headgasket repairs
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, headgasket repairs in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; 97 deville with 105k miles. runs perfectly. i am losing coolant. one caddy dealership had the car running all day ...
    bill6ft6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question headgasket repairs

97 deville with 105k miles. runs perfectly. i am losing coolant. one caddy dealership had the car running all day and could not find any leaks or coolant loss. so it seems to only lose it going down the road. yes i do suspect headgasket letting combustion pressures into the cooling system and forcing coolant out through over-pressurising the coolant system. am about to put it into another dealership for the big tests (co, hydrocarbon in expansion tank, compression tests) we know that the headgasket replacement is very expensive. but my question is this. i am torn to put so much money into a simgle factor fix, ie: not a rebuild, with the chances of the other head going at anytime. what are the prices of a single headgasket repair as compared of doing both gaskets while the engine is out of the car? also, what kind of warrenty can i expect from the repairs?

thanks
    bill

btw: thanks to this forum for so much excellent information.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: headgasket repairs

I am not sure about the prices but once the engine is out I think it would be a big gamble (and mistake) not to do both of them. Remember, the other side was under the same conditions as the one that failed. What ever you do, insist that all the head bolt holes be timeserted or you'll be doing this again in 10k-20K. There is someone on this or another board that had his done and it failed again in 16K. I suspect the dealer did not timesert. It obviously will cost more, but not as much as doing it again.

Red face Re: headgasket repairs

thanks ranger. oh you can bet that i will be totally interviewing the mechanics over this repair, thanks to the great info on this forum

bill

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Lightbulb Re: headgasket repairs

To expand a little more, they should use TIMESERTS, not helicoils. No matter what they say about helicoils, insist on timeserts.

You may not have anything to worry about with head gaskets, though. The cooling system won't be "overpressurized" by combustion gases. That's what the spring-loaded cap is for on the pressure tank. They're rated for specific pressures, which I think is 15 PSI on Northstars. If it exceeds 15, the excess blows out the overflow tube. They should be checking for combustion gases in the coolant and pressure-testing the cylinders. It's very possible you have one of the infamous water pump seal leaks. I don't know when the leaking occurs, but there was always a puddle in my garage after it had been sitting a while. Once the pressure dropped, it probably stopped leaking. I could never catch it leaking while it was running. So check the area under the water pump cover and pulley. If it's a water pump seal, replace it with an OEM pump. I've heard multiple stories about aftermarket pumps not fitting right and leaking after only a few thousand miles.

Let us know how it goes at the stealyership...
    Mike

thanks mcowdan,

big myistery with the engine. waiting on my bronco's transmission before i get in the dealership. i'll still have pressure in the morning at the surge tank??? didn't leak a drop all day at the dealership (they didn't charge me). my theory is that up to running highway rpm's, the gasket (head) is letting combustion pressure into the coolant passages and overcoming the 15 psi, causing fluid to blow. been the barsleak route, no noticable difference, know that if i run it hard, the coolant loss is faster. i can do about 150 miles before the coolant loss affects my cooling capacity.
    thanks again
    bill

jeffreykeithpike is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I suspected head gasket for about a year until the pin hole I had in the top hose finally became a big hole. Since I changed the top hose I have not lost a drop. I was losing about a gallon every five hundred miles.

OH IF I COULD BE SO LUCKY. bronco out of the shop this week, and then the caddy goes in to find it

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.