98 deville best oil for low oil oil consumption?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 98 deville best oil for low oil oil consumption? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; i know all about how the northstars burns oil and its not bad for the motor but i was wondering ...
    undertaker0231 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac STS

Question 98 deville best oil for low oil oil consumption?

i know all about how the northstars burns oil and its not bad for the motor but i was wondering if their is a specific brand out their that doesnt burn the most. i am currently using mobil 1 full synthetic and it seems like i burned a quart off in about 800 miles and before i was using castrol syntec with the same results. anyone have any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 98 deville best oil for low oil oil consumption?

It's the motor, not the oil. Have you read the Technical Archives at the top left on oil consumption?

cl1986 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, 94 SLS got crushed

try using conventional oil, synthetic usually burns more and leaks more.....if the engine allows this.

Try pennzoil or quaker state. Ive heard some guys say one or the other makes it worse or better.

Ablsolutley no need for synthetic in this engine, alot of these engiens dont even have oil coolers and thats where synthetic oil shines, it can shed heat faster than conventional.

Question Re: 98 deville best oil for low oil oil consumption?

ok but now that i have the synthetic in there i heard i cant switch back to conventional or im going to ruin the motor?

res1n9k9 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 Deville

I also have a 98 deville, using synthetic, Penzoil, and seeing about the same miles per quart...and yes, I know it is the engine, I might consider going back to a conventional oil...which is what it had before I bought it..I've got about 51K miles on it

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

First, Synthetic motor oils do not burn more and leak more. Old wives' tale.
    I run 5W-30 Pennzoil Platinum synthetic and WIX 51522 filters, use a quart in 4,000 miles + (mostly rural and highway), and not one leak.

You can switch motor oils to your hearts' content and it will hurt nothing - only your wallet.

Run the recommended weight oil, dino or synthetic, that you're happiest with and don't overfill the pan. The correct level for a Northstar is halfway up the dipstick hashmark, cold. If you continually fill it to the top mark it will quickly burn off the overfill.

Take Ranger's advice and read the entire Cadillac Technical Archive, up in the black bar ^^^, particularly the one titled "Occasional full throttle operation is good for your engine" (or close.......)

IF your car has the HD towing package the oil cooler is in the hot side of the radiator tank, so the oil will always run at or above hot side coolant temperature: it must run this hot in order to vaporize acids and moisture from condensation. The resulting vapor is returned to the intake manifold by the PCV system for burning in the combustion process. (BTW, if you overfill a Northstar the oil is whipped into foam and vapor and the PCV system does its job and happily burns off the excess........)

onestout is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 deville

FYI - synthetic oils also do not transfer heat as well as conventional oils, that's what allows it to not break down as fast and last longer.

Not quite - you might want to Google "synthetic oil heat transfer".

They transfer heat just as readily, but are more stable at higher temperatures than conventionals.

onestout is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 deville

If that's the case then why in all of our testing could we only get half as many laps out of the valve springs and rear gears as conventional? These components failed from excessive heat when mobil 1 was used. Not sure what you found on google but these were real world tests done in real cars.

"Half as many laps"............are we talking apples and oranges, as in professional track racing against a daily driver car engine ?

Does your race engine (unspecified type) have the same cylinder head oil flow as a street engine (unspecified type) and does it operate in the same RPM ranges as a typical Northstar (majority engine in these FWD Forums) ?

What was Mobil 1's reply when you informed them that you were experiencing valve spring failure from excess heat due to Mobil 1 being inadequate for a race engine ?? If you can prove your theory, you can certainly bring down one of the biggest names in racing sponsorship. That would be quite a feat.

Not saying you're wrong in your spring failure theory, but I'll bet Mobil Oil would beg to differ.

(EDIT: If your theory was correct, why do several world famous car builders specify Mobil 1 for their high performance engines ?)

cl1986 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, 94 SLS got crushed

well you can have your opinions, but synthetic will leak more at storage temp, like overnight in the garage, take a look at my half case thread.....thats all synthetic oil that coated my cars entire undercarriage.

same on my jeep, if theres a leak, synthetic finds it faster.......

i bought the syn because menards was selling cases for $5 after rebate, i will not be buying any more synthetic oil.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I have heard that, but don't know if it is true or not. Never used synthetic.

Question Re: 98 deville best oil for low oil oil consumption?

ok guys lets stop fighting all i wanna know is if i switch back to conventional from synthetic am i going to damage anything?

GoFish is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V; 2000 STS

No harm in switching from Dino oil to synthetic or back. Best to change the filter when you do switch.

Synthetics will "creep" more than Dino oil, which is why you see some cars that never leaked on Dino oil develop some drips when you go to synthetic.

yeah i should of just put regular dino in there it seems the more i wanna take care of it the more i end up getting frustrated thanks alot buddy

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.