Head Gasket Leak : NO OVERHEAT with coolant supplement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Head Gasket Leak : NO OVERHEAT with coolant supplement in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; How you fellas doing? I got great news and bad news on my trials and tribulations with head gaskets (dealer ...
    Eldorado_RED is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Red face Head Gasket Leak : NO OVERHEAT with coolant supplement

How you fellas doing? I got great news and bad news on my trials and tribulations with head gaskets (dealer says i got an internal head gasket leak, bolts are pulling out the block) . Well i went to the dealership i got 6 pellets which i installed in the top radiator hose. Keep the car running idle for about 15 mins, then revved the engine up for about 2 mins (the temperature started to climb when i did this). THe whole while, steaming is steadily flowing out the exhaust, non stop. So i got it off and call it a night.

The next day, i decide to give it a try. I crank the car up, no steam out the exhuast. The temperature meter climbed slowly (which it used to do before the overheating problem). So i decide to take it for a drive. Stop and go traffic for a mile or two. No prob, meter stays steady right at the center. So i decide to get on the highway for about 4 or 5 miles, im pushing it near 90 at times. NO OVERHEAT. But as soon as i pull into my driveway......the temperature meter starts to move forward. This broke my heart and spirit. But it did give me some hope

My question is, if i add more pellets, will that help as it seemed to stopped the car from overheating for a little while?
    Do i have to wait a certain period before adding more pellets?
    How much is too much to add?
    What do u think caused it to overheat again after that short drive?

Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated.

Sam

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Head Gasket Leak : NO OVERHEAT with coolant supplement

Sealant tabs were not meant to cure a leaky head gasket. If infact you have a bad head gasket the tabs are just a band aid and probably only give temporary relief.
    There is no waiting period to add more but I don't know how much is too much.
    Remember, the pressures and temuratures in the cylinders are quite high. I suspect they are high enough to unplug what the tabs plugged up over a short time. Unfortunately I think there is no easy way to fix a bad head gasket.

Eldorado_RED is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks for the replay Ranger sir. I think i remembered reading on a post one time about a guy that kept his car running fine by constantly adding coolant and seal tabs for his head gasket prob. I was hoping to do the same. I would be happy to get at least 100,000 out of this car, even if i gotta drive it straight to hell haha. Thanks for your time

Sam

caddysts is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I saw a liquid head gasket repair stuff in a can you add to your radiator in advance auto parts today ....heck its worth a try, but dont get too excited.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado_RED
    Thanks for the replay Ranger sir. I think i remembered reading on a post one time about a guy that kept his car running fine by constantly adding coolant and seal tabs for his head gasket prob. I was hoping to do the same. I would be happy to get at least 100,000 out of this car, even if i gotta drive it straight to hell haha. Thanks for your time

Sam
    Stranger things have happened and anything is possible. It it is a very small leak, maybe it will work. Nothing to loose by trying. Best of luck.

Quadrasteer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

There's a new product from Bar's Leaks just for head gasket repair. It's # 1100. It's so new that the only place it's mentioned on the site is at the end of the cooling system stop leak FAQs. I guess you can call them (800 521-7475).

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

NAPA sells a radiator stop leak product that is made from sawdust and oil well drilling mud (Bentonite) that fixed a cracked block in a Continental engine in a Clark forklift for me that has held for years. It comes in a blue plastic bottle with a small neck.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.