Will I suck her dry if....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Will I suck her dry if.... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have modified my oil pan to start half way back. I took out the flywheel/Rear part of the oilpan ...
    customGTP is offline PLEASE UPDATE YOUR HOTMAIL EMAIL ADDRESS. IT NEVER STOPS BOUNCING.
    Automobile(s): 94 GTP RWD N*

Will I suck her dry if....

I have modified my oil pan to start half way back. I took out the flywheel/Rear part of the oilpan for it to fit over my crossmember better. I have yet to measure how much (qts) space I removed.

Question is: Will I drain the pan quicker than it drops back in?

If i need to add the space i took out, i will be putting it either on the sides or in the front.

Just wondering

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Will I suck her dry if....

I don't understand your question but I would not reengineer the motor or lubrication system if that's where you are going.

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Find out how much you took off first of all... Got any idea on the dimensions? It's easy to calculate quarts from cubic inches.....

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

The N* restricts oil to the lifters so it should keep more in the bottom end. I would think you're Ok but let's see if Bbob gives some input.He'd have access to testing on it.

customGTP is offline PLEASE UPDATE YOUR HOTMAIL EMAIL ADDRESS. IT NEVER STOPS BOUNCING.

yeah i cut out half of the rear of the pan so it would clear some things... AKA front sumped my oil pan ill try and post pics here tomorrow for ya

Anthony Cipriano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Escalade

You should be okay for drainback. The extra volume of oil in the pan is not for drainback protection it's for cornering capability. As long as the pan was modified so that the oil drainback slots are open on the sides I would expect the system to work fine. Hard to say positively without some pictures and/or testing but generally speaking what you describe shouldn't cause the oil pump to suck air. You will lose some horsepower due to the restrictive windage situation with the shorter portion of the pan but it wont be a lot. Make sure the oil level stays the same when you refill it the first time as overfilling the lesser volume pan to the point that the oil level hits the crank will cause severe aeration of the oil, etcetera.

i had to cut the oil level dipstick for it to read two slashes lower than the full mark. Which actually works out cause then Ill just lever the motor and fill the oil and then ill be within reason of the stock "full" mark. I cut 1.25 inches of the splash shield and the sump tube back.. thats the clearance i needed for the rack. ill post pics tomorrow... worked 14 hours today im off to bed.. Hope this makes sense
    T

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.