Just got a 95 seized for next to free - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Just got a 95 seized for next to free in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; This is what it says on there web site Autozone $251.99 Core Charge $20.00 Kit includes crankshaft with matching main ...
    Thawcko is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Northstar

Re: Just got a 95 seized for next to free

This is what it says on there web site Autozone $251.99 Core Charge $20.00 Kit includes crankshaft with matching main and rod bearings; casting # 3525774, 211, 669, 3544669 and apparently the Crank comes from CRANKSHAFT REBUILDERS INC.
    1200 Albright Road
    Sanford, Florida 32771

Does this sound like a good buy??? No shipping charges is what I am liking...

Beaudreau is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Eldorado

Yeah, that was the chain I was asking about. Should have known that you would not have missed it if it had been silicone! Thanks for the picture.

Personally, I think that is a great price for a crank kit! It's too bad that you don't know the actual history/story though! I'm still not convinced that it was coolant in the oil that caused the failure!

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS

nothing wrong with replacing a crank. just a rare repair on a northstar. i read a story about a guy with an acura NSX who spun a rod bearing and chewed up his crank journal. he had the crank turned and right away spun another bearing. than he got a new crank and several titanium rods and did some more damage. those nsx motors are pretty highly tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreau View Post
    Yeah, that was the chain I was asking about. Should have known that you would not have missed it if it had been silicone! Thanks for the picture.

Personally, I think that is a great price for a crank kit! It's too bad that you don't know the actual history/story though! I'm still not convinced that it was coolant in the oil that caused the failure!

I checked all the oil passages and all are clean in the bottom end, the oil pump, say that was removed, does it matter what way the gears got put back? I read you should mark them so they go back same way they came out... How can I assure this, If the heads got done, the timing may have had to be set, and if the timing cover was removed who knows if they took the oil pump out? Also is the oil pump mounted metal to metal? no gasket or O ring? What other things would make it have low oil Pressure?? Maybe the Harmonic Balance was not torqued correctly? There are different torques for that year depending what size bolt you have... If not to torque it may be possible the oil pump was slipping???? does that make any sense? Although the oil pump is not dependent on the torque is it? Just throwing things at the wall and see what sticks... Any thing you guys can come up with that would give bad oil pressure or lack of oil to that journal shout it out....

Sure wish I could answer your oil pump questions, but you have shown me more in your pictures than I have seen of the inside of a N*. My experience is mostly with with SAAB 16 valve 4 cylinders and the push rod domestics, but I can give you some general info until someone that knows answers.

I have never seen a crank mounted oil pump that did not use a gasket and I think all have been the oil style formed gasket, but you would know because there would a groove for it to lay in. If by chance there is no such gasket I feel sure that a flange style of sealer would be used instead of there being a traditional gasket. This type of sealer allows the two surfaces to mate with zero clearance and drys anaerobically into a hard almost shellac that really just seals the pores between the two surfaces.

About the oil pump, I think that most that I have seen require the gears going in, in a certain way and as a general rule you should always put any wear surfaces exactly back how they came out, but I don't feel that would be critical in this situation.

From what I have read here the oil pump is not keyed and depends on the harmonic balancer being properly torqued to drive it, not enough and it would slip as you said.

Some general things that I have seen from experience: the rod journals always go before the crank journals, the rods furthest from the oil pump usually go first, engines with hydraulic lifters will normally lose pressure up top and the lifters will not stay pumped up.

I know this happens all the time, but I still can't believe that people still try to drive with oil lights on and an engine that is making all kinds of noise.

Last comment, even the rod journals that did not seize show blue coloration
    from friction.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS

i timeserted my block and about 1yr later my oil pressure relief valve stuck open so i had no oil pressure. lots of dash lights. no oil pressure, stop motor now and so on. not a good message to see. i overfilled crankcase and got PRV to seat. got lucky i guess. i saw some pics of a timesert job where the top of the block was covered in chips from drilling the block. that got me thinking. maybe i had some metal chips in oil pan? but you would think oil pickup screen would catch most if not all of those chips.

Oh in this motor they got shavings in the pan, the screen had them all stuck to it... Was not clogged most on the edges There where wire ties in the oil-pan also, When I did my insert job on the last car, I had rags in the Timing area and a vac going as i drilled to limit the shavings... Whoever did this one did not do any of those things... As far as the oil pump there was no gasket or sealer of any kind on it... So i will need someone to chime in that has removed one... I looked in alldata guide and it does not reference a gasket at all...

I wish someone would chime in, but I am curious there wasn't even a groove for a gasket in the housing?

If not, they have the flange sealer for a reason! It's just is not cost effective to make metal surfaces so smooth or guarantee that they mate perfectly without something!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Zonie, Tateos, Ewill or Jake could probably answer the question.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

No gasket or seal I am aware of. The harmonic balancer bolt is tightened to a nominal torque (37 ft pounds maybe) and then 120 degrees. This is done after the balancer has been bottomed onto the oil pump drive.

Well the crank and bearings are coming in tomorrow, But need to get two connector rods.. The two that where attached on those fried bearings, I just dont feel comfortable putting them back, they took some heat and after all this would suck for that to be a problem... havnt had time to order em but hope to get em before the weekend, so I can try to put this back together and back in the car...

Where can I get connector rods????

jimsbox is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 DHS

Hey,

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm

Connecting rod $150.71

If I were you I would give Jake at northstarperformance.com a call, his phone number is on the web site, he builds Northstars and I am buying one from him but I would not be surprised if he has some donor Northstar carcasses laying around that he might sell you a couple of used good rods from.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Jim

Thanks jimsbox, did what ya said and contacted Jake, and he had what I need... Thanks for the heads up....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.