"check emissions system"
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, "check emissions system" in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 1996 STS with Northstar and whenever I accelerate quickly or "give it" to pass a car for ...
    diablo69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

"check emissions system"

I have a 1996 STS with Northstar and whenever I accelerate quickly or "give it" to pass a car for instance, when I come to a stop, the "check emissions" warning comes on as well as the service engine light, and the car stalls. I have to put it in neutral and re start the car. It will then idle high and come back down to normal idle. This will continue to happen until the car has been parked for some time and then runs fine until I give it gas as described above. I was told that it was a "PVR" valve that should be removed and cleaned to alleviate the problem. Is that the correct name of the valve, or am I looking in the wrong direction completely? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ben

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: "check emissions system"

I think you mean EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve. That is a possibility, but if you pull the DTC's, you'll find out for sure.

diablo69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

Hi Ranger, I thought that it was the EGR but my friend said that it was the PVR which I believe is a part in the Northstar engine but I can't find either. There was a diagram posted here somwhere showing where the EGR was located but I can't find it now. Do you know where that valve is located, and if it's possible to clean it and replace it? I was told that a mutual friend has the same car and he removed that valve and cleaned it out and the car worked just fine afterward. I opened the hood and found something that looked like the EGR but I want to make sure that I'm not going to screw something up by removing it incorrectly.

Is it located toward the back of the engine on the right hand side?

Thanks for all your help.

Ben

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Never heard of a PVR.

There might be a tutorial in the Tech Tips section on cleaning the EGR. It is a black "can" with an electrical connector on top. It is between the master cylinder and the TB. It definitely can be cleaned. Just did one on my wifes '96 Bonneville the other day. Hold it upright as much as possible so as not to let any solvent run into the "can". It can destroy the insulating varnish on the windings. Clean it till the pintle valve operates freely and does not stick in any position.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.