What year N* engine block will work for 2000 deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, What year N* engine block will work for 2000 deville in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; and what special tools do you need to remove the heads? Thanks for any help...
    jaguarstype24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 deville

What year N* engine block will work for 2000 deville

and what special tools do you need to remove the heads? Thanks for any help

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: What year N* engine block will work for 2000 deville

I am not sure what 2000+ blocks will work, but I do know you can't use a pre 2000 block.

Once the engine is out, just conventional tools are all that's needed.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Well, Ranger, it depends on what you consider special tools.

He will need a 10mm male hex driver for the head bolts. A torque wrench. An angle gauge to tighten the head bolts (not if you use Jake's studs) and some other bolts correctly. He will need a very good impact wrench or a very long breaker bar to break loose the crankshaft damper bolt. A power steering pulley puller and installer for the water pump drive. There is a special tool used to lock the flywheel in place while timing the engine, but as I recall, I used a bolt and a pair of vice grips. I used a speed square on the cylinder heads to make sure the marks were at 90 degrees/12:00. If he is going to replace the rear main seal, a very special tool is required - I purchased mine directly form SPX for almost $300, although I have since seen them on e-bay for ~$25 used.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Very true, but I guess that with the exception of a power steering pulley puller and installer for the water pump drive and the flywheel locker, I consider most of that stuff basic if you are doing a job like this.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Very true, but I guess that with the exception of a power steering pulley puller and installer for the water pump drive and the flywheel locker, I consider most of that stuff basic if you are doing a job like this.
    I'm nit arguing with you, Ranger, but who knows what someone else considers basic.

BTW, I forgot to mention I purchased this harmonic balancer installer

http://www.kikaenterprises.com/images/CJ139p.jpg

Others have purchased a longer bolt and used it and greased up washers, but the installer was so slick, with the ball bearings and all, it made it a real pleasure. I think I paid around $20 for the tool on e-bay, new, and delivered

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.