Engine hot!!! Should I be worried????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Engine hot!!! Should I be worried???? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello all and thank you in Advance For your help Guys. I have a 2000 deville base model with 104000 ...
    ISHDAROCK is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

Engine hot!!! Should I be worried????

Hello all and thank you in Advance For your help Guys. I have a 2000 deville base model with 104000 miles runs like a dream. I. Purchasedthe car 8months Ago and always Read check cooant level when Car Was Turned on, when I hit info Reset It would not Come back only when engine is restarted. One day I decide to top off Coolant with 50/50 dex cool and from than on. Here and there maybe after 40 minutes of city or highway driving, engine temp goes up slowly until "engine hot-ac off" message Appears. I pull over for about 5 minutes and The temp goes back To the half Way mark this has been going on for 3 weeks now. I saw the coolant. Tank was very dirty and the water was very brown with deris in The tank, I got a coolant flush yesterday and took it out on da road and the flush improved the performance right a way. Should I worry about my gaskets if engine still overheats??? Also Recently (winter NJ) I've noticed a little bit of white smoke coming out of muffler a little more than every one elses car. Smoke smells a little gassy, and I'm only grtting 12mpg . I drive 80% city. How can I improve gas Mileage???? Thanks again guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: Engine hot!!! Should I be worried????

Make sure that the purge line is clear and flows coolant. If not, locate and clear the obstruction. If the overheating continues, get a block test kit from Napa or rent one from Autozone and test the coolant for exhaust gases.

Check the FPR for a leak. That will drop your fuel mileage and cause a rich condition.

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Can not locate my answer.
    So i will try here.
    1995 Notrthstar engine 170,000 MI
    The coolant temp according to digital Information center says: Cooling fans on at 217 off at 223
    Seems a bit warm to me. I am used to 190 systems.
    Is this normal?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Normal. My '97 (digidash) ran a consistent 205 (Summer) - 215 (winter).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.