Normal Compression on a correctly timed 1996 N*
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Normal Compression on a correctly timed 1996 N* in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Does anyone have an idea on what normal compression is for a correctly timed 96-99 Northstar engine when tested with ...
    IXSLR8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Normal Compression on a correctly timed 1996 N*

Does anyone have an idea on what normal compression is for a correctly timed 96-99 Northstar engine when tested with a compression gauge?

General Engine Specs: Heads were done at a shop. The shop said they were beautiful before they did any fine tuning on them. I strapped them down with studs, inserts and Cometic gaskets. Engine has approximately 50K on it.

Context: I'm currently working on a N* in another vehicle and am trying to determine if my compression indicates that I'm out of time by a tooth on my intermediate shaft to crank chain. I keep getting a PO300 code stating random misfiring and I've replaced all engine sensors, wires, coil packs, plugs, etc...:

Compression test (Cranked Over for 5 seconds):

1-145 lbs.
    2-150 lbs.
    3-150 lbs.
    4-150 lbs.
    5-150 lbs.
    6-150 lbs.
    7-150 lbs.
    8-170 lbs.

Second Test (while running):

1--75 lbs.
    2--80 lbs.
    3--83 lbs.
    4--80 lbs.
    5--80 lbs.
    6--83 lbs.
    7--85 lbs.
    8--83 lbs.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you, Dave.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Normal Compression on a correctly timed 1996 N*

The 150 psi group is perfect. The 170 is high (carbon ???)

I have never done a running compression test and see no need for one.

The guideline is that all cylinders should be within 10% of the mean - you're still in the ballpark.

Are the coils/plugs connected exactly as shown in the diagrams ? That's critical to prevent a nagging miss.

Click on the diagrams to enlarge.

IXSLR8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Thanks Sub. for your help.

I thought the compression looked pretty normal except for the high number 8 cylinder. I was thinking carbon too.

I'm very sure that I timed the motor, as per the posted diagrams, when I did the block inserts and such. I was hoping to see if my compression readings, as compared to someone elses correctly timed northstar, would tell me anything about my timing. This is the first time I have done a running compression test. Someone mentioned to do that kind of reading as well.

I was thinking that I may be off a single tooth on my counter balance shaft to crank sprocket but have the cam chains correct. I have a mild misfire and get the P0300 code as mentioned. I've replaced just about everything I can think of and am now second guessing the timing work I did.

Once again, thank you sir.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Hmmmmm.........Call Jake up in Canada at Northstar Performance - www.northstarperformance.com

or go back and find some posts by MikeLawson - he does some Northstar work out near Lexington, KY.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

If I recall correctly it is pretty easy to get the Northstar timing off by a tooth. I remember our old Guru mentioning something about rotating the crank 7 times to get it back in sync or something like that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.