Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Grumble, engine dropping questions in Cadillac Engine Discussion; So we are basically done with the following the engine dropping checklist that was published last month.
I do have ...
So we are basically done with the following the engine dropping checklist that was published last month.
I do have a few questions though:
1. In the step by step that was published on the site, it mentions the ebtc unit. In the 94 caddy, that unit is in the trunk. Do I need to do anything in the engine with braking system to drop the engine?
2. I broke the shift linkage off of the plastic piece that mounts to the transmission. How do i get that plastic piece off? It wouldn't release from the metal piece that it mounts to. What am I buying to replace it?
3. Those damm, m***F****g fuel lines. We will get the right tool and hopefully they will pop right off. Advice always welcome
4. For the timing chain, should I buy a new tensioner or just leave it be?
5. I am replacing the waterpump, should I replace the pully too?
I also can't seem to figure out what part I need to replace on the part I broke. I took of the two bolts on the bracket that connects the shift linkage to the transmission. The part I broke was the dohicky the cable attaches to on the transmission. I cracked the plastic piece. What am I replacing?
That was a part of the shift linkage as cl1986 said. On the top of the pivoting point of the linkage is a nut that should have been removed rather than the plastic... I think you may end up needing a whole new shift cable to get that little piece of plastic...
I don't recall any difficulty with the shift linkage.
The ABS unit stayed on the car.
All chains and guides and tensioners were re-used.
The pulley for the water pump is part of the water pump - it comes with the new one, if you are changing it, or is already on the old one. If you mean the drive pulley on the cam, re-use that unless it is damaged. I reused the tensioner and it's pulley also; that said, I must admit I have heard some squeaking coming from that tensioner pulley area when the engine is first started, so I think I will have to change it, but that is an easy job.