Dowel Problem!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Dowel Problem! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I really messed up one of the dowels....Did that old trick by putting in one of the chain guide bolts ...
    malibuandryan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 97 Deville Concours and 2000 STS both with NP studs

Dowel Problem!

I really messed up one of the dowels....Did that old trick by putting in one of the chain guide bolts and clamped down on it......bad, bad idea.....I really don't have any dowel to grab now.....Can I use the bit that came with this stud kit, and drill out the bad dowel (very carefully)???..if not what do I do?..The other three are getting removed the right way for shure!............................By the way, I have a few holes drilled and tapped and ready to go!!....It's working great!!..Ryan

1997 Deville Concours

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

Re: Dowel Problem!

That dowel has to be out completely. The 17/32 bit will remove a little bit of the alignment pin but there will still be a thin shell left. It has to come out.

My advice would be to first drill out what you can, using the fixture plate of course, and then cut down the side of the dowel with a very sharp, small chisel. Very carefully. Then using a very small flat tipped screw driver, pry out what's left.

Good luck

Need parts for your Northstar Engine? www.northstarperformance.com

Jake Wiebe, developer of the SureGrip™ Cylinder Head Stud Kit

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Quote Originally Posted by 97EldoCoupe View Post
    That dowel has to be out completely. The 17/32 bit will remove a little bit of the alignment pin but there will still be a thin shell left. It has to come out.

My advice would be to first drill out what you can, using the fixture plate of course, and then cut down the side of the dowel with a very sharp, small chisel. Very carefully. Then using a very small flat tipped screw driver, pry out what's left.

Good luck
    I'll add that if you slightly damage the side of the hole that the dowel seats against it won't hurt anything. That is only the side of the hole only, be very careful not to damage the top of the block.

The side the dowel is going to seat against the side and the side doesn't seal anything, the top of the block does the sealing.

malibuandryan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 97 Deville Concours and 2000 STS both with NP studs

Got the dowels out!....I ended up welding a bolt to the three remaining dowels and out they came!...worked like a charm!.....Thanks for the help.....Ryan

1997 Deville Concours

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

I'm glad it worked for you!

- those pins can be a real pain....

Need parts for your Northstar Engine? www.northstarperformance.com

Jake Wiebe, developer of the SureGrip™ Cylinder Head Stud Kit

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.