head removal - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, head removal in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Jake, How would he check to make sure the stud shoulder was below the deck of the block if he ...
    spin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Seville STS

Re: head removal

Jake,

How would he check to make sure the stud shoulder was below the deck of the block if he installs the studs with the head as a unit? I would hate to see him go through all this work only not to have the gasket seal because the stud wasn't fully seated. I suppose he could run the studs in seperatly before the install to make sure they go all the way down, but that's no guaranty they would be seated the next time.

Pete,

Jakes studs are definately the way to go! I don't want it to sound like I don't want you to use them, I just want them to work right. If Jake says it will work, I would trust him. I used the studs on my car when I did the head gaskets and I'm a believer in the studs and Jakes work.

Pete315 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Eldorado

Spin, any advise or wisdom is greatly appreciated. I'm guessing the studs just can't be tightened down until they bottom out? I really would love to read the instructions on the installation of the studs. Jake, maybe you could send me the instructions and your tips on pulling the engine out the top. Since the heads will be off soon, looks like it is not so much more work to pull engine out top if the studs can't be installed with the engine rocked forward.
    If I want to remove power steering pump to make more room, do I have to pull the pulley off? looks like the bolts that secure pump to block are hidden behind the pump.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS

just 1 bolt on pump. tucked down low between pump and head. takes about 30sec to remove it.

Pete315 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Eldorado

thanks. could not believe pump held on with one bolt when I read it.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete315 View Post
    thanks. could not believe pump held on with one bolt when I read it.
    Yep - disconnecting those lines and the one bolt and get it out of the heck out of your way

jimsbox is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 DHS

I am doing a Stud job on a engine on an engine stand. Can I use an impact wrench to remove the head bolts without damaging the block or heads?

jimsbox, are you thinking using an impact gun will lessen the chances of block thread damage? i have heard of folks who say they had no aluminum stuck to the headbolts and assumed the block threads were ok. did they than thread new headbolts into the stock block? i wonder if a stud kit, like ARP has would work ok in this setup? since the clamping is done on top of the head with a nut now?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

ARP does not make a stud kit for the Northstar. The studs and installation kit come from www.northstarperformance.com.

I would be leery of using an impact wrench to break free the Northstar head bolts - they use a thread sealer/locker compound so things will be tight if the bolt hole threads are not compromised. Even GM does not recommend simply replacing head bolts with new treated ones during top overhaul - they recommend inserts.

In the order of things, least desirable to best, it's Timeserts, Norm's Inserts, and Jake's studs.

jimsbox is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 DHS

Submariner,
    I am going through this junkyard engine and am going to be installing Jakes stud kit. I am not particularly worried about damaging the factory threads in the block as they will be drilled out and retapped. I was more concerned about snapping one of the stretch bolts. If you still feel it may not be wise then I will go with the 1/2" breaker bar.

Thanks

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Lol !!! I'm an iron block man, primarily. I seriously doubt that popping out the bolts with an impact would hurt anything - just that PPPPPP (Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.)

the studs for a VW 4cyl inline motor will work on a stock unaltered block. maybe a new block? you can timesert the block and use these ARP studs. just a FYI

clutterking is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

I apologize for reviving this old thread but I think it's better than starting a new one. Were you able to successfully use studs on your engine while leaving it in your car? If I decide to do this project it'll be a few months from now when it gets a little warmer, I'm just trying to decide if this is something I might be able to do myself or if I should give up on the Caddy. Thanks for the help.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

The Northstar has to be removed for studs, there's no way to get to the rear with the engine in the car

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

You will NEVER get the rear head over the studs with the engine in the car.

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

Quote Originally Posted by clutterking View Post
    I apologize for reviving this old thread but I think it's better than starting a new one. Were you able to successfully use studs on your engine while leaving it in your car? If I decide to do this project it'll be a few months from now when it gets a little warmer, I'm just trying to decide if this is something I might be able to do myself or if I should give up on the Caddy. Thanks for the help.
    If you have decided to do it with the engine in the car, why not just use the Norm's inserts? I used them once and timeserts once, both with the engine in the car. There actually is plenty of room to drill and install inserts. I have never heard of a problem after installing Norm's, their track record is impeccable. I stick to my opinion that studs are overkill for a 15 year old car with 100k miles that will be used on the street for daily transportation.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.