94 Concours getting 13 MPG What could be wrong?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 94 Concours getting 13 MPG What could be wrong? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My 1994 Concours seems to only get 13.1-13.7 mpg around town with the A/C on. What could be causing such ...
    Twilightcall is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

94 Concours getting 13 MPG What could be wrong?

My 1994 Concours seems to only get 13.1-13.7 mpg around town with the A/C on. What could be causing such low mpg? I just changed the oil and filter (10W-30), changed PCV valve, fresh coolant and hoses, changed my trans. solenoids. I thought that the mileage would improve with it now shifting in all of the gears but it didn't help much.
    No codes are coming up. I see no visible fuel leaks and the engine runs very smoothly. Any info would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: 94 Concours getting 13 MPG What could be wrong?

I'll bet it goes up again around October-November timeframe. I'm almost willing to bet it's good old reformulated gasoline, AKA "summer blend" gas. Higher alcohol contents, use of MTBE or (please say it isn't so) methanol, etc. all contribute to lower gas mileage. It's the same volume of gasoline in the tank, but it takes more of it to get the correct air/fuel ratio with all the EPA-mandated goodies in there, so your mileage will drop. What was it in the April-May timeframe?
    Mike

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

There are two major factors concerning gas mileage. 1) vehicle and condition 2) driver.

You should be able to improve the mileage. You didn't indicate mileage on it but it might be worth new plugs.
    Driving style has a big effect. I am a somewhat fast driver but I try to be smooth and anticipate traffic and lights. Being smooth and steady on the gas makes a big difference.

Twilightcall is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Definitely not my driving style. I drive fairly low speeds on the road and don't gun it etc. Very smooth. It has just over 100K on it. The plugs look good but I am not sure when they were last changed. I wouldn't think that the plugs would cause it to drop to 13 or so. It has been at 13 every since I have owned it. (month or so) They are auto lite platinums. I will replace them in the next week or so. I just wanted to see if anything else might cause it. Thanks.

1995_Seville_SLS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

13 is not bad for short trips in town it is a Cadillac.
    I have a 95 Seville with 86000 miles and drive 3 miles to work one way in stop and go traffic. My average is 13 to 14 mpg unless I add some freeway action then I go up to 17 mpg no complaints here. On my last road trip I did get 22 mpg on the highway with speeds that exceeded the speed limit.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

I guess I forgot: 3) type of driving.

Short trips really hurt gas mileage!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.