Blown head gaskets but no pulled/stripped bolts? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Blown head gaskets but no pulled/stripped bolts? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by zonie77 Lotta people started taking it out the top and gave up. I think Tateos started taking ...
    tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Re: Blown head gaskets but no pulled/stripped bolts?

Quote Originally Posted by zonie77 View Post
    Lotta people started taking it out the top and gave up. I think Tateos started taking it out the top, then dropped the cradle.

Even if I was also changing the pan gasket I think I'd drop the cradle, then try twisting the engine up enough to change the pan gasket without separating the engine/trans.

If anyone has done that post it. I don't know if that would work or not.
    Yes - I started by trying to pull it out the top - I came to the decision that it was impossible; Sure, I realize that it is possible - frankly, I just couldn't figure out how to do it; some of the bolts are just barely visible, but not accessible, as far as I could tell. The point is, it is so EASY to drop the cradle, no one should want to even try to pull it out the top...except for Jake. You do have to disconnect a few more things to drop the cradle, but once it's out, everything is right there in clear view to get at. I was amazed at how easy it was to re-install the entire package. Honestly, it makes sense - that's how the car was assembled at the factory.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Re: Blown head gaskets but no pulled/stripped bolts?

My engine was leaking pretty badly before the HG job; I thought it was the rear main seal. My half case never leaked, so I left that alone. I changed the pan gasket with the FelPro part in the kit, and the rear main seal, but I still have an oil leak, especially when parked on an incline. The oil leak is from the rear portion of the engine, but I don't think it's the rear main seal - first of all, I did replace the original lip seal with the 2 piece improved design and used the special tool to install it; also, I removed the brace between the engine and trans and then the torque converter cover, and I don't see any evidence of oil coming down the torque converter - in fact, there are portions of the torque converter cover that have no paint on them and they not only don't have any traces of oil on them, they have a light film of rust on them. I really think the oil leak is coming from the oil pan area. I guess I should have skipped the FelPro gasket and used the GM RTV.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.