) wrapped in a BLACK loom.

#6 ·
yes i have a 1993 cadillac deville but my friend has a 95 eldorado with northstart and trying to figure out this wire but it's right under the positive ground then goes through the cover that says northstar on it just trying to figure out what the wire is

#7 ·
There is no such thing as a positive ground - since the early 60's.

How big, in diameter, is this wire ?? Is this wire in fact a cable wrapped in convoluted plastic wire loom ?? Did you look inside the protective "coil" cover to find out what color the cable is ??

If the "wire" comes from the positive connector near the fuse box and then disappears down under the intake manifold, then it's the starter positive feed. Take the beauty cover off and trace the wire/cable.

If your friend has a 1995 Eldorado then he desperately needs a GM/Helm Factory Service Manual. www.helminc.com or eBay.

If you push the wire and the car starts something is loose - trace it down................

#9 ·
knock sensor is on the side of the block on a 95, not under the intake, so no KS wire there. If i remember right, there are 3 wires in the starter loom still... kinda forget though. hmm no there should only be 2 wires on the 95, starter wire and solenoid wire.

How big (thick) is the wire in question? There is a tiny one grounded on a fuel line from the injectors, you might be able to see that sticking out from the side of the vanity cover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.