Water pump tensioner pulley replaced
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Water pump tensioner pulley replaced in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I'd been hearing a very high pitch noise for about 5 seconds when started in the cold. I thought maybe ...
    derone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac STS

Water pump tensioner pulley replaced

I'd been hearing a very high pitch noise for about 5 seconds when started in the cold. I thought maybe it was the Bose sound system at first and later started listening under the hood. I could hear a little crunching noise around the water pump only when cold. Pulled the belt cover, then the belt and the little pulley was tough to turn. Water pump turns easily. JThe car just turned 100k miles. Found just the new pulley locally for $40 at Carquest. A Gates part #38025. It's not a hard job to replace it; I'm glad I found out what it was, while in the driveway.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Water pump tensioner pulley replaced

Good catch, BUT others in our same year group with a high-pitched whine from the engine room at cold start may be hearing the A.I.R. compressor feeding fresh air to the exhaust manifolds in order to light off the cat...........................

derone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac STS

True that, it sounded more like a schrill noise and it wasn't consistent like the AIR emissions pump(s).

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

I just started hearing this the last few mornings on the ETC - very high pitched squeak. It is only for the first 20-30 seconds, and it is intermittent. I got out and looked the first AM, and it seemed to be coming from the water pump area. I assumed it was a worn, dried out tensioner pulley bearing. I planned on changing it out this weekend. I checked it out again this AM, and was amazed to see that the squeaking was not coming from the bearing - the squeak was from the BELT slipping over the tensioner pulley! Wild and crazy stuff! I could see stationary tensioner pulley, apparently with a locked up bearing, and the drive belt slipping over it, making a really loud squeaking sound. After about 20-30 seconds, the pulley started to turn and the sound went away, never to come back the rest of the day.

Anyway, needless to say, the pulley, and/ tensioner is getting replaced this weekend as planned.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Make an offering to the Northstar gods - that tensioner pulley could have stranded you in Possum Trot, Tennessee. As an aside, I'll bet the tensioner spring/swing arm is locked so there's actually very little "tension" on the belt itself........change the belt, too.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    Make an offering to the Northstar gods - that tensioner pulley could have stranded you in Possum Trot, Tennessee. As an aside, I'll bet the tensioner spring/swing arm is locked so there's actually very little "tension" on the belt itself........change the belt, too.
    Yep - that's why it's important to listen and pay attention to unusual sounds coming from your car

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.