4.6 Northstar
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 4.6 Northstar in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; People, I am doing my irst Northstar head gaskets. So far so good, but the Haynes manual was a waste ...
    dtino is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 85 2dr Fleetwood & 02 DTS

4.6 Northstar

People, I am doing my irst Northstar head gaskets. So far so good, but the Haynes manual was a waste of money of the this issue. I found the tightening specs, but I need to get the tightening sequence. Can someone help here? I have a 94 Seville SLS which I really like and want back on the road asap, any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 4.6 Northstar

Chilton's and Haynes are useless - far too generic.

For your needs, right now, subscribe your car to www.alldatadiy.com - GM service manual as well as rate, labor, recall, warranty, Technical Service bulletins, more info than you can ever read for your particular car.

Otherwise, the GM manual comes from www.helminc.com or eBay.

Here's the torque sequence BUT there's a very specific method of setting starting torque and then three additional passes of a certain number of degrees of bolt rotation - there is not a final torque value.

Thank you, Thank you! Now if I can ask one more question, which service manual do I need to get? I look at your link and they are showing two, Shop\Service Info and one that they are calling a supplement. I will order right away, I need my car back as soon as I get it back together now that my older caddy is acting up.
    Thanks, dtino

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

I'm spending your $$$, but if you are looking at Helm, Inc. manuals OR Alldata I would order the manual and supplement - there are always running corrections published.

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

The 94 year has 2 Service manuals. 1 for chassis and drivetrain and the other for electronics. Guess which one is fatter.

First of all, THANK ALL OF YOU!! Everyone has been a lot of help in this new journey. I have one last question before I get deeper into this Northstar, does the intake have also have a sequence as to the tightening? Haynes show the sequence for the service cover, what about the intake itself?
    Thanks, dtino

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Are you planning on dropping the engine or are you going to try it in the car?

Here's a thread I did after doing one. There are other good threads that I lost links to so you will have to search (do an advanced search). The one by Tateos has a lot of tips in it.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ir-part-i.html

Thanks!, I am doing the head job while the engine is in the car. So far so good and it is coming apart fairly easy. It helps to have small hands. I hope to be done by the end of the month, I have to work and only get to do the car on weekends. I will be nice to be able to drive her again. My 85 Fleetwood has lasted me 25 years without any problems, I was hoping to get the same out of the 94, but things happen. I have to put in a heater core due to the overheating (engine found a weak spot), it looks like that job is going to be harder than the head gaskets! Many thnks to all of you.
    dtino

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

On the 94 there are only four 8mm bolts holding the intake manifold down. The tightening sequence is not critical, but I usually go in a criss-cross pattern.

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

I would not trust AllData for torque specs. They're a great reference resource but I'd go with a FSM for that type of project. I've found AllData to be wrongs about torque specs on a few different occasions.
    Ownership:
    91 Brougham d'Elegance 350
    02 Deville DTS
    01 Deville DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Only a few people have sucessfully done it in the car because that is by far the hardest way to do it. Bigtony (not sure if that's correct ID) is the only guy who said it wasn't bad.

Here's Tateos's thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...t-project.html

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Wait, I'm confused. Does the 94 SLS have a N*? I thought that was 4.9 till 95 or 96.

Well, apparently it does if you're asking so yes, doing that job in the car is a last resort ditch effort from what I understand.
    Ownership:
    91 Brougham d'Elegance 350
    02 Deville DTS
    01 Deville DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Not positive, but I think in '94: Seville and Eldorado got N* in both trim levels - Deville was the one that had 4.9L in Deville, N* in Concours trim. Fleetwood was 5.7L

I have found that the N* also was in the 93, I have found some used manuals for a 93 and am going to see what the differents is in the 93 and 94. So far doing the HG's in the car isn't hard at all, but of course my hands are thin and small and I am able to get to bolts most people can't. I was surprised at how easy the water pump was. The only hard part is getting the gas lines apart! And what were they thinking with the starter? LOL LOL I enjoy learning about this N*, I am a caddy man all the way and really want this N* to come out right. I have had my Fleetwood for 25 years and it has never failed to start (of course I am the only one that works on it). After the SLS is done I am doing a total restore on the 85 . I will have both car till I am gone.

Well I am updating my travels with my N*. So far I am down to taking the valve covers off, and it has been fairly easy to this point. I am not rushing it, I want this to be a good learning tool too. I have been looking things over as I am working on it, I hope to have her done by the end o this month. I will post more as I go along, again many thanks to everyone that has helped me along the way.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.