To hone? or not to hone
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, To hone? or not to hone in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I hope I don't sound too ignorant here, I have my 1997 seville in a million bits and pieces in ...
    buggin123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 seville

To hone? or not to hone

I hope I don't sound too ignorant here, I have my 1997 seville in a million bits and pieces in my work shop and I figured if I was going to the trouble of pullling engine to redo heads I would freshen up lower end with rings and rod bearings, The GM bullitens I read about replacing rings due to oil consumption state not to hone cylinders what do the experts think? tHANKS again

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Douglass Harroun is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 STS

Re: To hone? or not to hone

Could you quote the source on not honing more specifically? Date/ page/author, or however they are categorized?
    I recall our old "guru" Bbob advised not honing on rebuild. He was on the power-train team that designed the Northstar and rebuilt them. I've seen some posts from time to time that make me think someone saved at least some of his posts. Maybe somebody can re-post what he said about that. All his posts got taken off the site for legal reasons or something. I recall his dept had a comparison with a major commercial rebuilder "their way" vs his way and the other guys didn't do as well. It may have had to do with the companynot rolling the crank journals. Maybe also honing vs not honing. I've got definate ideas on the subject which I stated recently, others disagree. I'm sure they will be along shortly and tell you.
    Doug

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Don't even touch the bottom end unless it is leaking and you are trying to solve that. The lower end is practically bullet proof. Our old Guru said that they took down 250,000 mile limo engines and the factory crosshatch hone marks where still visible.

Douglass Harroun is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 STS

Was this the info you saw? It says it is important to NOT hone
    Doug

Bulletin 02-06-01-009C Oil Economy
    This bulletin addresses Northstar® oil economy only. The cleaning procedure in this bulletin should be done first and the oil economy evaluated. In most cases, cleaning the cylinders per bulletin 02-06-01-009C will restore the function of the rings to wipe the oil down the bore. If the oil economy after cleaning is still not satisfactory, then the revised piston rings should be installed. For an oil consumption concern, it is not necessary to replace pistons. The original pistons can be cleaned. The critical part of the cleaning process it to remove all the carbon deposits from the piston ring groves.

Important: The cylinder bore surface does not require any preparation when installing new rings. The repair would be ineffective if any honing is done to the bore surface.

This is the GM service bulletin I was referring to, Any Thoughts? This engine doesn't have excessive oil consumption, I just figured when is the next time the engine will be out? So for a couple hundred bucks rings and rod bearings are cheap peace of mind. I just don't know if I should hone cylinder walls? they look fine, (factory cross hatching mostly).

Document ID# 1368396

4.6L LD8 , L37 Engines Oil Consumption Greater than 1 Qt. in 2,000 Miles - cylinder economy #PI00606A - (Aug 13, 2003)
    4.6L LD8, L37 Engines Oil Consumption Greater Than 1 Qt. in 2,000 Miles

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.

Condition/Concern:
    Oil consumption greater than 1 quart in 2,000 miles on 96 -99 Cadillac Seville, Deville, Eldorado with 4.6L (LD8/L37) engines.

Recommendation/Instructions:
    Be sure to note all the possible factors for oil consumption. Perform suggested checks and the oil economy test to determine if the engine is consuming more than 1 quart of oil in 2,000 miles.

Before performing the oil economy test on 4.6L Northstar engines:

Verify correct oil level on dip stick after oil change fill.
    Verify the presence of the cam cover baffle through PCV hole.
    Verify the PCV valve is functioning correctly. If the valve is in question, replace the PCV valve prior to the oil economy test.
    Perform the 4.6L (LD8, L37) piston ring cleaning procedures in Bulletin 02-06-01-009.
    An oil economy test should be performed after the cleaning process is completed. Before starting this test, the full oil level on the dip stick should be noted and shown to the customer. The correct oil fill is 7.1L (7 ½ qts) with a filter. The dipstick should not be read for least 15 minutes after the engine has been shut off for an accurate reading.
    Verify when the vehicle returns after the oil economy test that the oil level is checked in the same exact manner in which the initial check was performed. If it is determined by the oil economy test that the engine is consuming more then 1 quart of oil in 1,000 miles, it is important that proper diagnosis be performed before any major engine disassembly. Perform the following additional checks/steps:
    Check misfire history counters if available. High counts indicate suspect cylinder.
    Check each bank heated oxygen sensor (h02s) for signs of oil burning, indicating suspect cylinder bank.
    Check for oil fouled spark plugs, indicating suspect cylinder.
    Perform cylinder compression tests dry, wet and leak down (listen for leak down at intake, exhaust, oil fill). Any cylinder compression or leak down numbers outside of the range of the other cylinders would indicate suspect cylinder.
    Remove intake and check for excessive oil present on back of intake valves, indicating valve guide scoring.
    Check valve guide seals.
    Check for missing/upside-down rings
    Check for possible ring end gap alignment.
    Check for cylinder wall irregularities.
    SPECIAL NOTE: The 1996 through and including the 1999 service information manuals contain incorrect engine specification values. the service information manuals list values that are for production, and should not be used for service specifications.

THE CORRECT ENGINE SERVICE SPECIFICATIONS ARE AS FOLLOWS:

Cylinder bore diameter: 93 mm or 3.661 inches

Cylinder bore taper (MAXIMUM) is 0.100 mm or 0.004 inch.

Cylinder bore out of round (MAXIMUM) is 0.100 mm or 0.004 inch.

The piston to bore clearance @ 50 mm from top of piston (MAXIMUM) - 0.004 inch.

Now that you have completed the above diagnostics for an engine oil consumption with no trouble found, install the updated piston rings P/N 89017431. Note: This part number consists of a ring pack that only services ONE cylinder.

Special Note: The cylinder walls should inspected for any damage. The cylinder walls do not require any surface conditioning. (no honing necessary). Also the 2nd ring should be installed with the notch side down in the cylinder bore and finally, be sure to use the reduced cylinder head bolt torques when reassembling the 96 -99 4.6L (LD8/L37) engine.

Models:
    (96, 97, 98, 99 Cadillac Deville, 4.6L LD8 Engine) and (96, 97, 98, 99 Cadillac Eldorado, 4.6L LD8, L37 Engine) and (96, 97, 98, 99 Cadillac Seville 4.6L LD8, L37 Engine)

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

Correct. 02-06-01-009C.

This bulletin addreses Northstar oil economy only. The cleaning procedure in this bulletin should be done first and the oil economy evaluated. In most cases, cleaning the cylinders per Bulletin 02-06-01-009C will restore the function of the rings to wipe the oil down the bore. If the oil economy after cleaning is still not satisfactory, then the revised piston rings should be installed. For an oil consumption concern, it is not necessary to replace pistons. The original pistons can be cleaned. The critical part of the cleaning process is to remove all the carbon deposits from the piston ring grooves.

Important: The cylinder bore surface does not require any preparation when installing new rings. The repair would be ineffective if any honing is done to the bore surface.

Bulletin No: 04-06-01-032 Nov. 2004

Important: Light vertical scratches that are not deep enough to catch a finernail are acceptable. If any of the cylinder bores are scored, that is not acceptable and the engine will have to be replaced.

I really appreciate the feedback, I guess I'll scrape the carbon out of the ring grooves, put new rings on, oil and install. Thanks a lot!!!

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Traditionally speaking, having rebuild a few SBC in my life I would say if you feel the need or they're an obvious reason to replace the rings then you should hone.

Having never worked on a N* like that, I have to agree that if there's not a definite problem, don't touch the bottom end.
    Ownership:
    91 Brougham d'Elegance 350
    02 Deville DTS
    01 Deville DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The ring type and hone pattern in a Northstar are a far cry from those in a SBC (or Olds 455 ). For starters, the Northstar uses light tension rings.

If the bottom has been opened (the halfcase removed) then there's a procedure for getting it all back together and having it stay together. The halfcase is actually a stud girdle, 4-bolt main caps, and lower half of the block all in one piece, so there is little room for error when replacing it. There's NO gasket, per se. It's a silicone bead seal because there can be NO space in the mating surfaces as this clamping surface determines main bearing clearance. If the engine had good oil pressure and normal consumption, there is (was) no reason to go into the lower end/cylinders.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Yeah - unless you have a definite problem that you need to address, resist your urge and leave it alone

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Oh that's right. I remember now. That was always the problem with rebuilding the N*, the honing patter was impossible or at least extremely very difficult to duplicate.

Having now been reminded of that I wouldn't touch a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    The ring type and hone pattern in a Northstar are a far cry from those in a SBC (or Olds 455 ). For starters, the Northstar uses light tension rings.

If the bottom has been opened (the halfcase removed) then there's a procedure for getting it all back together and having it stay together. The halfcase is actually a stud girdle, 4-bolt main caps, and lower half of the block all in one piece, so there is little room for error when replacing it. There's NO gasket, per se. It's a silicone bead seal because there can be NO space in the mating surfaces as this clamping surface determines main bearing clearance. If the engine had good oil pressure and normal consumption, there is (was) no reason to go into the lower end/cylinders.
    Ownership:
    91 Brougham d'Elegance 350
    02 Deville DTS
    01 Deville DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

I just checked the stock rings today on a '99 Northstar block- with about 120,000 miles. I placed the rings in a stock bore and squared it up, and checked end-gap. Still well within stock specs and no wear to really speak of- if any. The real cause of some of the oil consumption is the baked-on oil sludge around and behind the rings in the grooves. The rings get stuck, badly. There is no amount of top-end cleaning solution that will completely remove it. It may help, but removing the pistons and physically cleaning each ring groove and rings with carb cleaner will do a much better job. Carb cleaner contains xylene and that breaks up baked-on sludge better than anything else I've ever used.

ponyboyt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97, 97, RIP 98, 99 STS with Jakes studs

i have a VIN9 here with over 240,000 miles that doesnt blow smoke... i would like to see what it looks like inside... maybe ill hit a tree this winter?

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by 97EldoCoupe View Post
    I just checked the stock rings today on a '99 Northstar block- with about 120,000 miles. I placed the rings in a stock bore and squared it up, and checked end-gap. Still well within stock specs and no wear to really speak of- if any. The real cause of some of the oil consumption is the baked-on oil sludge around and behind the rings in the grooves. The rings get stuck, badly. There is no amount of top-end cleaning solution that will completely remove it. It may help, but removing the pistons and physically cleaning each ring groove and rings with carb cleaner will do a much better job. Carb cleaner contains xylene and that breaks up baked-on sludge better than anything else I've ever used.
    I'll bet synthetic oil is better than dino for avoiding that problem, but I will also say that I have leased or owned 4 N* cars, and they all went about 1,500-2,000 miles per quart of oil, which is fine with me. The only one that has seen syn is the 2000 DTS; I first started using syn in it at 71K miles after my father sent it out to AZ - not even sure why I did that, because my '97 ETC has always been lubricated with the cheapest 10W-30 around that meets the requirements, be it Shell, Chevron, or Wal-mart brand, with no oil related issues, at least not yet. Anyway, I do think dino oil is fine, but depending on the severity of use, the syn might be a little better at not coking up in the ring lands.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.