Just got a 95 seized for next to free
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Just got a 95 seized for next to free in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Just picked up a 95 with Northstar almost free, gave him what junk yard would have $100 Bucks... So going ...
    Thawcko is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Northstar

Just got a 95 seized for next to free

Just picked up a 95 with Northstar almost free, gave him what junk yard would have $100 Bucks... So going to pull the Motor.. I don't know if it was piston that locked up, have a small snake cam and looked down each plug hole and see no wall scorching or piston damage... The story I was told is That he had the head gasket repaired, Drove it for a month or so on a daily basis, started to see like copper color in the oil when he changed the oil, then started to hear a ticking noise, that got louder and then would quite down, then one day just shut of on him and would not crank....He got frustrated and did not want to put any more money into it and just wanted it gone... I put a bar or the harmonic balance nut and no way it turns... What other things beside piston would seize up? Bearings? I guess I will soon find out, when I pull the motor... But any hints would be great....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Just got a 95 seized for next to free

Also am thinking since head gasket was just done, I would like to at all costs not remove the heads if possible I would think? Or is it ok to remove the head bolts Now that it has been inserted, It is not Timeserts It is a longer more heavy thread Insert, he has one extra in the console... Also if all else fails It has great rims and new tires on the car, I could sell them and get more then what I paid for the car... This car is in great shape, looks like never hit,Great paint, white and is a Florida Car so no rust... This is just a project for me. Don't need the car and not looking to make money on it, If I fix it may drive and let visitors use it for transportation...

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Sounds like the inserts were "Norms" (better than Timeserts).

If the oil had a copper color and is seized, I'm guessing it had an oil pressure problem and the bearings are gone. You are gonna have to drop the drivetrain to check it out though. Standby and see if anyone else has any other opinions. One thing is for sure. You DO have yourself a project.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Yeah - sounds like a fun project - I am not being sarcastic. You've got no money at risk - you can tear it apart, figure out what you've got , take your time to repair or replace the engine, and have a nice spare car when you're done.

Yeah - sounds like Norm's inserts - feel free to pull the heads - you will do no damage assuming the inserts were installed properly.

Please keep us updated - how about some pictures - this one should be interesting.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

If they drove it to the point it was putting coolant in the oil it would've been eating up the bearings. You'll have to pull it and open it to be sure.

Well got it pulled today, tomorrow will start to open up the motor... Will a 91 non Northstar fit in this in any way? Reason I ask this is someone stopped by saw me pulling the motor and asked me if I wanted a 91 The car has 65,000 miles on it, but the body rear got smacked... I am assuming it wont fit but figured I would ask.... Will take pics along the way.....

Oh and also I do think that he ran it with it overheating for a long time, opened the trunk and there is about 10 Jugs of water, they are empty now but assuming that he was using those before the heads got done... also if low oil pressure was a problem (not that I know about) but if so what should I be looking for? Should I get a new oil pump? if I do end up repairing it???? Thanks...

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Thawcko View Post
    Well got it pulled today, tomorrow will start to open up the motor... Will a 91 non Northstar fit in this in any way? Reason I ask this is someone stopped by saw me pulling the motor and asked me if I wanted a 91 The car has 65,000 miles on it, but the body rear got smacked... I am assuming it wont fit but figured I would ask.... Will take pics along the way.....
    I guess anything is possible - depends on how hard you want to work at it. Probably wouldn't be easy...or worth it; I had a hard enough time R and R ing the Northstar that came in my car - would not want to tackle a retrofit, but hey, that's just me - some guys eat that stuff up!

If it don't just drop in with minor mods, I am not into that.. Well so far got the heads off, and all the other stuff like the alternator and that junk, got it somewhat separated from the Trany...Does not look like piston seize I can wiggle the pistons the amount the rings allow... But think I am going to have to pull the oil pan.. can not separate the Fly wheel from the clutch.. Can not turn the motor to get at the bolts.. and cant pull strait out, oil pan hits the cradle with the clutch attached... So taking a break for a few hours... hot out today... Mid to upper 80's ... I will post some pics today.... Thanks for any help along the way...

Well Found the problem.... Not sure what they are called is the split ring between the conecting rod and the crank, Well any way one of em cooked... turned all blue and was cooked onto the connecting rod... So will have to replace those split rings... The cam looks fine... and as soon as I disconnected that connector rod that was cooked on crank turns free... Any help on what that ring is called???? Here are some pics
    Attached Images

Ouch! Those are bearings. I suspect you'll need a new crank as well.

Here is the pic again with area in red box..... Those are the collars still on the crank all toasted... I will remove them and take a pic... Good collar in blue well one good other off
    Attached Images

Pic with Connector bearing removed Crank in red fused together bearing in blue... What ya think? Ok to just replace bearings??? Hate to spend the cash on a new crank....
    Attached Images

That crank journal appears scored. Hard to tell from here, BUT for that bearing to get that hot, it was oil starved and almost HAD to have damaged the crank journal. You MIGHT be better off buying a junkyard engine and insert or stud it

samert is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by Thawcko View Post
    Pic with Connector bearing removed Crank in red fused together bearing in blue... What ya think? Ok to just replace bearings??? Hate to spend the cash on a new crank....
    You would be wasting your $$$ if you just replaced the rod bearings. That crankshaft is ruined and it would just seize up again in short order. Plus the entire engine oil lubrication system has been contaminated from the bearings that burned up. To do it right the engine need to be pulled and completely disassembled, cleaned, inspected and a new crankshaft kit installed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.