Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar Performance warranty-good in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Just wanted everyone to know that Jake stands behind his products with a warranty. Thank-you Jake. May your business prosper ...
I offered a full refund on the condition that I receive the exact engine back that I shipped out. I haven't received anything, I haven't sent anything, and I haven't refunded anything. This is news to me.
I figured I had a refund since $2650 was credited to my VISA. I then get a letter from VISA saying it is a temporary provisional credit, since I filed a dispute. Silly me, I thought it was from Jake himself. OK. I take back the praise.
Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4
MD Eastern Shore - Kent Island
Re: Northstar Performance warranty-good
Ah, From another site, I think this is the guy who claims the newly overhauled engine is burning about a quart of oil every 100 miles in one cylinder and has stonewalled on supplying amplifying information.
I think that Jake has every right to either have the engine back for examination, as is, or at least get a notarized letter from a professional Cadillac Technician or independent machine shop that the engine is somehow defective.
Yes, that was my other car that had the motor rebuilt by the Cad dealer. Bent one oil rail and scratched the wall. Burned oil and smoked like crazy. They took it back and pulled it out, supplied another block, now it is fine after 50,000 miles. They re-did it at no charge. Doesn't take much to make one of these go bad, I guess.
I smell a rat. Moreover, I smell a timesert job gone bad. 50,000 miles on a timeserted Northstar. With the "Plenty of WOT's" of Doug's right foot. Two 98 STS's. One has an engine in it from me.
Customer wants me to forward money in advance for the swap AND ship another engine before I receive the defective one back for inspection. Sounds like someone wanted two engines for the price of one with free installation.
From a simple business standpoint, it wouldn't make sense to send out another engine AND fork over removal/reinstallation costs without any shred of evidence there was a problem with the engine to begin with. Customer was non-compliant with my simple requests to have a compression/leakdown test done at my expense at a garage near him. Not allowing me to perform these tests, tells me he's afraid of the results.
Well if VISA is refunding you that money Doug, you can now go buy another engine for your other '98. The one that the time-serts let go in. But you sure won't be getting one from me.
I have had great customers. Even when things go wrong. They tell me what's wrong or what's going on, we work together on a solution, if I feel that something was my fault and I could have prevented the problem, I will pay for it. Simple as that. I did mention to Doug that after getting that engine back and tearing it down, if there was something seriously wrong that I made a mistake on, we'd talk about covering the R&R. Apparently that wasn't good enough for him.
I smell a rat.
If that $2650 you mentioned becomes a chargeback to my account Doug, you'd better be shipping that engine out to my shop.
For anyone about to comment on business ethics, business is 98% pleasing the customers whom you're proud to serve. Doing a good job, standing behind your work, taking pride in what you do. The other 2% is not letting yourself get taken for a sucker.