Just got a 95 seized for next to free - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Just got a 95 seized for next to free in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Plus you have to wonder what caused that journal to oil starve in the first place....
    Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Just got a 95 seized for next to free

Plus you have to wonder what caused that journal to oil starve in the first place.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

what model caddy is it? you said it was in good shape

Thawcko is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Northstar

The motor is pulled and fully dissembled.. That pick is the bottom end on a motor-stand upside down..The pistons are out heads off oil pan off ... Where do I get a crank? And How much? Not going to spend much on the car.. Don't need the car... Just figured it would be something to do.... I figured it may have got that heat from the guy who owned it running it for a long time with bad heads... Got contaminated oil... why would it only heat in one spot on the crank and all the rest look new??? Thanks for input... Any one have a used Crank????

why would it only heat in one spot on the crank and all the rest look new?
    THAT is the million dollar question that must be answered before it is put back together. I would seriously look for a junkyard engine.

Will probably just put this one in the Junk yard if it comes down to getting another Motor... The cost of that outweighs the need for the car...Was probably going to donate the car to a needy family or something along that line... couldn't see paying insurance or Registrations for a 3rd car that I would never use... Do you think that this could happen from coolant in the oil??? Who knows how bad it was or how long it went on.... Funny everything else in this motor looks great... Pistons rings all look great... and Shavings that are still on the trany from the head job, all shinny not black or dull... Maybe someone could use the block... If I can't get this back up cheap and you live in South Florida and need parts....

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    what model caddy is it? you said it was in good shape

1995 Cadillac Eldorado V8-4.6L VIN 9

Florida car so no rust at all..... Will take a pic of it tomorrow..

STSS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '03 STS 122K, '01 STS 161K - 3/3/11

I have a good used crank.... probably $150-$200... anyone know what it costs to ship a crank?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Take a look at crank or engine prices in www.car-part.com. A crank is heavy and needs shipping protection. UPS ain't gonna be cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by STSS View Post
    I have a good used crank.... probably $150-$200... anyone know what it costs to ship a crank?
    If you can find out what it costs let me know I am in Port St. Lucie Fl. 34987

Thanks.....

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

I suspect he had coolant in the oil and that ruined the bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by zonie77 View Post
    I suspect he had coolant in the oil and that ruined the bearing.

That is what I am thinking, Like I said I don't know how bad the heads got and how long, but for sure they drove it that way, having all those jugs in the trunk... Should I get a new oil pump to be safe???? What else would have effect on oil pressure? The oil Pump looks fine, I cleaned the pressure relief in it and made sure it moves freely... So I guess It will come down to getting a crank.. One thing, does anyone repair cranks? Like I said I am in no rush, money saved far exceeds speed of this project..

Beaudreau is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Eldorado

Just from looking at your crank pictures I can't see any obvious signs of having water mixed with oil! We both know that you did not clean it up so well that the water signs are gone! You drained the oil; what did it look like?

So, I got to looking at your pictures closer and what I think I see is red/copper hi-temp silicone squeezed out from a round hole, not a gasket surface!

I am not familiar with a N* at all, but that looks like a lot of silicone to me! If that is what I see; I would suspect clogged oil passages caused starvation to those bearings!

From what I have read here, the cranks can't be ground under size, nor should you repair if it even if it could be done, is not a cost effective measure! You should take the crank to a machine shop, they won't charge you for looking at it. It could be bearing material on the journal that would allow it to polish out within spec, you never know unless you check!

Shipping a crank should not be prohibitive, I suspect that it weighs less than 75 lbs and can even be sent USPS. I think that I have even seen 97EldoCoupe post what I thought was a very good price for a crank.

So, tell me what that orange stuff is and where it came from!
    Attached Images

If your talking about the orange just above the Journal... Well that is an orange chain you can see on the floor Chain I used to lift motor to put it on stand.. threw the cylinder piston is removed... The oil was fine as I had said the heads where repaired before I got the car, oil had been changed after that and car was driven with heads fixed and new oil.... Supposedly car ran great after head repair, but not for long... Also I will take a look at all the oil passages to make sure they are clean.... Also AutoZone has Cranks for $259 with core... So thats not that bad I guess... Want me to move that chain and take a new pic to make sure that is the orange you see???

Here is a new pic chain is on top of block (Bottom , Block upside down)
    Attached Images

Don't forget, you need a complete new set of bearings, both rod and mains. DO NOT reuse the old ones.

The Crank kit does come with some bearings right? Not sure what ones but was told comes with bearings, did not really understand the guy on the phone... But I caught it comes with bearings... I will make sure I get what ever bearings it does not have... Thanks for pointing that out, I probably would have just replaced the rod bearings....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.