Deleting govnor on a 2000 eldorado????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Deleting govnor on a 2000 eldorado???? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Deleting govnor on a 2000 eldorado???? Dose annny one know how to get ride of that or wat chip i ...
    loudmusic88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): eldorado

Deleting govnor on a 2000 eldorado????

Deleting govnor on a 2000 eldorado???? Dose annny one know how to get ride of that or wat chip i have to buy or wat ever it takes ann one know?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Deleting govnor on a 2000 eldorado????

No such thing as a chip. It's the whole PCM and no one on earth makes a programmer for it except GM.

What is the speed rating of the tires on your car's door sticker ? (That's the setting in your PCM speed limiter/governor)

S = 112 mph
    T = 118 mph
    H = 130 mph
    V = 150+ mph (Z also)

Take a look at www.WestersGarage.org and surf through until you find your (OBD-II) PCM info.

Be advised that you cannot, ever, rev the engine above 4,000 rpm in P or N. It's permanently set that way.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Reminds me of this commercial that I love:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQNKuXkOR0U"]YouTube- raisin bran commercial[/ame]

Heh, heh..........yep.

The "V" in my post should have been "W/Z".

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

I stumbled across a weird car. I'm confused as to why it's only this car that I've ever experienced it. T/C off (inop), with 1st gear starts. It's a 2000 STS. I did the HG's on it about 9 months ago, and it came up for sale. My dad bought the car. HG's are still good but it has some codes coming up that I need to deal with. I'm not sure if it's Z rated or not. But I have a theory about Cadillac PCMs. And that theory is that a few out there exist with a factory performance tune. Some cars act differently than others. Some just want to run. I've test driven a lot of customers' cars (with their permission) and some seem slow. Others move like a jet. My dad had a '97 STS that was slow. I have a friend with a 97, H rated, that really performs. Both cars run good with no misfires or thrown codes.

My 1998 STS shifts so firm even in "D" the tires consistently chirp in the 1st-2nd shift, and occasionally break traction above 40MPH if hammered. Still stock.
    My 1997 Eldo is slow from a standstill. It has the 4.0 so it's not surprising.
    I did some work on a 1997 ETC that was slow as well, 4.6 vin 9, Z-rated.

There's a man in Hamilton, ON by the name of Joe (in case he reads this) who has a 2000 DTS. Moves like a bullet. I could not believe how fast it was and how it shifted. I did the HG's and delivered it back to Hamilton early this year.

(Unless all 2000+ cars do this) I find it very strange that with the ABS and T/C warning lamps on, my dad's 2000 STS takes off in first. "No ABS Data" - there's an issue in the connection to the ABS system that I have to look at. But when my STS did this, I lost all use of first gear. As with every other STS I've ever heard of and driven. I want to get the system operational again and then manually turn the T/C off. If it still retains the use of first, I'll be surprised.

There is an answer to the tuning issues. I think in some of these cars lies the answer. And it's not in modifying the tunes, just replacing with a different factory tune. I'm 90-95% sure they're not all the same, performance wise. As soon as I get a tech 2 I'm going to do some comparing. I have a lot to learn about electronic tuning- I miss the cars where you could play with the jets and change the timing manually, change the advance weights.... but in a lot of ways, the electronic systems are better.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Jake, I think I recall that at some point (not sure when) GM did away with the 1st gear lockout when the T/C was inop.

My 2002 (and others in here) have a TC control switch on the console deck. You use it to disable TC entirely and you get a DIC message which you toggle off. The transmission functions as normal - all gears, and with TC OFF, you drive hard enough to engage PAS and the transmission tightens up even more.

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

OK so it's the 99 and prior years that you lose 1st gear with when turning T/C off. Thanks Sub- I wasn't sure.

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

My 94 currently has a ground issue to the EBTCM and I get the "TRACTION DISABLED" message and the ABS light, yet I also seem to have all gears working normally. It's interesting because I've accidentally spun the tires on multiple occasions when the pavement was wet. I might also add that the drivetrain and PCM is actually from a 94 Z rated STS, but the EBTCM is the original H rated one that came with the eldo base model.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.