N* easiest cadillac engine to work on
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, N* easiest cadillac engine to work on in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I bought a 99 seville sts about 6 months ago, and since then I've cleaned the TB, changed the plugs ...
    cadi509 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V Tango int

N* easiest cadillac engine to work on

I bought a 99 seville sts about 6 months ago, and since then I've cleaned the TB, changed the plugs and wires (AC delco no worries), added a K&N air filter, replaced front bose speakers, and replaced the starter, anyways I think this is the easiest cadillac I've ever worked on my previous cadis were a 93 deville 4.9 and a 84 devile 4.1, both engines were much more difficult to work on especially the water pump on the 4.9, idk why so I've heard so many people complain about working on the northstar. Oh and I don't know if there's anyone on here that lives in washington state around yakima but if you do I am willing to help you work on your cadillac, just PM me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

FriarDDMC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XLR

Re: N* easiest cadillac engine to work on

.. well, I'm glad someone thinks the N* is easy to work on. I have just bought a 2005 XLR, and not knowing much about the engine, I have been reading other e/mails to get info. All I seem to read is about the horrors of Dex-Cool on aluminum engines, poor power compared to Corvettes and so on. I have had the XLR 3 months and I think it is great. I like the mass use of exotic metals such as aluminum where ever possible and an engine with 4 cams does not bother me. The XLR has a great pedigree with association with Lotus and Daimler Benz etc etc. I am used to doing my own maintenance on vehicles such as oil/filter changes, brake pad changes, rad flushing, even steering alignments. So I'll be needing a contact like you to help out. Thanks,...

I'm a guy that's constantly under the hood messing with something, these engines do require a lot of TLC and I probably treat my cadis nicier than some people do their kids its sad but its my passion, guess when you have to work hard to get nice things you appreciate them a little more.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

It all depends on what you are doing. Some things are easier, others are not.

^^Well ya I mean like maintence and replacing parts, I'm sure its not easy to pull the engine or tranny buts that's a job no matter what the car.

cl1986 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, 94 SLS got crushed

LOL, try doing a headgasket, then see how your attitude is LOL

or try replacing brake lines that no one sells parts for or even lines with the correct ends on them. What fun that is, after about $80 in just adapter fitting i finally got my brakes fixed on my sls, i went all over town looking for a 11mm bubble flare, no such thing around here.

I did notice that the 94 has the easiest heater core of any vehicle i believe, pull the glove box and its right there!!

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

I'd have to agree with Ranger on this one.... I dont own a N* but I do read the tech archive often. Two things come to mind: Alternators and spark plugs. Alt swap on 4.9 is a piece of cake. N* not so much.... Plugs on a 4.9? PITFA.

ponyboyt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97, 97, RIP 98, 99 STS with Jakes studs

it only hurts the first time.

i've done about 7 alternators, and a few starters. All of em were a B*... the first time but after that its all cake and icing. Had my entire air ride system apart 3 times now. All easy to do. Well, when you figure i can do most of those things in 1.10th the time it took me the first time, ya, its all easy now.

Hey I'm just sayin I don't think its so bad as most plp say it is I would rather do 5 starters on a northstar that one on a 4.9, I had a lot of consistant problems with my 93 deville which led me to sell it fast, but now that I bought a 99 sts I kind of wish I would have bought a 03 sts instead, I'm gonna be doing a 2 din dvd install here soon so we'll see how that goes?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Don't forget that the original head unit is part of the serial data bus and theft system. There are tricks which need to be done to insure that the car will even start after your install.................

If the original unit is a Bose, I think you have to change all the speakers and amps, too. Individual Bose amps drive individual Bose low impedance speakers.

cl1986 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, 94 SLS got crushed

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    Don't forget that the original head unit is part of the serial data bus and theft system. There are tricks which need to be done to insure that the car will even start after your install.................

If the original unit is a Bose, I think you have to change all the speakers and amps, too. Individual Bose amps drive individual Bose low impedance speakers.
    wrong topic reply?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

[/quote] I'm gonna be doing a 2 din dvd install here soon so we'll see how that goes?[/quote] Post #9, end of sentence.

PPPPPP - Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Ya I've been reading posts and other such things for about 4months, I got a gmos-06 tested it with a cheap cd player for a day (no problems) all the chimes worked no codes, and if I have to I will relocate the HU in the trunk, this isn't my first stereo install, I'm only changing the HU unit out cause I'm going to upgrade and I don't wanna do a newer navigation unit, stock units are not the best, I'm getting a pioneer avh-p4100dvd next week so you'll be seeing my install "how to" with video and pics soon.

eyekandyboats.inc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS(140K), 2000 ETC(284K), 1990 allante( 80K)

cadi509. its funny you would say your installing that Pioneer headunit. because 2 weeks ago i installed that EXACT unit in a GMC jimmy with bose.
    the install was stright forward however it did not match up properly, but its okay because i work with all plastics so i made my own mounts and filler piece. however. which brings me to my point.
    I dont think you will be all happy with that headunit! its sounds great in his jimmy But...... my stock bose navi is the superior hedunit. in Hi tones it is far better along with the Deep bass notes. He has a 10 in rockford fosgate in his trunk and it pounds a bit more then my stock Bose dual voice coil. However it doesnt have nearly the clarity.
    I would honestly look into something other then that headunit. from my personal experiences

Hm idk we'll see, I've had this planned for a while and when got the gmos-06 I hooked it up with an ok panasonic cd player and it sounded way better than the stock unit, but I do know that a lot of indash dvd units don't have as good sounding quality as a nice cdplayer cause the company focus' more on the features of the unit than the sound itself

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.