pull tranny, fix half case leak
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, pull tranny, fix half case leak in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; guess ill try this section, hope to get some response... Heres the tranny part of it. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...n-leaking.html Ok, im ok ...
    cl1986 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, 94 SLS got crushed

pull tranny, fix half case leak

guess ill try this section, hope to get some response...

Heres the tranny part of it.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...n-leaking.html

Ok, im ok with having to pay $600 to R & R the tranny......

but my half case leaks like a sieve, add 3 quarts between oil changes, and i dont think its burnin any of it....

Now i just put together a stroker motor for my jeep (made my 4.0 a 4.6L)

Im wondering if i pull both trans and engine if its possible that i could do the half case??

Or is there so many special tools and knowledge it will make it impossible for me?

I figure if im fixiing the tranny, i might as well save the tranny labor and do both myself.....

Or pull both and have someone fix the half case

Thought please, i need to get a car back

Read the half case thread in the tech tips section now.....

that really doesnt look that bad??

So i wouldnt be messign with the crank or anything.....or are the bearing in that half case?

What do you all need to buy (looks like alignment tool for sure) and cost to due this?

That might be an easy thing to do if the engine is already out.......

ah....so it looks like the half case is one complete main bearing cap so to speak....im still ok with that...

Where can i buy these alignment pins and the oil plate you have to get??

What else do i need to do this, i thought i saw somewhere about a puller for the crank pully? Someone said to not use a 3 jaw, one other said the manual says to use 3 jaw, yet another stil couldnt get it off anyway??

I have the service manual, and plan on using the half case thread in the tech tips.

Just need to know the cost of parts and tools and anything else i need like the oil passage plate?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ejguillot is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Re: pull tranny, fix half case leak

cl1986,

read my thread (I'm doing everything you're doing):

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...eadgasket.html

If you can pull the tranny, you can pull the engine. Your half case reseal procedure will be different than mine.

ok, ya i already read your thread, but you didnt mention anything yet on the half case....

did you buy the stuff yet for it?? The gm silicon, the oil dist plate, and i assume new oil pan gasket.....then the EN tools? anything else?

why would my half case be different than yours?? the tech guide shows both our years on it??

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Thumbs up Re: pull tranny, fix half case leak

That leaking trans is unusual - better investigate further before you pull it, maybe unnecessarily...unless maybe you are looking for a project? If so, in your situation, I would drop the cradle, get the trans rebuilt, get a new torque converter, do the half case and oil pan reseal, and do the HG repair while you're at it.

im trying to investigate.......no one has any answers...

and why would i do a headgasket repair when they are fine??

Get a second or third opinion regarding the trans leak - if they suspect a crack in the bellhousing area, they should be able to see it with the trans still in the car, even if they have to use a scope to see it.

Head gasket failure is a common problem that requires removal of the engine - usually by dropping the cradle. Once you have removed the cradle from the car. and the engine and trans from the cradle, the hard part is done. Why not do the HG thread repair and coolant crossover repair (replace the gaskets/seals) at that point, and be assured of many miles of worry free ownership? That's what I would do; otherwise, just R and R the trans, and leave the rest in the car. Adding 3 quarts between changes is pretty normal for a Northstar, and it's a lot easier and cheaper than replacing the half case, oil pan gasket, and rear main seal, which BTW could all be the source of your leak. You could do just the rear seal and leave the engine in the car, if you just do the trans.

well im not doing headgaskets when i dont need to....probrably never will have to with this motor.....only a very small percentage of N* have headgasket problems....

try this one....coat your garage floor with epoxy, then pour out 3 quarts of oil on it and see what kind of mess it is......should cover at least one whole stall

if you know its a lot cheaper than replacin the half case......thats my frickin question!!!! If im pulling the trans, it isnt much more work to pull the engine, so the extra little effort is all im worried about.....but i want to know the cost to fix the half case seal (parts and tools $$$)

Thanks

so just pull them out?? Dont worry about the cost of fixing the half case??

Will be starting tomorrow, was hoping someone had some info.....

You already know everything.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

You keep asking for the price of a half case seal...look up the parts. Ii haven't done one and most of the guys haven't either. I've done several HG's but I can't tell you what it will cost you to buy whatever you don't have.

We're glad to offer what help/advice we can but we don't know everything. A factory manual would be a great help for you, even if it's a year or two off. I did my first HG's with a 98 manual.

You are right on the HG's. If you have no symptoms why do that big of a job.

well its just a simple questions, these guys have the parts laying right there, they are doing it or have done it, so it shouldnt be that hard, didnt know it was that big of a deal usually people know how much the parts cost them and not just start buying stuff, what if an oil passge plate is $1000?

ill price it out myself i guess, no better place to get these parts from? Thats all im asking.

buggin123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 seville

Go check out Rock Auto.com, They seem to have the lowest pricing.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

start with rockauto.com or gmpartsdirect.com

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

This is how the FSM says to remove the crankshaft pulley:

Personally, I believe that all northstar powered caddies from 93-03 are destined to HG failure eventually. So I would change the head gaskets if I were in your shoes and had the money. To remove the tranny, it's easiest to remove the engine first or the whole engine/transaxle combo together. I don't know about the pricing on the halfcase seal because I've never had to do that job.

Quote Originally Posted by Krashed989 View Post

Personally, I believe that all northstar powered caddies from 93-03 are destined to HG failure eventually. So I would change the head gaskets if I were in your shoes and had the money.
    That's what I'm sayin' - an almost inevitable problem, and it's not a hard job to avoid a future chore.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.