head removal - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree2Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, head removal in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I agree Bigtone, I am installing Norms serts on 99 Seville with 90k on it. I already did my 99 ...
    walliss34 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 deville, 99 STS, both White

Re: head removal

I agree Bigtone, I am installing Norms serts on 99 Seville with 90k on it. I already did my 99 Deville with Norms and they worked great. I hope to just clean up the heads real good and put them back on with new gaskets, Norms inserts and head bolts. I think it is going to be about 600 bucks for the parts. Not bad if all goes as planned. 600 buck car with another 600 in engine and 600 in brakes and water pump and other misc. things,,,less than $2000 to get a nice ride that was 45k new? I love these old caddies!

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

We really like Caddies in my house. We have 3 Devilles and one newer DTS. My son has an 01 Deville, we did the headgaskets on it earlier this year with Norms. I used to have a 98 Deville, I did them with Timeserts about 4 years ago. From what I heard, the new owner still has no problems with it. I thought the timeserts were ok, and I really liked the rig they give you to drill, but the Norms are just so much beefier. I had a close call last summer where I thought the h/g was going in my 01 Deville, but luckily it turned out to be just the radiator, even though the block test showed positive. Lol

devill.dude is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by tateos View Post
    I believe the PS pump can stay, but you may want to remove it just to get it out of your way. Yeah - the bolts that are still good REALLY snap when they come loose, and you can very easily tell once you get to the bad ones.
    All of my studs snapped when removed but I drilled and studded anyways. Was never an option not to!
    I went with CarrollsCustomCadillacs stud kit. He shipped the very next day! USPS Priority.

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    jimsbox, are you thinking using an impact gun will lessen the chances of block thread damage? i have heard of folks who say they had no aluminum stuck to the headbolts and assumed the block threads were ok. did they than thread new headbolts into the stock block? i wonder if a stud kit, like ARP has would work ok in this setup? since the clamping is done on top of the head with a nut now?
    I too had no alum on my threads, but almost all of the bolts had coolant residue and corrosion formation at the top of the threads. Some so bad that I had to use pliers to pull them up through the head! I studded every hole anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete315 View Post
    Spin, any advise or wisdom is greatly appreciated. I'm guessing the studs just can't be tightened down until they bottom out? I really would love to read the instructions on the installation of the studs. Jake, maybe you could send me the instructions and your tips on pulling the engine out the top. Since the heads will be off soon, looks like it is not so much more work to pull engine out top if the studs can't be installed with the engine rocked forward.
    If I want to remove power steering pump to make more room, do I have to pull the pulley off? looks like the bolts that secure pump to block are hidden behind the pump.
    I pulled the whole subframe. I think it was easier than to try and pull the engine out the top. I've done many engine pulls, but the Northstar was the first one. I'm very glad I dropped it rather than pulled it.
    The studs don't get tightened down. They go in at a certain depth and that's it. The torque of the top nut is what will hold everything in place.
    As far as the power steering pump...There is one 1/2" bolt resting on the backside against the head(difficult to see). Remove that one bolt and the PS pump will come out in one piece. Those bolts behind the pulley will only remove the PS pump from the block bracket.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

my neighbor has 97 deville w/102k miles and bad headgaskets. is asking 1k or best offer. i can see it from my house. covered in snow. sure hope it has coolant in block? might just be water after overheating a few times.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.